What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captaincy

Alex28

Coach
So, Pearce has either fallen on his sword or been pushed firmly into it, and has lost the captaincy.

Blake Green makes sense for this year - has the experience and the calm head. Also gives the next captain a chance to be blooded.

Personally, the next guy should be Brailey. Good head on his shoulders, his experience working with AOB during his injury last year learning how to understand the game through the coaches eyes will be invaluable. Most importantly - an 80 minute player.

What say you?

Loose Cannon

Bench
So, Pearce has either fallen on his sword or been pushed firmly into it, and has lost the captaincy.

Blake Green makes sense for this year - has the experience and the calm head. Also gives the next captain a chance to be blooded.

Personally, the next guy should be Brailey. Good head on his shoulders, his experience working with AOB during his injury last year learning how to understand the game through the coaches eyes will be invaluable. Most importantly - an 80 minute player.

What say you?
Testify!!!

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Green makes sense, will need someone else until he is fit to play, but choosing him means a new Captain can be groomed ready for 2022 without having to remove anyone due to his retirement. Senior group already selected so one of them could fill in early season or anytime Green is off.
Long term I am thinking Brailey with possibly throwing in Frizell although he is not so long term.

Jono078

Referee
Im not sure on Green as captain? He’s a journeyman that got booted by his previous club. Maybe that’s irrelevant but I always see captain as someone who is the heart and soul of the club - which I guess is hard to say right now who fits that best.

I think Saifiti or Brailey though, I think eventually they’ll be the captain(s) so may as well start now.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Im not sure on Green as captain? He’s a journeyman that got booted by his previous club. Maybe that’s irrelevant but I always see captain as someone who is the heart and soul of the club - which I guess is hard to say right now who fits that best.
If there was a dislike option, I would be all over this.

Each to their own, but Green was sourced with hours to spare before the deadline, improved our attack from minute 1, had a deal with Canterbury prior and not once did he reveal during press conferences/interviews. He negotiated a release to come back of which the Bulldogs were thoroughly impressed with his honesty and were able to sign Kyle Flanagan as a result, and O’Brien believes in his value.

In 6 months, he has shown he has “heart and soul” for this club. He has offered it to each club he has been. He is by far the best option.

Jono078

Referee
If there was a dislike option, I would be all over this.

Each to their own, but Green was sourced with hours to spare before the deadline, improved our attack from minute 1, had a deal with Canterbury prior and not once did he reveal during press conferences/interviews. He negotiated a release to come back of which the Bulldogs were thoroughly impressed with his honesty and were able to sign Kyle Flanagan as a result, and O’Brien believes in his value.

In 6 months, he has shown he has “heart and soul” for this club. He has offered it to each club he has been. He is by far the best option.
That's fair. I'm not against it, just throwing up the question. As I said, what I offered may be irrelevant when it comes to his makeup and how he's perceived within the organisation.

Loose Cannon

Bench
That's fair. I'm not against it, just throwing up the question. As I said, what I offered may be irrelevant when it comes to his makeup and how he's perceived within the organisation.
I know champ, I apologise if it came across as a personal attack. That was certainly not my intention.

I just think he is the man (not a child, like our previous) to do the job.

Burwood

Bench
Green was booted from the Warriors because of who his manager is, not because of anything on his behalf.

mozza91

Coach
Klemmer seems the natural choice to me. The decision should be made soon so we can move on from the Pearce stuff.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Klemmer seems the natural choice to me. The decision should be made soon so we can move on from the Pearce stuff.
I originally thought of Klemmer some time back as Captain material when there were rumblings about Pearce but I've completely changed my mind about him as a good choice for captain for a few reasons...don't get me wrong, I genuinely love everything about Klem and what he is to the Knights - I think he is and will continue to be a good on-field leader for this team but I don't believe he has the skill set for captaincy in the modern game.

Nowadays, apart from the on-field role,(which is only a small part of the gig for an NRL side) you need somebody who is relatively comfortable with a lot of media, public relations, sponsorship engagement activities, public speaking, etc.

You also need to have the capacity to work with all aspects of the playing group and coaching staff to help man manage experienced and junior players, be inspiring and respected by those groups, contribute to the development of game plans, etc. You also need to be relatively even tempered and cool headed under pressure.

My take on Klem is that he is a meat head that lives and breaths his footy, wears his heart on his sleeve - what he doesn't have is the capacity to control his emotions in the way a captain needs to at this level or the temprament or inclination to do the off field stuff that is now such a large and demanding part of being an NRL captain

I'm not sure about the other candidates at this stage but I'm happy with the concept of Green for a year and the coaching and management staff putting some time and effort into developing and grooming some of the younger player options (Brailey, Saifiti, etc.) to take over in 2022.

Last edited:

ryana87

Juniors
The leadership group has been named

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2021/01/23/knights-name-five-man-leadership-group/

"This group will include hard-hitting forward Mitch Barnett, live-wire fullback Kalyn Ponga, Origin front rower Daniel Saifiti, five-eighth Blake Green and hooker Jayden Brailey."

Green captain this year (Barney captain while he is off injured)

Brailey captain next year

Only selection I don't like is Ponga, just don't see him as a leader type figure, too laid back

Loose Cannon

Bench
Green captain this year (Barney captain while he is off injured)

Brailey captain next year

Only selection I don't like is Ponga, just don't see him as a leader type figure, too laid back
Agree strongly re Ponga. Has a lot of things (goal kicking included) he needs to concentrate on before taking on a leadership role.

Jono078

Referee
Leadership and Ponga is an interesting one.

it could be something that takes him to the next level. It could be something to keep our highest paid player happy.

I think he will form into a good leader though and this year he’ll learn what it’s about and what’s required.

ryana87

Juniors
The latest episode of "be the player" has a big promo about how much of a leader Barney is

I think him and Green will be co-captains with him taking the official title while green is out

Silent Knight

First Grade

Just a random prediction and I could be easily wrong but I reckon Tyrone Peachey will come out at some point and have another gripe about Barnett being part of the leadership group and a possible captain.

I expect some fireworks next season when we play the Titans, but ultimately I want us to nail them, the Bulldogs and the Warriors since their fan bases have been so uppity about taking our spot in the 8 during the pre-season. If their teams actually do it, credit to them, but all this early smack talk reeks of the crap that goes on in boxing.

Latest posts