What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the internet really spy on your conversations?

The feds caught all those blokes on their encrypted apps recently through a plant.

For all of their tech savvy, the gang werenā€™t successful in screening their own.

So when the brits cracked the enigma code, they had to sacrifice a few convoys etc to ensure the nazis didnā€™t wise up.

Same tactic is used today. Poses some tough ethical questions -do you let innocent people get caught up in things, perhaps dangerous things.

See also Scott A Rush, Bali nine. Visit the family website, get your letters off, hes learned his lesson, weā€™ve saved his life -now lets bring him home.

No man left behind ladsters.

Last edited:
The feds caught all those blokes on their encrypted apps recently through a plant.

For all of their tech savvy, the gang werenā€™t successful in screening their own.

So when the brits cracked the enigma code, they had to sacrifice a few convoys etc to ensure the nazis didnā€™t wise up.

Same tactic is used today. Poses some tough ethical questions -do you let innocent people get caught up in things, perhaps dangerous things.

See also Scott A Rush, Bali nine. Visit the family website, get your letters off, hes learned his lesson, weā€™ve saved his life -now lets bring him home.

No man left behind ladsters.

On this note, a side story..

my best matesā€™ grandmother turned out to be part of the code crackersā€¦ the role Keira Knightley played in The Imitation Game is based on her.. but more the pointā€¦

She didnā€™t say a single thing to even her closest of family and friends until the twilight of her life. Kept her word to keep everything in ā€œthe Bletchley circleā€ to herself during and beyond the war.

Was an absolute revelation to her family. Values ehā€¦

These days youā€™d find people selling that story to the highest bidder ASAP. But then it was duty for King and Country. So much more admirable..

On this note, a side story..

my best matesā€™ grandmother turned out to be part of the code crackersā€¦ the role Keira Knightley played in The Imitation Game is based on her.. but more the pointā€¦

She didnā€™t say a single thing to even her closest of family and friends until the twilight of her life. Kept her word to keep everything in ā€œthe Bletchley circleā€ to herself during and beyond the war.

Was an absolute revelation to her family. Values ehā€¦

These days youā€™d find people selling that story to the highest bidder ASAP. But then it was duty for King and Country. So much more admirable..
The greatest generation. I dip my hat to her memory.

The Rosco

Bench
2 days ago, snuck around the corner ( 5 houses away) to a mate's place . . . haven't seen him since lockdown.
He was showing me his new workbench he built, and in his garage we spoke about his sexy Milwaukee sliding drop saw.
This arvo, open my facebook, there's an ad for a sliding drop saw.
Merkins are watching you.

2 days ago, snuck around the corner ( 5 houses away) to a mate's place . . . haven't seen him since lockdown.
He was showing me his new workbench he built, and in his garage we spoke about his sexy Milwaukee sliding drop saw.
This arvo, open my facebook, there's an ad for a sliding drop saw.
Merkins are watching you.
Which explains my personalised ads on lu:

* lingerie for pregnant Eskimoā€™s
* discount assorted rubber shoe-horns
* Shane Richardsonā€™s book of cream donuts
* How to Sell to tightwads by @horrie hastings- 10 part podcast, millionaire by week 7 guarantee.

Wizardman

First Grade
It deadset happens too often for it not to happen. Conversations with mates on facebook messenger....later, it pops up as an ad on facebook. I remember talking to a mate about the Val Kilmer movie "Top Secret". A facebook ad pops up with a special edition dvd......lol.

It's been explained to me from IT types I know quite well...

Rather than listening in on conversations.... the "Big Data" or data network if you will knows who you are friends with (eg on facebook), who's near you/neighbours etc - google maps, gps etc etc - where they live, and where they have gone by phone tracking / QR codes, such as shops (Where you've been and how long you've been in there for). And also based on your activity on socials (eg who you engage with in likes, views etc etc the most...).

And thus, it can work out to promote ads to you of stuff your neighbour may have purchased (ie the Milwaukee kit mentioned before), a new car, etc etc. Similarly if a neighbour/friend has suffered grief - lost a love one or has someone gravely ill - which could be that a friend has checked into a hospital or something has been posted.... then you - being connected and engaged with them... might want to send flowers.... and ads will pop up. Just some examples...

It sounds reasonable (although still concerning) in theory... and might explain many examples of spying etc.

One thing that gets me though is bank transactions for things I haven't had to go to a shop for, rather paying by phone app etc.... how that leads to targetted ads is alarming. Shouldnt my banktivity be secure???

And another alarming thing, what prompted me to post this thread - when that I yelled at a dog barking next door to me, to find an ad on how to stop a barking dog popped up here on LU not long after..... From neighbours I don't engage with - and who (as I found out later) didnt have their pets registered as required by law.... frigging alarming.

I've come to the realisation that its more likely than not.... that my phone is listening in on me... and you.

It's been explained to me from IT types I know quite well...

Rather than listening in on conversations.... the "Big Data" or data network if you will knows who you are friends with (eg on facebook), who's near you/neighbours etc - google maps, gps etc etc - where they live, and where they have gone by phone tracking / QR codes, such as shops (Where you've been and how long you've been in there for). And also based on your activity on socials (eg who you engage with in likes, views etc etc the most...).

And thus, it can work out to promote ads to you of stuff your neighbour may have purchased (ie the Milwaukee kit mentioned before), a new car, etc etc. Similarly if a neighbour/friend has suffered grief - lost a love one or has someone gravely ill - which could be that a friend has checked into a hospital or something has been posted.... then you - being connected and engaged with them... might want to send flowers.... and ads will pop up. Just some examples...

It sounds reasonable (although still concerning) in theory... and might explain many examples of spying etc.

One thing that gets me though is bank transactions for things I haven't had to go to a shop for, rather paying by phone app etc.... how that leads to targetted ads is alarming. Shouldnt my banktivity be secure???

And another alarming thing, what prompted me to post this thread - when that I yelled at a dog barking next door to me, to find an ad on how to stop a barking dog popped up here on LU not long after..... From neighbours I don't engage with - and who (as I found out later) didnt have their pets registered as required by law.... frigging alarming.

I've come to the realisation that its more likely than not.... that my phone is listening in on me... and you.
Serious criminals donā€™t use tech at all.

I suppose if they did, theyā€™d get ads popping up for crow bars, keys, concealed weapons, gloves, strangers DNA to leave at the scene, etc!

Reported recently Apple wants to capture and expose child abuse material from iPhone and pc photo files. Being opposed by some, but I donā€™t know their arguments against this disclosure.

Well well..

Chatting to my dear yesterday about a bunch of clothes her girls wanted me to get for them on a trip to Sydney I had late last year, at Culture Kingsā€¦

Whattaya know, Iā€™ve now got Cuiture Kings ads popping up on LU today.. never seen them before nowā€¦

Thereā€™s no Culture Kings stores in SA so canā€™t be linked to anyone I know here who may have been there /made a purchaseā€¦

Spying

Last edited by a moderator:
Well well..

Chatting to my dear yesterday about a bunch of clothes her girls wanted me to get for them on a trip to Sydney I had late last year, at Culture Kingsā€¦

Whattaya know, Iā€™ve now got Cuiture Kings ads popping up on LU today.. never seen them before nowā€¦

Thereā€™s no Culture Kings stores in SA so canā€™t be linked to anyone I know here who may have been there /made a purchaseā€¦

Spying Muthafarkersā€¦.
Beautiful SA!

lu want to send me back to uni according to the ads in computing today.

They must know my iPhone is junk.

Latest posts