What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalogo 7 weeks???

Mr Saab

Referee
Interesting picture in the Telegraph today.
Shows boom winger Shannon Hegarty puttng on a similar "choke" hold on a Raiders player earlier this yr.
Hmmm, cant recall that raiders player getting up and clocking Hegarty in the head.
Lowe, Faalago.....no discipline

_STING_

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Interesting picture in the Telegraph today.
Shows boom winger Shannon Hegarty puttng on a similar "choke" hold on a Raiders player earlier this yr.
Hmmm, cant recall that raiders player getting up and clocking Hegarty in the head.
Lowe, Faalago.....no discipline

I think it was because he had a reduction in blood flow to the brain which resulted in neurological symptoms like poor judgment or memory loss and he was all but dead. Luckily he recovered after a second or two and got up to play the ball instead and then was able to play the following week. :roll:

Wheelsy said:
What the doctor said is completely true. If the circumstances are right, you could kill someone with a choking tackle. However, the possiblilty of it is fairly low.

Wheelsy - The possibilty so far is none in 100 years. I can't even recall a seizure or stroke. Those Melbourne compression tackles against Brisbane looked like causing far worse damage if they weren't stopped in their tracks after that game. Mate if it wasn't a bunnies player involved, you and your merry men would have hardly commented. If the roles were reversed and it was Fa'alogo grappling Anasta, you would have applauded and then laughed off any attempt for the Roosters to bring in some witch doctor to come up with ridiculous statements.
IF and that is a big IF, there is a death from the result of a tackle, I would be more worried about a spear tackle going wrong than a grapple tackle. I think the doctor has lost some credibility within the rugby league community. The majority of people defending him are Souths supporters and those that paid him. If Souths wanted to fight the undefendable case, they should have got OJ's crew. They had nothing really to lose trying to defend the charge but they were never going to win. It's time to let this one go.

Tom Shines

First Grade
_STING_ said:
Wheelsy - The possibilty so far is none in 100 years. I can't even recall a seizure or stroke. Those Melbourne compression tackles against Brisbane looked like causing far worse damage if they weren't stopped in their tracks after that game. Mate if it wasn't a bunnies player involved, you and your merry men would have hardly commented. If the roles were reversed and it was Fa'alogo grappling Anasta, you would have applauded and then laughed off any attempt for the Roosters to bring in some witch doctor to come up with ridiculous statements.
Mate, for the record Fa'alogo deserved what he got. The defence was pretty laughable, almost as good as the Danny Williams one.

A doctor saying that death could happen from a grapple is an accurate statement. So is saying 'planes can have an accident'. The possibilty is there — but not as frequent as Souths, or the Doc, would have you believe.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Pika said:
Snapping the neck and applying a choke are completely different.

You can certainly kill someone with a choke.

The quickest way is cutting blood circulation to the brain, and as I said, when applied correctly, takes 4-5 seconds to simply lose consciousness, far longer to kill.

Forearm pressure across the wind pipe, while painful, takes even longer.
There was one in the Melbourne/Brisbane game (I think Inglis on Civ) where he looked like he was trying to unscrew his head. That could have quite possibly snapped a neck. Anasta on Fa'alogo on the other hand — nuh.

_STING_

Juniors
Wheelsy said:
Mate, for the record Fa'alogo deserved what he got. The defence was pretty laughable, almost as good as the Danny Williams one.

A doctor saying that death could happen from a grapple is an accurate statement. So is saying 'planes can have an accident'. The possibilty is there — but not as frequent as Souths, or the Doc, would have you believe.

:thumb

This is going to be a huge talking point when they discuss rules for next year. I remember the game between the Roosters and Titans where Wing grabbed the colar of player and was called for grapple. His arm was no where near his neck or head and Wing looked up at the replay and couldn't believe it. The grapple interpretation next year will cause as much angst as this year's shepphard rule IMO.

Hallatia

Referee
Wheelsy said:

thankyou for bringing Danny Williams up, I thought that they were similar incidents to be honest and warrant similar penalties. I agree 100% with what you are saying.

whoever advised Fa'alogo to plead not guilty, either wanted him out of the game or is a deadset moron.

Engine

Juniors
Souths are run by morons. Why is anybody suprised that he pleaded not guilty.

Player = bonehead
Management = boneheads
Souths fans who backed the thug = boneheads

Prepare for next year, as Manly will give Souths the mother of all beatings.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Hallatia said:
thankyou for bringing Danny Williams up, I thought that they were similar incidents to be honest and warrant similar penalties. I agree 100% with what you are saying.

whoever advised Fa'alogo to plead not guilty, either wanted him out of the game or is a deadset moron.
Williams was far worse.
The fact that he had to run ten metres a single him out made it a far worse act than Fa'alogos.

Latest posts