What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra

chub

Juniors
Hey all, I just got offered a job in Canberra and just trying to find out as much as possible about Canberra before I accept the job?

I went down there a couple of weeks ago for an interview and it didn't seem to bad, I don't mind the cold too much.

Be great if any Canberrians could pass on as much info as possible pls...

I'm looking at possible places to stay atm and rent charges etc, so suburbs to avoid etc would be handy. I'm not sure of the location of my job yet, but i've been told everything isn't too far away anyway.

Just a quick question, how far is Quenbeyan away from Canberra?

Thank you very much

legend

Coach
Stay in Fyshwick mate. You'll love it. My personal fave is Kingston.

Quenbeyan is about 30 minutes from Canberra.

Raider_69

Post Whore
can i suggest you stay a Bruce Stadium, get yourself a tent and park out under Lozza's bronze nose, nice cover from the natural elements, good area, dirty cheap, close to the footy... however 7 times a year you'll have an influx of Brumbie wankers :)

thickos

First Grade
I really like Canberra as a city, I love the country town feel and its a lot more laid back than Sydney. I'd like to get out of Sydney eventually.

My uncle used to live in Mackellar which is a nice suburb, full of lots of little cul-de-sac's and winding roads. He now lives in Red Hill which is classy as, full of embassies though. I imagine he paid a fair bit for it.

I'm not partial to either 'side' of Canberra, although around Manuka would be where I would choose to live if I had to. No idea on rents though.

You'll need a car though, the buses are sh*t.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yeah, you have to have a car. If you are coming from Sydney, you'll find Canberra to be a big shock. Canberra is nothing like Sydney, which has its benefits and disadvantages.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
30 minutes from the city perhaps, but is about 5-10 minutes max from Tuggeranong.

it's not even 30 mins Azz ... no where in Canberra is more than 30 mins away from another

Raider Azz

Bench
Bay56 said:
it's not even 30 mins Azz ... no where in Canberra is more than 30 mins away from another
I'd say it's 30 minutes from Gunghalin maybe.

Anyway, the point here is that it's not far away at all :lol:

chub

Juniors
haha thanks alot for your help. I actually come from a town of around 60 000 in Central Queensland, so I think the Canberra lifestyle won't be too much of a shock, but the weather might be! I will be taking my car with me, so travelling is not much of a problem. So there isn't any suburbs in Canberra I should try to avoid?

On a more important note, how much are Raiders season tickets :)?

chub

Juniors
just on that, I take it Quenbeyan is like a separate town a little from Canberra? Just that I have seen many rentals / places to buy in Quenbeyan compared to Canberra suburbs??

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Queanbeyan is in a different state :D But it may as well be Canberra as it is not very far away. I think you'll find that the further from the city centre you get, the cheaper it will be - but not sure as I don't live there.

You are probably best to look yourself as the areas are quite different - depends on what you like really :)

Bay56

First Grade
chub said:
just on that, I take it Quenbeyan is like a separate town a little from Canberra? Just that I have seen many rentals / places to buy in Quenbeyan compared to Canberra suburbs??

Struggle town (Queanbeyan) is basically a large suburb of Canberra ... it is right on the border of the ACT ... just make sure you dont get a job there as on Canberra Day we get a holiday but they dont :lol:

chub

Juniors
lmao off bay56,

The job is in Canberra! so that's all good

Thanks everyone, been a great help! Just trying to work out if its worth my while financially first, and then will definately go down there and have a look around before decided renting a joint

Raider_Azz said:
I'd say it's 30 minutes from Gunghalin maybe.

Anyway, the point here is that it's not far away at all :lol:

I drive from pretty much the northern tip of Gungahlin to Tuggers every day, 30-35mins is the average.

Also heaps of people at work(so they drive from there to tuggers) live in Hickville...i mean Queanbeyan.

woodgers

Bench
chub said:
haha thanks alot for your help. I actually come from a town of around 60 000 in Central Queensland, so I think the Canberra lifestyle won't be too much of a shock, but the weather might be! I will be taking my car with me, so travelling is not much of a problem. So there isn't any suburbs in Canberra I should try to avoid?

On a more important note, how much are Raiders season tickets :)?

Mate, I will sort you out with a season ticket next year. 75 nicker a year for 12 games (20 metre line) which equates to about 6 dollars something a game with the benefits of a) $8 seats when you go to watch a game with us in Sydney (2.5 hours up the road), b) first pick of finals, State of Origin and Grand Final tickets, possibly a members shirt/scarf/hat depending on who sends out the season tickets and if they realise that we don't get it for that price (I did), Discounted Raiders merchandise.....I can't think of the other things right now.

chub

Juniors
Mate, I will sort you out with a season ticket next year. 75 nicker a year for 12 games (20 metre line) which equates to about 6 dollars something a game with the benefits of a) $8 seats when you go to watch a game with us in Sydney (2.5 hours up the road), b) first pick of finals, State of Origin and Grand Final tickets, possibly a members shirt/scarf/hat depending on who sends out the season tickets and if they realise that we don't get it for that price (I did), Discounted Raiders merchandise.....I can't think of the other things right now.

is it seriously that cheap?? I thought it would be a couple of hungy!

Definately made the job sound even more tempting!

greeneyed

First Grade
Whatever you do, don't go live in Queanbeyan, as everyone will think you are strange. You have to try and live 5 minutes drive from work and live on the South side. The north is also a little bit strange. Braddon and Civic and Campbell are OK even though they are north of the lake.