What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cattle - Coaching - Confidence

Easy answer is all 3, but im going to go for coaching because i cant see any of our 3 previous coaches achieving the same.

3 impressive wins on the trot. We are a top 4 side.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
BA needs a medal, sure we have some new players who have added plenty but you only have to look at how guys like Sandow,Sef Paulo,Hayne,Mannah, and Tonga are all playing great footy.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We will look in the mirror next week easter monday, and play a team who mirror us and we mirror them

20-20 draw coming up ?

eel01s

Bench
1. Coaching
2. Confidence
3. Cattle

BA has obviously inspired his cattle to believe in his style of play. They have self belief, which translates into on-field performance.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Still early boys. I get the feeling that we're playing at our peak already. But that might be because I've been jaded the last few years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed TEZZA. We just completed almost 95% in the wet. It doesn't get much better than that.

We were dominated for most of the game but had a great attitude and a bit of luck for the win. We will challenge the eight this year but we won't be challenging for the premiership. We might next year though.

#FiveYearPlan

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
What did you make of the Roosters defence tonight Pou? I thought their goal line defence was stumped against us, had no answers.

I think they successfully shut down the Semi/Tonga side and accounted for our go forward easily in the first half.

They targeted Sandow hard too but I think some of our boys protected him better towards the end.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah they definitely contained our middle men in that first half, which made it harder for us to shift the ball effectively. But we were always going to target Maloney. Every team does.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Our cattle recruitment under Ricky is so much better than it was under SK.

But Arthur telling those cattle what to do seems to have bred confidence rather than confusion.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our cattle recruitment under Ricky is so much better than it was under SK.

We did a lot less recruiting under Stuart because there was less need for wholesale change - a few of the 'academy' kids were (somewhat) ready in 2013 and therefore ready for 2014, eliminating the need to recruit in those positions.

But most of the current backline were recruited before Sticky came to the club:

Tonga
Hopoate
Radradra
Sandow

Plus Paulo and Lussick

Still, Peats and Ma'u were inspired signings, and Norman and Edwards have both likewise been very good. There was certainly less duds signed since 2012, but as I've explained, there was also less need to take recruitment risks than in previous years. That's the beauty of not being desperate.

Interestingly, one of the recent articles on Ma'u includes quotes from Kenny Edwards, who says that when they arrived for pre-season 2013 one of the lockers had Manu Ma'u's name on it, and nobody knew who he was. There was also the quote from his manager Tyran Smith stating that Ma'u wanted to repay Parra for negotiating with the Department of Immigration for a year to obtain his visa. He didn't start playing for us until mid-2013, meaning the negotiation with the Department began in mid 2012.

All that would indicate he was signed prior to Stuart's arrival as well. Credit where it's due.

lucablight

First Grade
Agreed TEZZA. We just completed almost 95% in the wet. It doesn't get much better than that.

We were dominated for most of the game but had a great attitude and a bit of luck for the win. We will challenge the eight this year but we won't be challenging for the premiership. We might next year though.

#FiveYearPlan

It's early days but why can't this team challenge for the title? It is a very well balanced team. Very good spine, one of the best backlines in the nrl and a forward pack that can compete in the yardage battle with any other pack in the comp. Please tell me where we are lacking? At the beginning of the year I didn't think we could either because I thought we were a winger and a few back rowers short but the emergence of Radradra, Peats, Mau, Edwards has changed the landscape of the competition.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm enjoying it for now but I still don't expect us to finish much higher than mid table at best.

I just hope we don't go back to Crisis - Catastrophe - Crap Cakes

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's early days but why can't this team challenge for the title? It is a very well balanced team. Very good spine, one of the best backlines in the nrl and a forward pack that can compete in the yardage battle with any other pack in the comp. Please tell me where we are lacking? At the beginning of the year I didn't think we could either because I thought we were a winger and a few back rowers short but the emergence of Radradra, Peats, Mau, Edwards has changed the landscape of the competition.

Our best players are mostly very inexperienced. That will hurt us through the season.

We only have six players with 100+ NRL games, including three at the end of their careers: Hayne, Tonga, Sandow, Mannah, Moimoi and Smith.

By comparison the Roosters have ten, and only one of them is over 30.

lucablight

First Grade
Our best players are mostly very inexperienced. That will hurt us through the season.

We only have six players with 100+ NRL games, including three at the end of their careers: Hayne, Tonga, Sandow, Mannah, Moimoi and Smith.

By comparison the Roosters have ten, and only one of them is over 30.

Class is more important than experience. If the team is good enough they can win it. Saying we can't win because of lack of experience is a cop out if the talent is there. I get visions of Ricky Stuart saying we're going to cop hidings after that big win in round 1 last year and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. Every team has a window where they can challenge for the title and I believe the Eels are in that place right now. If you're good enough you're old enough. Talent wise this is a very balanced team and not lacking anywhere on the field.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Class is more important than experience. If the team is good enough they can win it. Saying we can't win because of lack of experience is a cop out if the talent is there. I get visions of Ricky Stuart saying we're going to cop hidings after that big win in round 1 last year and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. Every team has a window where they can challenge for the title and I believe the Eels are in that place right now. If you're good enough you're old enough. Talent wise this is a very balanced team and not lacking anywhere on the field.

I wouldn't say that we can't win the comp. However, I would say that it is unlikely that we will.

Let's just enjoy not being a laughing stock for a while.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Class is more important than experience. If the team is good enough they can win it.

Well then I don't think we're good enough. We lack size and we still have too many players who have trouble concentrating every minute of every game (which generally comes with experience).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
At the start of the year i was just hoping not to get the spoon, but after 6 rounds i truly think we can challenge for a top 8 birth. Still a long way to go though. But 4 from 6 and 3 games against the grand finalists put us in a good space. Especially if we can back that up and knock of an improved Tigers next week.

Latest posts