What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup?

LESStar58

Referee
Just so I get this right, the Challenge Cup is when the Super League sides play the Division 1 sides...correct?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Kind of. The Challenge Cup is a knockout cup competition like the FA Cup in football (Soccer to you Aussies). Basically all the professional clubs from Super League, National Leagues 1,2 & 3 plus the amateurs who get through the qualification rounds are put into a hat and drawn out, with the winners moving to the next round and the losers bowing out.

There are also Scottish, Welsh, Irish, French and Russian teams in the Challenge Cup.

It is the most historic competition in rugby league, with far more heritage than any of the Aussie comps. Check out the winners etc here:

http://www.rfl.uk.com/Templates/RFLDefault.asp?modeID=Content&uID=47

axl rose

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
It is the most historic competition in rugby league, with far more heritage than any of the Aussie comps. Check out the winners etc here:

Dont me wrong, i luv watching the final on tv from Oz but how much of a chance do most of those teams have? about zero? i remember watching Shefeild Eagles(where did they go?) beat wigan years ago in an upset but other then that cant remember any other no-name teams being up there.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
axl rose said:
Fairleigh Good! said:

Dont me wrong, i luv watching the final on tv from Oz but how much of a chance do most of those teams have? about zero? i remember watching Shefeild Eagles(where did they go?) beat wigan years ago in an upset but other then that cant remember any other no-name teams being up there.

Most Super League clubs don't have a chance, but hey thats the beauty of it all.

Imagine being a young lad playing for one of the National League sides and being drawn out of the hat against Saints, Bradford or Leeds. That is what dreams are made of.

Super League teams do lose to the lower league teams occasionally too. It just gives the amateurs the chance to raise their game and play against pro's, it gives the lower pro teams an exciting and financially rewarding day and perhaps most importantly it gives the Welsh, Russian, Scottish, Irish and French players the chance to play at a higher level.

Plus the Final is one of only 2 days where League makes the National TV news, unless somone is involved in a betting scandal that is.

axl rose

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
axl rose said:
Fairleigh Good! said:

Most Super League clubs don't have a chance, but hey thats the beauty of it all.

Imagine being a young lad playing for one of the National League sides and being drawn out of the hat against Saints, Bradford or Leeds. That is what dreams are made of.

Super League teams do lose to the lower league teams occasionally too. It just gives the amateurs the chance to raise their game and play against pro's, it gives the lower pro teams an exciting and financially rewarding day and perhaps most importantly it gives the Welsh, Russian, Scottish, Irish and French players the chance to play at a higher level.

Plus the Final is one of only 2 days where League makes the National TV news, unless somone is involved in a betting scandal that is.

Maybe Australia should have something like that. But the players would just whinge that about playing an extra few games of cause.

bartman

Immortal
York City Knights (Division 2) made it to the Quarter Finals (last 8?) this year, before going down to Huddersfield Giants.

Axl, Sheffield Eagles are still running around in Div 2 these days as well.

mightybears

Bench
and it should be on free to air tv in australia again
a great tradition to watch, buggered up by pay tv