What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra vs Dogs (spoilers)

Chachi

Bench
aussies1st said:
I would love to see Zillman in but against the Storm probably not the time to bring him in. Most likely Tounge into hooker and Rothery at 12 and Toots back to lock. Tisle back in the side (you got no choice now Elliott :)).
Probably not such a good idea to bring Zilly in considering he has a broken arm! :p

PRKLCD

Juniors
When smith does get back - you have to put Carney at number 7 and Withers to 9. If Simion is ok ( i don't think he will be) then Withers to the bench. Carney is doing a good job, sure he isn't cutting the game apart - but his passing and kicking is a mile ahead of Withers.

RB30DETT

Juniors
A good win by the raiders playing with effectively a 2 man bench for the entire game.

We got close but no way in the world did we deserve to win the game, far too many silly mistakes especially on the first tackle.

I thought Utai was our best player.

That try by Howell was simply amazing!!

Bay56

First Grade
azza said:
Zillman won't be playing, he has a broken hand. If Smith is back him to 6 Carney to 7, else I'd have tongue at 9 and withers at 7.

So you'd consider Withers at 7 ahead of Carney .... ???

My AFL team got hammered today ..... hopefully after the early hours tomorrow morning I'll have backed 2 from 3.

Edwahu

Bench
I would really like to see Tongue stay at number 9. He is playing great footy and he distributes well. Then we can have another big forward in the pack too. Problem is Withers is playing good footy too and Smith will have to come back.

aussies1st

Staff member
Chachi said:
Probably not such a good idea to bring Zilly in considering he has a broken arm! :p

Lol forgot about that :(
Hopefully Smith is fit or else simple moving of Tounge to hooker.

PRKLCD

Juniors
Edwahu said:
I would really like to see Tongue stay at number 9. He is playing great footy and he distributes well. Then we can have another big forward in the pack too.

yep sounds good. Withers to the bench!!! :D

PS. I am not a "carney" fan. But look at this forums man of the match stats. Withers has played every game and hasn't even got one point. People bag out Howell and the like but even he has been voted points!!!!!! It's not a good sign when your playmaker number 7 doesn't get any votes - not to many halfbacks in the game could claim that!

aussies1st

Staff member
Withers is not our halfback solution. Should really be filling the hooking role as thats what he will be doing next year.

Bay56

First Grade
Edwahu said:
I would really like to see Tongue stay at number 9. He is playing great footy and he distributes well. Then we can have another big forward in the pack too. Problem is Withers is playing good footy too and Smith will have to come back.

Agree re Tonguey Ed but if you take Carney out of the picture you lose one of the most important aspects that has changed in our game in the past three outings ... that is his kicking which has given us good field position at some important stages.

azza

Juniors
Bay56 said:
So you'd consider Withers at 7 ahead of Carney .... ???

I meant that IF smith is out, then I'd play Withers at 7, and Carney at 6. We really don't have any other choice, with Zillman out.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont like tongue at hooker for extended periods
today reinforced that, he was good running from hooker but his distribution was pretty slow IMO and at times too flat, several missed forward passes IMO

leave him at lock, he is awesome there

woodgers

Bench
I wouldn't agree with that. Frawley was strong early and defused a few dangerous situations plus he helped ruck it out of the back all game. Purtell also did a top notch job of taking the work off the forwards and playing from the back, much more than Graham and Howell. Howell is the king of the wasted tackle trying to ruck it out. More often than not he doesn't even beat the marker and make 2 metres. Add to that he was directly at fault for 3 of the 4 tries and it would be unfair to drop Frawley before him. The incredible try was all he did, the rest of the 80 minutes he fell off tackle after tackle and made 2 metre hit ups. I can't believe he is polling points again!

CQ RAIDER

Juniors
What a gutsy win by the boys.Weyman was awesome and i think Tongue would be well suited to 9 Carney at 7 with Withers to the bench provided Smith is back.I also agree with Elliot that even though we are lower placed on the ladder we are in a stronger position this year(touch wood)come the tail end of the season.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Overall a great effort, impossible to bag any player (first time in many games) however alluding to previous post, I wouldn't mind knowing how many tries have been conceded on our right side this year and the common denominator is D Howell, having said that with Mogg back next week Howell should find himself back on the wing where he is better suited. Special mention to Marshall Chalk, considering he has been playing in the forwards off the bench, I thought he went well today. IMO Withers must go to No. 9, leave Tongue at lock where he has been one of our best all year.

legend

Coach
I thought Maitua and Utai were by far the best for the Dogs and SBW was awful, pretty much as he has been all year with his wayward passes.

Rothery may be out for a while as he was put on report for a dangerous throw so he may have a case to answer.

My team next week would be:

Schif
Frawley
Graham
Howell
Mogg
Smith
Carney
Tongue
Croker (but only just)
Tom LL
Thompson
Withers
Hodgson

Weyman
Chalk
Thurling
Williams

woodgers

Bench
Agree with that Sydney Raider.

What the hell Wayne Pearce was talking crap about was annoying. Howell has never been a left side defender yet he said that was the reason he was struggling on the right....! Howell has defended on the right for almost 2 years now! Another example of a commentator who knows nothing about the club yet makes stupid statements that the average fan would believe to be true.

legend

Coach
I thought Chalk was the other player in the tackle but if it's Howell, throw the book at him I say! ;-)

hotdogs

Juniors
gotta say evry1 deserved the win today. great team effort by all the boys.
big wraps too 4 choc, weyman and williams, and have to admit rothery he did a fine job in place of tll, proved our criticisms wrong. very well done to williams thought he wood definately be our downfall especially seen it was like de ja vu all over again when i saw hodgo then germ, then 2 quick tries memories of our away game against dogs last year when we lost adamson and millar in the begining - thought it was going to be another cricket score!!! good to c the team slowly coming together. must say i wonder how we'll go in the forward pack, soon there'll be a be traffic jam for the front row especially once thommos back, lomu's fit, and tilse gets back to his best - not sure what that is though only heard never seen, like i say i don't rate him much he needs to learn more about punching the line with strength, power and speed eg williams, horse, thurling, tll (the big boys - he needs bigger legs for a start!)