What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain

Cloud9

Who thinks Cameron Smth is worthy of being captain?
I have my doubts. During 2006 finals when things were at a knife's edge we buckled. The Broncos defence withstood our barrage whilst ours was slowly chipped away. If we had a leader who had a calm head maintained the teams discipline we might have been premiers. Its all water under the bridge now. I vote Crocker for Captain, this guy does not buckle mentally.

Lucas

Juniors
We need a captain who is actually going to play most of the time, hence why I would choose Smith over Crocker any day of the week. I can't blame Smith one iota for what happened on that terrible day in September.

Bman26

Juniors
didnt smith have a busted leg? spent time off the field and couldnt kick goals, hard to fault him for that

Cloud9 said:
Who thinks Cameron Smth is worthy of being captain?
I have my doubts. During 2006 finals when things were at a knife's edge we buckled. The Broncos defence withstood our barrage whilst ours was slowly chipped away. If we had a leader who had a calm head maintained the teams discipline we might have been premiers. Its all water under the bridge now. I vote Crocker for Captain, this guy does not buckle mentally.

Depends on what Bellamy is looking for in a captain...does he want a level headed quiet type of captain who is consistent in form which is definitely Smith or does he want an aggressive lead from the front type captain which would definitely be Crocker ??.

Personally - I would go with Smith as my captain. Crocker would be good but the team cannot afford to have hime sitting him on the sideline in this capacity.;-)

sheet_ed

Juniors
I think Smith OR Croker will make an EXCELLENT captains. Smith is a natural leader who learnt more by losing a Grand Final and being dropped from the Kangaroos then all the wins we had last season.

Croker has been so impressive since he joined the storm - sure he has got sent off, but for bad tackling techniques - not brain explosions. I really admire the guy and if Bellyache picked him as captain I woud be very happy as well. These 2 form the leadership of the Storm.

You also need someone in the backs - even though Matty Geyer has experience and a level head a winger can't be a captain. I think the Cronkster should be in charge of the backs - he gone to a new level last year and has the right stuff.

Ice777

Bench
Cameron Smith will be the next sole capatain of the Storm and i think he's the right man for the job personally. Don't get me wrong, Mick Crocker would also do a great job, but Smith's the man to lead us into what will hopefully be a very successful era for the Storm.

Hallatia

Referee
I do think he is the man for the job, but I noticed last year that anytime any of the guys got a shot at captain he really shone, in saying that it was Crocker I am particularly referring to, that hadgot to be one of the best games he had played in years, but in my opinion Smith should be captain and for a long time

Cloud9

kia ora storm said:
Depends on what Bellamy is looking for in a captain...does he want a level headed quiet type of captain who is consistent in form which is definitely Smith or does he want an aggressive lead from the front type captain which would definitely be Crocker ??.

Personally - I would go with Smith as my captain. Crocker would be good but the team cannot afford to have hime sitting him on the sideline in this capacity.;-)

Regardless whether the captain is quiet or agressive, we need a captain who can steer the ship when it gets off course. SOmeone with some logic and straight talking. The coach can't do this from his box. Crocks or Cronk for mine.

lotti

Bench
yeah it got us into the Grand Final and got us the Minor Premiership but not the major one.

Lowdown

Juniors
The NEW five man leadership group is:

Matt Geyer
Cam Smith
Michael Crocker
Cooper Cronk (new)
Dallas Johnson (new)

Personally, I think the rotating system worked very well so probably not best to change.

Although, the clear favourite for captain is Cam Smith, with Crocker being an able vice-captain. Cooper Cronk basically captains the backline, and everyone else (!). He is the Storm's little general.

lotti

Bench
well according to Cam Smith(went up there today for my membership and to watch the boys train) they'll probably be doing the rotating system again.

LESStar58

Referee
sheet_ed said:
I think Smith OR Croker will make an EXCELLENT captains. Smith is a natural leader who learnt more by losing a Grand Final and being dropped from the Kangaroos then all the wins we had last season.

When did Cam get dropped from the Australian side? He played all games including one off the bench in the utility role.

Anyway.....Smith as captain full time with Crocker his vice captain. The problem is what to do when they are both on Origin duty cos Cam is first picked after Darren Lockyer and Crocker is a moral for a 2nd row jersey.

lotti

Bench
I quote from Cam yesterday
coach has not talked to me about it, we're probably going to be using the rotation system again
I talked to him yesterday after the Skills and conditions training I also had a brief chat to a couple of other players including Turner and Jeremy Smith.

Cranky

Juniors
You know what's really cool about being a storm fan???
Whoever Bellamy picks as captain, we'll back 100% 'cause we really do have complete and utter faith in the coach. And speaking for myself, I have had that faith since he first stepped into the roll. He is the best!

Rage

Juniors
I like the rotation.

let's face it our team is full of young blokes, I believe it's got one of the lower average ages in the comp. the rotation allows some of the younger blokes a chance to captain the side and get a feel for the job but by sharing it around gives the team the benefits of having plenty of players that know how lead the side in the case of others being suspended/injured/sin binned/etc without the pressures involved with of having the job fulltime.

Cam Smith is a fantastic leader but he’s only 23, so is Cooper Cronk. I’d rather these guys got another season of practice before thinking of taking the role over. Dallas Johnston is a little older but this is his first go at captaining in that squad so I’d rather he tried it this way then being thrown into the deep end. Matt Geyer is ancient (for a football player) but he’s a winger and I’m not overly fond of having a captain so far from the action. Which leaves Crocker. I’m very glad we have this guy in our team, we haven’t lost a game he’s played in, but until he can prove that can go most of the season without being suspended there is no way will they consider to have him as the sole captain, there just wouldn’t be a point to it.

So while we can still enjoy the advantages that rotation allows us, I’m very happy to stick with it.

Lowdown said:
The NEW five man leadership group is:

Matt Geyer
Cam Smith
Michael Crocker
Cooper Cronk (new)
Dallas Johnson (new)

Personally, I think the rotating system worked very well so probably not best to change.

Although, the clear favourite for captain is Cam Smith, with Crocker being an able vice-captain. Cooper Cronk basically captains the backline, and everyone else (!). He is the Storm's little general.

Not sure about Johnson's leadership skills ??...agree with Crocker and Smith.

Latest posts