What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centre Of Attention

ed bbay

Juniors
our centres have just been ranked last out of all the teams in the nrl , but we ve signed them both up early . while i agree with phill i dont with howell . i know where only 1 game into the season but its clear that howell will not be a superstar . why are we as a club going out of our way to sign these under performers up before june 30 . elliott likes howell but not enough to take him to penrith with him or did the panthers tell him that they did nt want this nuffie , because they would be talking to each other . howell could play well for the rest of the year but considering where publicly chasing jamie lyon why would we need him .if we expect him to come for 350 -400 a year there kidding . what ever figure they have in mind they should of put what they gave howell on top & make sure he comes . we dont have any 400 a season players & we need some if we had one in each key area that would be enough , centre , forward , half & full back we already have fullback covered . with players like howell , mogg , frawelly getting a start when ever their fit & not on performance our p/l players dont stand a chance . we have great talent in p/l but they will not improve there . if u had 4 key players you could throw milne , chalk , ale , purtell , zillman , jones , raston & the like around them & you d have a strong team (look what happened on the weekend ) & not only that they would get 1st grade experince . at the moment they bore themselfs in p/l while over paid nuffies play 1 st grade .

other centres that are off contract at june 30 willie tonga , reni maitua , nigel vagana , beau scott , kurt gidley , matt gidley , josh hannay , paul bowman , ben smith , luke burt , jamie lyon , gasnier , ryan cross , clinton toopi , simon mannering

theres alot to pick from is nt there why did we re - sign howell what ever we paid for him we could of got one of these blokes which are all better .

if we miss lyon we should pay money for one of these please canberra buy a decent centre . !!! .

jed

First Grade
ed bbay said:
our centres have just been ranked last out of all the teams in the nrl , but we ve signed them both up early . while i agree with phill i dont with howell . i know where only 1 game into the season but its clear that howell will not be a superstar . why are we as a club going out of our way to sign these under performers up before june 30 . elliott likes howell but not enough to take him to penrith with him or did the panthers tell him that they did nt want this nuffie , because they would be talking to each other . howell could play well for the rest of the year but considering where publicly chasing jamie lyon why would we need him .if we expect him to come for 350 -400 a year there kidding . what ever figure they have in mind they should of put what they gave howell on top & make sure he comes . we dont have any 400 a season players & we need some if we had one in each key area that would be enough , centre , forward , half & full back we already have fullback covered . with players like howell , mogg , frawelly getting a start when ever their fit & not on performance our p/l players dont stand a chance . we have great talent in p/l but they will not improve there . if u had 4 key players you could throw milne , chalk , ale , purtell , zillman , jones , raston & the like around them & you d have a strong team (look what happened on the weekend ) & not only that they would get 1st grade experince . at the moment they bore themselfs in p/l while over paid nuffies play 1 st grade .

other centres that are off contract at june 30 willie tonga , reni maitua , nigel vagana , beau scott , kurt gidley , matt gidley , josh hannay , paul bowman , ben smith , luke burt , jamie lyon , gasnier , ryan cross , clinton toopi , simon mannering

theres alot to pick from is nt there why did we re - sign howell what ever we paid for him we could of got one of these blokes which are all better .

if we miss lyon we should pay money for one of these please canberra buy a decent centre . !!! .
So you know that we're paying Howell a sh*tload, ey?

Or are you just assuming that we won't be trying to sign others from that list? All we know about his salary is that it's more than he was being payed at the Dragons to play PL. If he's as crap as you're making out (I don't believe he is), then it's quite possible that we offered him the same amout to re-sign as a depth player.

Most of those guys on your list will be re-signing with the same club, and we'll have to compete against the other 15 clubs for the remaining signatures.

So Howell dropped the ball. Did you come down on Schif this harshly when he dropped the bomb, or do you only fire up when they're not a superstar?

Kris_man

Bench
Wake up to reality, jed. Howell was a priority signing, that is what ed bbay is referring to. If you missed all of Howell's dropped balls and penalties last season, then I'll inform you now: Howell dropped a lot of ball and gave away a lot of penalties last season.

jed

First Grade
Kris_man said:
Wake up to reality, jed. Howell was a priority signing, that is what ed bbay is referring to. If you missed all of Howell's dropped balls and penalties last season, then I'll inform you now: Howell dropped a lot of ball and gave away a lot of penalties last season.
No sh*t sherlock.

How many training sessions have you turned up? How about trials this season? Did you even bother going to Brookvale? Or have you talked about this with the club.

Face it, you have as much of an idea as I do about what's happened off the field.

Take out his shocker of a dropped ball last Saturday night, and although he was nothing special, he was still worthy of a place in the side. However as soon as he bombed the try, that's all anyone remembered.

Until you show me that you know how much his contract has gone up or down, I'll treat your posts as OPINIONS, not fact.

Edwahu

Bench
Howell does cop a hammering considering we play mostly to the other side of the park and defensively he is ok. I reckon he is allright, although Elliots having a joke if he thinks he will ever be a rep player. If they signed him as back up for a couple of years its a good move. I mean you need 10 threequarters who can play firsts and if the club plans on him been ranked about 7 or 8th next year we would be doing allright.

Defensively, I have to admit he might be our best outside back, other than Schif. Mogg rushes up on the line too early and often lets a big break. Phil has improved a lot although with his size he still sometimes struggles to bring down the man. With Howell, he rushes up a lot too but more often than not he shuts down the play when it's being spread out wide. He did it last weekend against Manly when they were deep in attack.

Now if he could only not touch the ball in attack...

ed bbay

Juniors
dear JED i dont belive i mentioned how much we were paying him . i never said we would nt sign others from that list but suggested wait to june 30 & test them out if no luck fine sign howell , but at least try & get some one better if u think howell is as good as most of those on that list then fine , i dont . and from past experince when schif drops the ball its probably from being over worked because he plays as if every games his last or he makes up for the mistake by wining the game for us something howell will never do or be is busy .

i also find it funny how other people & mods can have a opinon on here & new members like me dont seem to have that curtisey i did nt attack howell or management but instead offered my opinon i even said that howell might play well for the rest of the year but my main point is why are we signing these players so early when theres great talent coming off contract june 30 .
heres a question to you seeing u questioned me how do you know most of the players on the list will be resigned ! ? . all most everything on here is speculation

jed

First Grade
ed bbay said:
dear JED i dont belive i mentioned how much we were paying him . i never said we would nt sign others from that list but suggested wait to june 30 & test them out if no luck fine sign howell , but at least try & get some one better if u think howell is as good as most of those on that list then fine , i dont . and from past experince when schif drops the ball its probably from being over worked because he plays as if every games his last or he makes up for the mistake by wining the game for us something howell will never do or be is busy .
You have your ideas for management, the club clearly has others. They're the ones making the decisions, they see the bigger picture. You see 80 minutes on the weekend and you're suddenly more of an expert than them?

ed bbay said:
i also find it funny how other people & mods can have a opinon on here & new members like me dont seem to have that curtisey i did nt attack howell or management but instead offered my opinon i even said that howell might play well for the rest of the year but my main point is why are we signing these players so early when theres great talent coming off contract june 30 .
So the fact that I'm a mod means I can't express my opinion? You presented your case, I responded with my thoughts. I didn't attack you at all, merely presented my opinions on some of what you said, and added a few new points of my own.

ed bbay said:
heres a question to you seeing u questioned me how do you know most of the players on the list will be resigned ! ? . all most everything on here is speculation
Experience tells me that when you make a list of players that are off contract, the majority will be offered a new contract from their existing club. A fair few will move on, but more stay. No insider knowledge, sorry.

ed bbay

Juniors
i belive your 1st post was an attack on me if you re - read it & then what you said in your 2 nd post is what i said we all have our own opinons & all of us should have them our it would be pretty boring around here . in the past i have openly attacked players & staff in here & if i was then attacked back i would cop it , but i thought my thread was honest & objective & in no way singling out anyone .

the main fact is that everyone seems to be missing is whats the rush to sign howell no one can approach him till june 30 & we cant approach any one till than either . if we get a good coach players might want to play for us again & they will come in droves if we have a good season this year . all im saying is have a shot at some big names surley thats not to much to ask .

jed

First Grade
It appears to me that, rather than him being a priority signing, he simply accepted the first offer that was made, rather than trying to negotiate more money.

Howell won't be on big money, there's still plenty left in the kitty, don't worry about that.

greeneyed

First Grade
Jed. The fans see outcomes. I see outcomes. You see outcomes. Management is judged on outcomes. None of this "he puts in such an effort on the training field" garbage. I am very well able to judge on outcomes. That is what counts. Doesn't matter a damn if people get up at 4am to train. What counts is if we win the premiership. Hasn't happened since 1994, from memory. Unacceptable in my view. If they get up at 7am and not 2.30am to train, I don't care. So long as they win the premiership.

That is all.

edabomb

First Grade
I'd agree we have the worst centers in the game. Howell would be one of the 3 or 4 worst centers in the game with regular starting spots. Graham is ok, but still way off the top tier of centers like Gasnier, Whatuira, Matt King etc...

Nice rant GE. You make it sound like managing the Canberra Raiders is the easiest job in the world.

Latest posts