What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celebrating our Heritage

Tim.butler

Juniors
In the spirit of making our great club even greater, here’s a thought.

Would love to see the full history of our great club celebrated.

On our jersey let’s put the historical date that the StGeorge Illawarra Dragons were founded on.

We should celebrate our full heritage. The genesis of the club started on 1921. Let’s not shy away from that, let’s openly celebrate it.

Take a look at the Swans logo, they now have the date the club historically started - 1874 (the former South Melbourne Football Club).

If StGeorge were not created in 1921, we would not be the StGeorge Illawarra Dragons we are today - let’s celebrate it.

56to66

Juniors

Dorsai

Juniors
I agree this is an opportune time to celebrate this great club. Yes it is a merged entity but its history began much earlier than 1999.
Lets celebrate the Dragons from 21 and the steelers from 82. That is a shed full of history there.
The Dragons today are a result of the 2 heritages. We are a proud club and its a great chance to say, this is the St George Illawarra Dragons. All of the premierships, all of the milestones, the list is endless. As a club we should have some recognition of that on our jersey. You see players all the time celebrating by grabbing the emblem, lets do it as well. The Dragons are one of the most recognizable franchises around the world. We have supporters across the world. Lets include them.
I still have the memorial jerseys for the 59 side and the 11 premierships. Why not a jersey that celebrates every player to have donned the jersey of both clubs similar to the one we had with long term members on it.
We need to stand together and be proud of the club. Both clubs.

Parko1310

Juniors
I agree this is an opportune time to celebrate this great club. Yes it is a merged entity but its history began much earlier than 1999.
Lets celebrate the Dragons from 21 and the steelers from 82. That is a shed full of history there.
The Dragons today are a result of the 2 heritages. We are a proud club and its a great chance to say, this is the St George Illawarra Dragons. All of the premierships, all of the milestones, the list is endless. As a club we should have some recognition of that on our jersey. You see players all the time celebrating by grabbing the emblem, lets do it as well. The Dragons are one of the most recognizable franchises around the world. We have supporters across the world. Lets include them.
I still have the memorial jerseys for the 59 side and the 11 premierships. Why not a jersey that celebrates every player to have donned the jersey of both clubs similar to the one we had with long term members on it.
We need to stand together and be proud of the club. Both clubs.
Agreed I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong, in fact I would love it, if we wore that 2022 40 year Steelers commemorative jersey as our away strip. It's just a really nice jersey I think, plus it honours history. We don't have to wear it every single year necessarily, and we can mix it up and do different variations on it, but the actual jersey looks really good I think. I don't understand all this hesitation from either side of the joint venture to acknowledge either one's history. It's unique, and it's an awesome history that you can really lean in to. For example, we're reluctant to acknowledge the immortals coming from the St George side and the 11 in a row. Why? It's all part of the history of this one great club. I think when the COE goes up, having perhaps the gym known as the 'immortals room' or something similar, with a massive print of all of St George's immortals looking down at the players and coaches would be an awesome thing to have. It's inspiring, and can only help, but it won't happen because somehow it'd be looked at as divisive by some. You'd have prints of ex Steelers, St George and St George Illawarra players all around the COE as well, because they're all part of our history. But the club wants to ignore all of it because they're a bunch of overgrown children in the board room. I love that we've heard out of the club they're removing the term joint venture and they're trying to move forward as one club. That's exactly what I've wanted to know and hear for a long time, but it doesn't mean disregarding our history either. There's a balance there, and it seems some individuals in high up positions are too immature and petulant, so it has to be either we're fighting about who's better or we have to pretend history doesn't exist all together. There's no middle ground there