What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury should be kicked out!

A

ali

Of the 7's.
I just read a report where Steve Folkes has been quoted saying the Bulldogs will not be fielding any of their stars in the World 7's. My opinion is they should be kicked out of the 7's if they aren't going to take it seriously. Every other team is making a genuine attempt to win the tournament and thus risking most of their high profile players. The Dogs not coming to the party is simply bad sportsmanship.
The Dogs must go and an extra spot should be given to the qualifiers or just promote the USA. USA CEO David Nui is apparently very upset his team has been over looked for direct entry into the main draw. It's obvious the Bulldogs couldn't care less about the 7's so kick them out and give the spot to a team who wants to be there.
I also hope Folkes doesn't stop El Masri from skippering his nation in 2 weeks time.
All the other clubs are getting into the spirit of the event, most in the realisation that our game needs to develop internationally if we are to thrive this century. It may have been ok to field weakened teams back in the 90's when everyone was doing it, but now it is not on. The Dogs must be kicked out!

D

dubopov

I agree with the Bulldogs decision to not risk star players...BUT..I also agree with El Duque..They should have been kicked out for at least 5 years and replaced by Newtown,Norths or a likeable Brisbane team !!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Stuff 'em.
The NRL has given them a massive chance to winthis years comp by allowing them to keep their team. By rights, they should have had their cap cut in half for 2003.

Instead of saying thanks to the RL community for giving them some leeway, they instead decide to shove it all back in our faces.They'readisgrace and are now undisputed asRugby League's most selfish club.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
I'm not sticking up for them here, but didn't they pay their dues by loosing the top position and paying a hefty fine latelast season just before the semis? And hence a good chance of taking out the premiership? They were the team to beat IMHO closing in on the seasons end last year, and I would've certainlyput my money on them to win the title.
Just a thought.
<u>PS</u>: In saying that, it is poor sportsmanship on their behalf to field a half-arsed team for the 7's. The 7's comp is for the spectators; and the Bulldog supporters, moreso than Raugby League supporters, are the ones being short changed. I wonder how their supporters on this forum feel about their actions?
hmmm...

Gav-bt

Juniors
"BTW Ali, I'm having trouble finding the report where Folkes has said that."

In all probablity it is true - it reached this side of the globe hours ago.

"It's just too big a risk for everybody," Folkes

Well of course it is, but that hasn't stopped Wigan from releasing Adrian Lam for PNG.

This is yet another case of some Aussies not taking the game's development seriously. The Bulldogs should be docked competition points if they do enter an obviously weakened side.

I also hope Folkes doesn't stop El Masri from skippering his nation in 2 weeks time.

Why would they give the captaincy of Australia? Of all the people to pick he wouldn't be to high onMY list.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'd like to know if its fair dinkum or not. But if its appearing in other outlets as well I guess we can assume its legit.

Gav: "This is yet another case of some Aussies not taking the game's development seriously."
Its the Bulldogs only. Every other NRLteam is fielding theirstar players.

Outlaw: "but didn't they pay their dues by loosing the top position and paying a hefty fine..."
Imo, the jury is still out on whether or not this was enough. They rorted the cap for years but were only penalised for one season. I would have thought a more fitting punishment would have been to have their cap cut for the same amount of years that they went over it. Officially, this is two seasons but it was probably going on since SL.

So they could have been treated more harshly.... but they weren't. They lost only one season (and some are still kicking up a stink about this) and were allowed to retain all their players. In return they have given back nothing for this leniency.

They should be informed of their responsibilities to promote the game and if they don't comply, let them watch the 7s on the TV like most everyone else. There are other teams busting a gut to get involved.

I think its bloody stupid of Steve, and asa dogs supporter, i am pretty dirty at the decision. Players could get injured in pre-season training, for Gods sake, players could get injured brushing their teeth in the morning

And it isnt like there is copious amounts of body contact in the 7s anyways

Its a poor call

Moffo

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Are the 7's an NRL sanctioned event? If so aren't there rules about fielding your strongest team? I know the warriors had to show medical proof that its players were injured last year when they fielded a second string team.

The first I heard was yesterday afternoonwhenit was bought to my attention about Matt O's article at rleague.
My opinion is the same as what Folkes statedin the highlighted bold section below.

Bulldogs won't be fielding strongest side for Sevens
Wed Jan 15, 1:13pm (NSW)
Written by: Matthew O'Neill
Source: Canterbury Bulldogs Supporters Site
Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has said he won't be fielding his strongest side in the upcoming World Sevens event to be played at Sydney's Aussie Stadium on February 1-2.
Folkes said there "wasn't much point" to the World Sevens competition and went on to say, "It's just too big a risk for everybody. I'm certainly not going to risk anybody at this stage of the year. I don't see the point in it.
"We've only been back at training for three weeks. The year's long enough as it is. We don't need to extend it. I've spoken to a number of coaches and I know they're of the same opinion."
Matthew Utai, Travis Norton, Adam Perry and Dennis Scott were never going to be considered due to injury while the likes of Nigel Vagana, Hazem El Masri, Willie Talau, Braith Anasta, Brent Sherwin, Willie Mason and Steven Price are unlikely to be risked as well.
Folkes is likely to cop alot of criticism but he knows that the World Sevens will be gone and forgotten in a few weeks while the premiership is the only competition <u>that seriously matters</u>.

In the 1995 World Sevens, the Bulldogs lost talented centre Steven Hughes to a season ending knee injury and the career of Hughes has never been the same since with injuries haunting his career since.
Folkes will more than likely give the younger and fringe players the chance to impress with a good crowd expected along with strong media coverage and television coverage.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Folkes said there "wasn't much point" to the World Sevens...
...he knows that the World Sevens will be gone and forgotten in a few weeks while the premiership is the only competition <u>that seriously matters</u>."

If thats the logic, thenCanterbury won't mind withdrawing from the Sevens, will they?

If thats the logic, thenCanterbury won't mind withdrawing from the Sevens, will they?
Probably not Willow. I dunno...
The Sevens haven't really event meant "jack" to me so you won't see me loosing sleep if they withdrew. Like someone said earlier, they're nothing but a spectacle to get folks warmed up for the footy season to come. Not to mention a sponsors dream.
Whoopeedo...