What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone confirm this...?

Stoner Rock

Juniors
... that St George are the first Minor Premiers to be knocked out in week 2 of the finals?

There have been a number of instances that I can see of teams losing two straight to be knocked out in week 3, even during the era of 4-team finals (St George '68 and Manly '71 when finals were played one game per week). In 1928 St George were even knocked out in week one (only 2 semis that year, both on the same day).

So far I haven't found any instance of a Week 2 knockout.

user_nat

Coach
Definently the first to get knocked out on the current system.

You would think it has to have happened sometime in the last 100 years though.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Souths were Minor Premiers in 1989, knocked out in 2 straight weeks and got the Spoon the next year.

Canterbury and Cronulla in 1993 & 1988 also went out in straight sets.

sh*t happens.

Yes they are first to be knocked out in Week 2. Other teams have been minor premiers and knocked out in week 3 under the top 5 system.

LOL Dragons. Breaking the records of the 'Chokistory' Books

choking.jpg

Stoner Rock

Juniors
Souths were Minor Premiers in 1989, knocked out in 2 straight weeks and got the Spoon the next year.

Canterbury and Cronulla in 1993 & 1988 also went out in straight sets.

sh*t happens.

Once again, all three examples made it to WEEK 3 of the finals (admittedly only because of a finals system that was kinder to the minor premiers).

I just find it interesting that it that in 102 seasons with so many different finals formats it's happened so rarely.

Cletus

First Grade
Once again, all three examples made it to WEEK 3 of the finals (admittedly only because of a finals system that was kinder to the minor premiers).

I just find it interesting that it that in 102 seasons with so many different finals formats it's happened so rarely.

They lost two games in a row though didn't they?

skeepe

Immortal

In the top 5 system though it was impossible for the minor premiers to be knocked out in week 2, given that they had the first week off.

Going out in week 3 in the old system would be exactly like going out in week 2 in the current system.

Stoner Rock

Juniors
They lost two games in a row though didn't they?

Of course, but that's not the point I'm making. Certainly what the Saints have "achieved" is no worse than those other teams but combined with the current finals system it has resulted in a situation never before seen in 102 years.

Hanscholo

Bench

Well that is because the Macintyre system has everyone playing in the first week, then the losers playing every week after. Its actually not that much of a big deal. In other systems many many sides have lost two straight games over the course of three weeks, it really doesnt matter, losing two straight is the key here, not the amount of weeks. It came within a few seconds of happening to Melbourne last year too.

Latest posts