What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centres: are they done?

MilkShark

First Grade
Centres are done until we reduce the interchange.

Reduce the interchange and we will also get back locks, 2nd rowers, halves and 5/8's.

The best all round centre pairing I've ever seen was Steve Rogers and Mick Cronin.
Yes it was for Australia but those two complimented each other like no one else.
IMO of course.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
what has made you lose interest in RL?
This is a very good question. One that I cannot immediately give an answer to. I still watch NRL 360 regularly, and look forward to the rep and finals season, but I admit, I am far less interested in watching the club games.

More increased global access to cricket has helped this I am sure.

I guess it is upto the NRL to figure out why for some of us, our interest is waning.

Apparently reducing the interchange will lead to more broken play which is good, but it will further reduce the big hits which are a crowd pleaser.

And on Sundays, I'd often now rather watch a good film or 2 than the Sunday game.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights - I don't why League doesn't appeal. I have access to Pay TV for all the games.

I'm just not that keen on my weekend to watching club footy games anymore and I don't follow the club scene with passion like I used to.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
This is a very good question. One that I cannot immediately give an answer to. I still watch NRL 360 regularly, and look forward to the rep and finals season, but I admit, I am far less interested in watching the club games.

More increased global access to cricket has helped this I am sure.

I guess it is upto the NRL to figure out why for some of us, our interest is waning.

Apparently reducing the interchange will lead to more broken play which is good, but it will further reduce the big hits which are a crowd pleaser.

And on Sundays, I'd often now rather watch a good film or 2 than the Sunday game.

I am out of here for a week but this needs to be fleshed out more on my return.

gUt

Coach
Watching NRL 360 is a good way to have the appeal of RL gradually rinsed from your brain. No other show has such an ability to suck the fun and life out of a sport.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
My favourite was Renouf and Darren Smith.
When compared to the best of the best, I always found Renouf to be a liability, sure he was great in space, but not so good in defence or in the hard yards. Smith I thought was a bit dour, more a second rower who could play centre. But he was very very reliable. He wouldn't let the team down on defence, and he would get the ball to an open winger.

Had Florimo been a Queenslander, I reckon he would have got more rep games instead of Renouf.

But Renouf has managed to get this aura around him, possibly cos of his great long range tries that those grand final efforts esp 1992 erase from people's memories just how much Queensland did not to select him because of his shortcommings (when Wayne Bennett wasn't coach).

Just my thoughts. You won't hear about Mark Coyne being as great Renouf, but Qld found ways to pick him instead for example. And I am not referring to the Super League war.

I used to not look forward to NSW centres Fittler, Mary, ET, Hill or a roaming Daley marking up against Renouf in Origin at all. And I am a Queensland fan.

Renouf to me was a very good finisher who well complemented the Harlem Globetropper type typical dominance of the Bronco's in the 1990's. But when put in a real contest against a quality physical centre or who simply had the skills and pace of a Daley or ET, it was a very different story. He became one of the weaknesses that made the opposition the stronger team. Now compare that to someone like Greg Inglis, who has so often been the difference between winning more and losing less.

Last edited: