What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra

Loz

Juniors
Do you have any idea of where this job placement is? I'd make the call of where to live based on that.

You don't want to settle in Calwell and have to commute to Belconnen to work...

chub

Juniors
Loz said:
Do you have any idea of where this job placement is? I'd make the call of where to live based on that.

Not sure of the exact address, the interview was via ISL and I haven't rec'd the papers yet, just got told via telephone i was accepted. Looking on the website it just has Garema Ct, City Walk or Mort St. Its with the Department of Employment and Workplace relations.

It really doesn't bother me if I have to drive a bit to work if the accomodation is cheaper, within reason anyway. Just want to get a general guide, as i've heard that the accommodation is quite expensive in Canberra, and I really don't know anything about the area!

Boing Boing

Juniors
yeah, DEWR is currently taking over my building aswell. You're best off in somewhere like tuggeranong, as rent is hellishly expensive closer to the city.

Loz

Juniors
I'd aim for somewhere in Woden, Belco or Gungahlin. Tuggers is a bit of a hike and as Ben said, inner city renting is not cheap.

skeepe

Immortal
Cheapest rental suburbs at the moment depend on what you're looking for.

If you want a house, you'll probably get one for around $250 in Banks, Gordon, Calwell, Isabella Plains or Conder... if you want a flat you can probably get one for under $200 around Mawson, Torrens that sort of area. Civic is a 10 minute drive from Mawson and Torrens, and 25-30 minutes from the other suburbs mentioned.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Id get a flat close in, if you live in those suburbs out in the sticks it will cost you the better part of $60 to get home from a night out, its actually cheaper to stay at the backpackers and get the bus home the next day.

Bay56

First Grade
Loz said:

Loz it aint than far ....

you can live anywhere in Canberra and get to work within 1/2 at most .... compare that with some of those poor souls in the big smoke

chub

Juniors
Thanks alot for this help fella's, very much appreciated!

I'd only be looking for a smallish flat or apartment to start off, and go from there.

Does anyone know what property prices are doing in Canberra?

Finally, where abouts is Canberra stadium as well? Its a bit away from the City isnt it?

Cheers fella's, will have to catch up with you all for a beer if I come down!

Copa

Bench
chub said:
haha thanks alot for your help. I actually come from a town of around 60 000 in Central Queensland, so I think the Canberra lifestyle won't be too much of a shock, but the weather might be! I will be taking my car with me, so travelling is not much of a problem. So there isn't any suburbs in Canberra I should try to avoid?

On a more important note, how much are Raiders season tickets :)?
Culturally, Canberra is SOOOOOOOOOOO different to a Qld country town. It is a chronic middle class city and can be quite cliquey.

It is also not too far from the ski fields and not that far from Sydney.

It is very, very easy to live here... clean air, no traffic.

Town planning can take a bit to get used to....

Copa

Bench
chub said:
Thanks alot for this help fella's, very much appreciated!

I'd only be looking for a smallish flat or apartment to start off, and go from there.

Does anyone know what property prices are doing in Canberra?

Finally, where abouts is Canberra stadium as well? Its a bit away from the City isnt it?

Cheers fella's, will have to catch up with you all for a beer if I come down!
Check out www.allhomes.com.au for realestate info in Canberra. You can see how much houses are going for in each suburb and you can even find out how much nearly every house in Canberra has sold for over the last few decades.

Canberra stadium is easy to get to and you park right near it or you can catch a bus.. Very, very easy.

chub

Juniors
I have looked around allhomes quite a lot, thanks for the link. I was looking more for information about the different suburbs / areas, for example recommended suburbs and ones to avoid.

Thanks Copa, I gathered it would be quite different culturally, hopefully not as many cowboys down there compared to here! I was referring the similarity to my current place to the likes of the laid back sort of city with clean air and limited traffic etc, and not heavily congested like other capitals such as Brisbane, Sydney etc, like you have said.

greeneyed

First Grade

Evergreen

Juniors
Suburbs to avoid on the northside:

Charnwood
Dunlop
Watson
Emu Ridge

Suburbs to avoid on the southside:

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thickos

First Grade
McLinden used to live in Charnwood, it was in RLW when he had his annual street sprint race with his Grandma :lol:

Evergreen

Juniors
thickos said:
McLinden used to live in Charnwood

I know, poor bugger. Charnie really is a blight on the otherwise wondrous world of the northside - you'd be well advised to join us here in civilization chub.

Latest posts