What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain

coupy73

Juniors
sheet_ed said:
You also need someone in the backs - even though Matty Geyer has experience and a level head a winger can't be a captain. I think the Cronkster should be in charge of the backs - he gone to a new level last year and has the right stuff.

I think it was the Eels finals game where Matt Geyer was going off at somebody (probably the ref) and Cooper gestured to him to calm down. Think cooper does most of the organising in attack and looks a born leader but probably too young/inexperienced for now.
Cam leads by example but do not think he could get the players pumped up. so would probably go for crocker. but if we play like the solid unit we had last year I think the captain is there in name only.

cronker

Juniors
I think Cronker should have another year, let him marshall his guys in the backline a bit longer.

Look at what happened with the England cricket team when they put Flintoff in as captain. he's a great player, and a natural leader and senior member of the team, but not ready to captain.

Put it on Crocker

Lowdown

Juniors
The problem facing Matt Geyer (and Bellamy) is that your Captain really needs to lead by example as well as being vocal. Matt Geyer is certainly not the latter. However its the former point which is the biggest issue. Geyer is getting on. He gives up speed and size to most other wingers in the comp. He's prone to rush up in defence, and invariably miss the tackle (and you have to make the tackles in these decisions..you have to) leaving the centre and fullback to scramble. Thats not captaincy.

Matt Geyer is a clubman, the funny man, the guy every player likes to have around. Is he the guy to get you over the line - to lift when the heads are down? I don't think so.

He's game in the Grand Final was a shocker. No doubt about it. I feel he's best without the pressure of being a leader or captain, and simply concentrate on his footy. It worked wonders for Menzies at Manly and I reckon it will help him focus on his role as a winger first and foremost - not as a leader.

Ice777

Bench
This is from todays Herald Sun, it doesn't really shed any light on which way the captaincy things is going to go but here it topical anyway.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21188996-14823,00.html

Smith ready to lead from front

Dave Donaghy
February 08, 2007 12:00am

T'S A mantle that brings added responsibility, greater pressure and no monetary incentive, yet Melbourne hooker Cameron Smith wants nothing more than to captain his beloved Storm on a permanent basis in 2007.

Smith, 23, is desperate to assume the captaincy role should Storm coach Craig Bellamy disband the five-man leadership group that proved a major success last season."I'd love to be the captain of the team, if there's one captain," Brisbane-born Smith said yesterday."The rotating captain (system) worked well for us last year, so it's going to be the coach's call whether he continues to do that or whether he wants one captain.

"Either way I'll be happy, but obviously if there's one captain to be chosen, I'd like to be it."Smith has been joined by Matt Geyer, 31, Michael Crocker, 26, Cooper Cronk, 23, and Dallas Johnson, 24, in the leadership group this season.Storm coach Craig Bellamy elevated crafty halfback Cronk and destructive lock Johnson into the group during the pre-season, following the departure of veterans Scott Hill (England) and David Kidwell (Souths).Geyer and Crocker, who missed a significant portionof last season because of suspension, were incumbents.

Bellamy said he would finalise his leadership plans during pre-season, but refused to rule out the option of selecting one captain. "We'll wait and see with that. They're quite a young group," Bellamy said."Obviously you've got Geyer and Crocker in there and the other three, Johnson, Smith, Cooper Cronk. They're only around 23, I think.""It's a really young group, but they've got a lot of experience and they're doing a good job."

Smith admitted his leadership skills could be bolstered by improved on-field communication, after adopting the same lead-by-example style set by former captains Stephen Kearney and Robbie Kearns."Talking is probably the one thing the coach wants me doing more of," Smith said.

"I had a few years under Steve Kearney and Robbie Kearns, and they were probably more action than words as captains, and I'm probably in the same mould as them."I try to lead by example, more with my actions than words."I have improved a lot, but you have to be ready for anything if you want to captain a team."

Smith claimed the pain of losing last year's decider to Brisbane would drive Storm this season."We fell short," Smith said."We didn't achieve our goal, so we're certainly hungry and we want to improve on last year."We were good last year, but we want to be great."

Storm leaders:
2007 group: Cameron Smith, Matt Geyer, Michael Crocker, Cooper Cronk, Dallas Johnson

2006 group: Smith, Geyer, Crocker, David Kidwell, Scott Hill

Lowdown said:
The problem facing Matt Geyer (and Bellamy) is that your Captain really needs to lead by example as well as being vocal. Matt Geyer is certainly not the latter. However its the former point which is the biggest issue. Geyer is getting on. He gives up speed and size to most other wingers in the comp. He's prone to rush up in defence, and invariably miss the tackle (and you have to make the tackles in these decisions..you have to) leaving the centre and fullback to scramble. Thats not captaincy.

Matt Geyer is a clubman, the funny man, the guy every player likes to have around. Is he the guy to get you over the line - to lift when the heads are down? I don't think so.

He's game in the Grand Final was a shocker. No doubt about it. I feel he's best without the pressure of being a leader or captain, and simply concentrate on his footy. It worked wonders for Menzies at Manly and I reckon it will help him focus on his role as a winger first and foremost - not as a leader.

I agree totally...whilst Geyer is experienced he is not a great leader and I have my doubts about his ability to lead a team in close games.:cool:

Latest posts