What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra's PL season over

Kris_man

Bench
OK, i was at this game and watched every minute, so i thought i'd give a result rap. I also think it deserves a new thread instead of just posting in the "Raiders PL side announced" one.

For the most part, it wasn't a very entertaining match, with both sides struggling to penetrate the opposition's defence or do anything really special. The Raiders got the first try when Campese put in a freakishly accurate cross-field chip kick (considering he was falling over and someone had hold of him as he made it) to a waiting Kris Kahler, who had little troubles out leaping the weenie Saints player to catch the footy and go over.
The Dragons looked good with Firman and Gorrell organising them well and possessing a superior kicking game all night, and their strong field position allowed them good opportunity to score. From about 5m out, Henry Perenara god a nice offload away to a bursting Ryan Powell, who crossed the line with little resistance from the canberra defence.
There was one instance in the first half where the Raiders IMO bombed a try. Graham put Franciscus into space about 40m out from the tryline, right near the sideline. Steve showed good pace to take advantage of the space, and he got to the Saints fullback. He had two options - pass to Phil on his outside (which to be fair, was in the opposite direction he was running, so it would have been a hard pass to make), or try to beat the fullback himself. He tried to do the latter but was tackled, and in doing so dropped the ball. All he had to do was pass to Phil and it was T-R-Y. Anyway, 6-all at half time and a pretty boring half comes to a close.

The first try of the 2nd half came from the saints, with no. 20 Wade Humphreys, who looked threatening with the ball al night, making a great bust from about 50m out and drawing the Raiders fullback to put Saints no.16 Corey Payne over under the sticks. It wasn't long, however, before the Raiders hit back through David Milne, who scored right on the Western sideline, to set up a hard kick for Carney. I think it was a long Carney pass which set up the try. whatever it was, milne didn't have to do much. this made the scoreline 12-10, and the game finally started to get interesting, as both teams upped the ante. Both teams started to look threatening with the ball, and there was one instance where Phil Graham made a characteristic line break from about 50 out, but go to the fullback and ended up knocking the ball on in the tackle, i think he may have been attempting an offload to Franciscus on his outside. There was another similar instance where after throwing the ball around a bit, we created space down the left hand side, but ended up knocking on, again. i didn't see what happened, but my friend told me that all franciscus had to do was hold the ball and he would have gone over for the try.
so the Raiders had their chances, but some excellent kicking from Gorrell and Firman ensured that for the most part, the Raiders had to work hard for their territory, and with 5 minutes remaining, Wes Naiqama sealed the win with a close range try, bouncing off a dismal attempted tackle from Kris Kahler, who otherwise had a top game, making plenty of metres with the ball in hand and always looking threatening. But at 18-10 with about 4 minutes to go, the Raiders didnt give up - Campese did a short and hard grubber kick from the kick off aimed at the sideline, which caused an error from the dragons. soon after, Beau mundine scored a great individual try - beating about 3 or 4 defenders to score after getting the ball about 20m out. it was too little too late though, as the raiders had time for only one tackle after they received the ball, with Kris Kahler attempting a chip and chase, which was charged down and almost resulted in a dragons try. final score: Dragons 18-Raiders 14

Notes:
- Marshall Chalk made a brilliant try-saving tackle in the first half on some big Saints guy.
- Russo did not play at all, and he was replaced by Beau Mundine.
- Ben Cross was fantastic, and was easily the best forward on the park. He was penalised in the first half for a tackle which did not look good, so hopefully he won't get suspended for it. Other than that though, he played with a heap of aggression, pulled off some big hits and always made metres with the ball. He proved to me that he is above the level of PL, and should be playing firsts next year.
- Nathan Smith was quiet, i barely noticed him, but Graham and Franciscus were causing some problems for the Dragons right hand defence all night. too bad some good cover defence and some unlucky errors cost them from capitalising.
- i was disappointed with Campo's kicking game. for the most part, it was no better than what we've seen in firsts all year from Mclinden and Drew. Carney must have been feeling his injury, because he barely kicked or ran the ball all night, and because of this was very quiet. He does pass the ball very well though, and i can't wait to see him in firsts.
- Kahler's awful missed tackle to set up the last Dragons try showed to me why he's not in firsts. He was tackling a centre, but just bounced off him like a weakling.

greeneyed's "minutes" report from the CT indicated that Josh Miller, not Kris Kahler, missed the easy tackle on Naiqama for the last try.

Raider_69

Post Whore
- Ben Cross was fantastic, and was easily the best forward on the park. He was penalised in the first half for a tackle which did not look good, so hopefully he won't get suspended for it. Other than that though, he played with a heap of aggression, pulled off some big hits and always made metres with the ball. He proved to me that he is above the level of PL, and should be playing firsts next year.

TESTIFY BROTHER!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Cant wait for Cross to be a regular next year in our firsts team. Everytime I think of the big fella I get memories of that great roosters game from last year.

Ultima

Juniors
Sad to see us go out but at least we have good news for next year :) Furner (David!) is going to be the Coach! WOOHOO!

greeneyed

First Grade
Tonight's WIN TV news reported on the PL side's demise, but showed no footage of the match.

They did show footage of the trials on Saturday morning, with 150 players turning up. Only a handful are likely to make it, however, despite the quality being significantly improved on last year's trial. Senior club figures are in North Queensland now, on the look out for new playing talent.

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT reports that some may view Wayne Collin's elevation from the PL coach to NRL assistant coach as the end of an era. But Collins looks on it as a beginning - the beginning of something big.

Collin's role of lower grade coach ended with the Raiders' PL side's defeat on the weekend. Next season he will work alongside Terry Matterson as assistant NRL coach. After four years with the PL side, Collins is looking forward to the new challenges facing him.

"Being assistant coach is something I always wanted to do, so I'm really looking forward to that now" Collins said. "It's more or less the start, not the end. I get to go and do something which is a bit different and there are challenges in front of me which I hope to counter." The main challenge is improving Canberra's consistency in 2005. And Collins believes the club's recruitment strategy will prove worthy, despite a lot of "negative criticism".

"Everyone seems to be focussed on the fact we're buying two guys over 30 but the coaching staff certainly aren't worried" Collins said. "Sure you lose a heck of a lot of experience with guys like Wiki and Davico but it also provides a lot of opportunities for the younger guys. We're breeding some very good younger players in the club and I'm confident we'll go well next year."

Collins thinks that with a lot of PL players being blooded in first grade this year, along with the signings of Ale and Frawley, next year's NRL squad will have the perfect balance of youth and experience.

Collins said Carney and Cross are most likely to graduate to first grade. "Toddy will step up. He's still got a bit to do but he will. Ben Cross is another who will make that next step. For most of the rest of the side, they really strive to want to follow me into first grade. It's an opportunity to step up levels which I hope they all grasp and make the most of."

David Furner will replace Collins as PL coach next season.

brenno

Juniors
i've heard good things about wayne collins, such as that he could be a 1st grade coach in the near future. I'm not expecting alot from the Pl side next year with a guy with no coaching experience behind him taking charge. I would love to see dave don the mighty green jumper just once next season even though he has retired. The raiders would truly then be the dads army of the NRL.

Edwahu

Bench
Not that I really give a stuff but I reckon we will kill it at premier league next year. There are about 50 players at the club with first grade experience and then you have the guys like Mclean, Purtell and Zillman who handled premier league at 17 and 18 who will be much better players next year.