What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CANBERRA RAIDERS V SYDNEY ROOSTERS Team

raidersforme

Juniors
Smith Returns to boost Raiders
smith_426.jpg
June 20, 2006
spacer.gif
Jason Smith is set to make his return to the Raiders line-up on Sunday, after being named at five-eighth for the green machines important clash with the Roosters at Canberra Stadium.​
Smith’s return from a hand injury will see Todd Carney move to halfback, while Lincoln Withers will start at hooker to cover for the injured Simon Woolford.
David Howell also returns from his one week suspension, and will move onto the Raiders wing, with Craig Frawley moved to the bench for the beginning of the match.
Alan Rothery has been named as 18th man for the Raiders, after Ben Jones was ruled out this week with a hand injury.
The Raiders were given the chance to find out who was the fastest man on four wheels earlier today, when they took to the track at Fyshwick’s Grand Prix Carting.
Jason Croker won the final in controversial circumstances, after race leader Phil Graham was forced into the wall by second placed driver Nathan Smith.
In a Steven Bradbury type incident Croker was able to speed past both drivers when Smith was red flagged, taking home the coveted Raiders trophy for the 2006 Go-Kart champion.
CANBERRA RAIDERS V SYDNEY ROOSTERS
CANBERRA STADIUM, SUNDAY JUNE 25, 2.30pm

1. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE (C)
2. ADRIAN PURTELL
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. ADAM MOGG
5. DAVID HOWELL
6. JASON SMITH
7. TODD CARNEY
8. DANE TILSE
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
12. JASON CROKER
13. ALAN TONGUE

INTERCHANGE
14. MARSHALL CHALK
15. MICHAEL HODGSON
16. CRAIG FRAWLEY
17. MICHAEL WEYMAN
18. ALAN ROTHERY

http://www.raiders.com.au/season/news/06062001/

Raider Azz

Bench
with that forward pack and the return of smith we will hopefully smash the roosters. not sure what the point of having frawley on the bench is though, maybe one of the backs are in doubt?

dubby

Bench
Frawley is on the bench as a reminder of his laziness.

That is a very good team, and it will be interesting to see how a Carney-Smith combo goes, the Carney-Linc combo won 3 in a row before losing to the competition leaders at home..

I hope the return of JS doesn't force TC into the background, Todd was really starting to show his talent.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Thurling wasn't all that dynamic on teh weekend, but no forwards really stood out.

Good team. Look for a blinder for Jason Smith, the time on the sidelines will have done him the world of good and hopefully he can steer us to the finals.

I don't think Carney will be pushed back jsut yet. He has been amed at halfback instead of Withers. Last year it would have been the other way round.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Tilse was average IMO he can offload but hes not exactly rampaging is he! he sort of lumbers around thurling and williams smash him IMO

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Can't believe Thurling isn't in the 17. Always runs hard and hits hard in defence. I suppose it is an indication of our depth in the forwards. Happy with the side though (with the possible exception of the 2 & 5) and glad to see Tilse retained as he will only grow in confidence and will be good for us. Let's hope Graham sees more of the ball this weekend and hopefully we can avenge that second half disgrace at Aussie Stadium ealier in the year. Put the final nail in the Rorters (and their dickhead supporters)

raidz3r

Juniors
I can't beleive Purtell keeps his spot..the guy has not shown anything at all in his FG games. He continually gets driven back on every run. Whenever he takes a scoot i just know it is going to be -5m gain...Everyone talks about how crap howell is, but purtell is definately the worst winger in the entire comp imo.

Chris Walker out of all people had it all over him last week FFS.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good starting side but the bench is a bit of a werid one. What on earth are we going to do with 2 backs.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I don't think that Tilse should have been retained ahead of Williams or Thurling. I think we are going to lack impact this weekend.

edabomb

First Grade
Elliott always picks on involvement, not quality of involvement. That is why Purtell will always get the nod over Frawley. Although based on last weekend I can't argue, Frawley was hopeless.

Thurling didn't do too much on the weekend, I'd definately have him on the bench over Rothery though, with Frawley dropping off.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Chalk has been playing in the forwards for several weeks. Would prefer him in the 2 or 5 jumper in place of one ofthe nuffies Howell or Purtell however this is obviously not part of the master coaches plans.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I see Finch is playing hooker this weekend, I bet he is glad Woolford is out, imagine what he would cop in the scrums. Wing is at centre and Cross has been moved to wing. Wing could be found out however Cross and Roberts against Purtell and Howell gives a decided advantage out wide to the Roosters. Hopefully we will destroy them down the middle of the park.