What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

mozza91

Coach
Owwww poor little salty baby :(

Lets be real about this. You dont like him because:
1. He's better than Andrew Johns and will be remembered as the better footballer, and that f**king burns you to your core.
He’s achieved more but in no way is he a better footballer. There’s not one aspect of Cameron Smith’s game that was better than Johns’.

mave

Coach
He’s achieved more but in no way is he a better footballer. There’s not one aspect of Cameron Smith’s game that was better than Johns’.

Well except the fact he has seemingly done it all drug free, of course.

Johns was the better player, hands down. He carried Newcastle. I've never seen one man change an Origin game the way he did in 2000, and he did it playing out of position at dummy half. Had a great kicking game and was a tough defender, just like Lewis.

We can safely say Johns made the game a better spectacle.

Smith on the other hand has tried to turn it into onionball with his tackling and ruck infringements, plus the time wasting tactics.

Last edited:
That one example isn't sufficient to pass judgement on two 19 year olds not being any good because they didn't win Origin everytime they played.

Johns and Fittler didn't either, so you can write them off based on that criteria.

As for that 87 side not being star studded. It's a veritable Who's Who of QLD Legends

View attachment 43086
You need to stop taking people's posts out of context. Clam down, FFS.!

I brought up 03-05 Origin to highlight that they are mortal, just like everyone else. It's also the only time they had to play against established stars who were in a stronger team. Johns was hardly at his peak around this period as his body was breaking down.

Reflector

Juniors
But Paul Gallen was no angel and didn't pretend to be, not like Smith.....

And the media didn't collectively deify Gallen.

This is the thing with Smith-

There have been other players over the years who were bigger grubs.

Players who also tried to gain an unfair advantage through financial or physical doping.

Players who would have a cry to the ref over the smallest slight.

And some have done it worse than Cam has.

But Cam is the complete package- he is guilty of all of these (besides physical doping). Yet while other players have (mostly) been penalised and chastised in the media for their sins, Cameron has largely gotten away with it. Sure the Storm had two Premierships stripped, but that applied the operation as a whole and not Cameron individually. Cameron was allowed to spend the next decade enjoying the fruits of a system he knowingly cheated. If Gallen or Inglis or a player like that claimed they had no idea signing multiple contracts was suspect, you could genuinely believe them.

But (unlike those players) Cameron isn't dumb. He knows exactly what he is doing- and yet large sections of the media, even fans, act like his shit smells like roses and the only people claiming his shit stinks are just "bitter".

mongoose

Coach
Smith has had the best career i've seen and I have no problems with him being considered the greatest of all time. I think Johns, Lockyer and Thurston at their peaks are more dominant players though and could (legally) influence a game more than Smith.
Smith's ability to be in the top few players in the game at 37 is insane though.

SBD82

Coach
But Paul Gallen was no angel and didn't pretend to be, not like Smith.....
Agreed. Although Gal loved to sook whenever someone gave it back. Had a few victim cards to play.

What I will say in Gal’s favour is that he would have done the same grubby shit in the 70s and 80s and taken his punishment. Would have loved to see the curb stomping that Smith would have received.

Reflector

Juniors
Agreed. Although Gal loved to sook whenever someone gave it back. Had a few victim cards to play.

What I will say in Gal’s favour is that he would have done the same grubby shit in the 70s and 80s and taken his punishment. Would have loved to see the curb stomping that Smith would have received.

Would love to see the current Melbourne Storm go back to 1978 and play the Magpies...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cam Smith >>>>>> Andrew Johns >>>>>> the rest. End of.
Maybe if Johns had stayed off the booze and drugs he might have been as good as Cam is?

Smith has had the best career i've seen and I have no problems with him being considered the greatest of all time. I think Johns, Lockyer and Thurston at their peaks are more dominant players though and could (legally) influence a game more than Smith.
Smith's ability to be in the top few players in the game at 37 is insane though.
Smith does have an influence on games like no one else.

I think he tarnished his legacy somewhat by bringing the curtain down on his Origin career right when NSW wrestled the advantage away from Queensland.

If he's so good, why did he turn his back on his state when it needed him most?

Meninga played Origin right up until his final year in a losing team.

Canard

Immortal

I think he tarnished his legacy somewhat by bringing the curtain down on his Origin career right when NSW wrestled the advantage away from Queensland.

Yes, hardly any players have retired from rep football in the twilight of there careers.

And after playing only 42 games for QLD, he could have given more.

lazza

Juniors
Why doesn’t Cooper Cronk get more recognition than smith? He helped roosters go back to back, beat the storm with 1 arm in a GF to get a personal 3 peat and when he retired, roosters weren’t able to go back to GF? Also didn’t nearly do as many chiropractor moves than smith did.

mongoose

Coach

you are just cherry picking nothing details as per usual

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why doesn’t Cooper Cronk get more recognition than smith? He helped roosters go back to back, beat the storm with 1 arm in a GF to get a personal 3 peat and when he retired, roosters weren’t able to go back to GF? Also didn’t nearly do as many chiropractor moves than smith did.

I think Cronk is massively under rated in the Storms success. It seems ever since the media decided to label him with a "manufactured" and "lacking natural talent" he was never really given the respect he deserved. Between Smiths incredible ability to control a game and lead th eteam, the lightening attack of Slater and the ability of Cronk to always make the right decisions it was a real trifecta of different skill sets that created the Storms dominance. Storm has done well in losing two of those three to keep it up. Shows just how dominant Smith is.

SBD82

Coach
He gets recognition from me. The GOAT for making those around him better. His understanding of the game from a team perspective is second to none.

mongoose

Coach
Cronk was a brilliant organizing half, maybe the best pure organizing halfback ever but i think he could be a little robotic.

Latest posts