What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Castleford Tigers sign Motu Tony

pcpp

Juniors
[/quote]Castleford Tigers have preceded the announcement of their new coach with the news that New Zealand international Motu Tony has signed for the club.

The 22-year-old was released by Brisbane Broncos at the start of this week, six months after initially moving from New Zealand Warriors at the end of last season.

The half back or hooker had begun this season at full back for the Broncos, but lost his place after a knee injury.

He has now joined the Tigers on a contract until the end of the 2004 Tetley's Rugby Super League season, and the club have an option to retain the Samoan-born star next year.

The club hope to welcome the Kiwi international to the UK in time for next Friday's visit to London Broncos, although he will miss this Sunday's crucial clash with Salford at The Jungle.

"Motu is a great acquisition for the Tigers," said chief executive Richard Wright.

"He is a current New Zealand international, only 22 years of age with a great reputation in the NRL and can certainly be the catalyst to change our season round.

"I am sure that our fans will be pleased with this news and will look forward to seeing him in a Tigers shirt.

"We are lucky that Wayne Bennett at Brisbane agreed to release Motu at this stage of the season."

The Tigers have also signed Wigan scrum half Luke Robinson on loan this week, and caretaker coach Gary Mercer said: "We have signed a top quality player in Motu.

"As soon as I knew that he could be available I earmarked him as a player who could do a great job for the Tigers.

"His main attributes are that he is tough, has plenty of pace and is an elusive runner. I am really looking forward to his arrival."

Tony himself is looking forward to returning to the UK, after seeing his appearance on the 2002 Kiwi Tour cut short due to a broken hand suffered against England A.

"I'm really looking forward to the challenge at Castleford and hope that I can make a contribution to lifting them up the table," he said.

"There are some quality players at the club and I’m sure the talent to do well.

"I know a little about the club and that it has had a good tradition of Kiwi players in the past, and even today with Gary Mercer and Michael Smith.

"I watched the English Super League back in New Zealand before I watched the NRL - as I was growing up I always used to enjoy watching Wigan, again because they had a big New Zealand contingent.

"Playing in the UK is something that I have always planned to do and I’m looking forward to getting over there."

In a busy day at The Jungle, the Tigers will also unveil the successor to Graham Steadman in their coaching role later on Wednesday afternoon.

[/quote]

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.asp?artid=204030&list=

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
I think this is a good move. Even if he stays for the one season before moving on, it can only benefit the team and put pressure on our under performing players.