What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes for England

nadera78

Juniors
It was noticable that the younger guys stood up today and made an impact: Crabtree, Burgess and Westwood ran hard with the ball and hit hard in the tackle. Tomkins and Eastmond were the ones who tried to move the ball around and take on the Aussie defence.

Meanwhile the senior players (Peacock and Morley especially) look as though they just don't think they'll ever beat Australia. There was no aggression, no enthusiasm, no committment. They're punch drunk.

Was interesting to see Sinfield (nowhere near Test standard at 13) play so well at hooker in the second half. Might be a better option there than Roby, who is an excellent impact player late on but doesn't have the skills for an international hooker.

And Maguire simply isn't good enough to play at 6 at this level. You can get away with just being a support player in ESL, but not in Test matches. His passing is woeful, and kicking even worse. And Lee Smith can go to rahrah now, he and Maguire couldn't read a game if they were sitting at home watching it in slow-motion.

For next week I'd go with;
S.Briscoe
Fox (only winger left)
T.Briscoe (he's a centre and it was Smith at fault for the tries not him)
Shenton
Hall
Tomkins
Eastmond (he'll be a great FB, but he's the only option for 7 in this squad)
Graham
Sinfield (not a test 13, but played well at 9 today)
Carvell
Ellis
Burgess
Westwood.

Crabtree
Roby
Peacock (only 'cos there's no alternative)
Morley (again, no alternative)

ali

Bench
I was thinking similar. The Tomkins / Eastmond halves combo looked creative. Danny Maguire had a very ordinary game and should probably slip down the pecking order.

Otherwise not sure what Tom Briscoe did wrong to deserve being replaced. I thought he was going ok up until that point, though Lee Smith did play better on the wing.

My only other concern is fullback. Shaun Briscoe is a good Rugby League player, but he is another Paul Wellens. Safe, but lacking pace. England need someone with more pace and creativity at the back. Unless Eastmond is moved there then they don't have anyone in this squad. For that reason, I still think Leon Pryce could fill this position down the track.

I thought the forwards did well, and I wouldn't change much there other than to have them a little less condensed.

smacky

Juniors
Why isnt Leon Pryce in the squad? Surely hes a better centre option than some of the guys in the squad

ozenzud

Juniors
Couldn't agree more about the england halves. They were very poorly organised. That Tomkins, where was he playing in the second half, centre? Seems to me he wasn't first receiver, wasn't organising and Maguire, well be was rubbish. Tomkins could be an OK player but was he a half?

That Eastmond though, he looks good.

Poms looked good when they tried something other than trying to execute structured plays at about half the speed that Oz was doing it.

Thought it was going to be an absolute embarrisment in the first half.

taste2taste

Juniors
Having never seen most of the GB team before, i really liked Tomkins, Eastmond, Sinfeild,and the forward with the pony tail (Crabtree ?)

Tomkins and Eastmond should be the halves, perhaps McGuire at hooker and a tall, creative, skilled FB would be good....oh wait they didnt pick one.

JasonE

Bench
I agree about Tom Briscoe, it wasn't his fault that Danny McGuire and Lee Smith were disgraceful in defence.
I hope the youngster gets another shot next week although who knows what Smith will do.

anjado

Juniors
McGuire was terrible but i feel he should be given a go at fullback he is clearly a ball runner rather then someone who can organize attacks. They have to drop Shaun Briscoe like Wellens before him he hasn't done much wrong. But he is just far far too slow England still pick fullbacks who are safe and dependable, Which you just can't do in the modern game every fullback in the NRL is an attacking fullback.

It just adds so much, When England put in a good kick in the rare times that they do, Slater can still turn and chase and make a decent kick return,If it's a terrible kick then he is capable of scoring. The likes of Briscoe, Wellens and to a lesser extent Radlinski When they get the ball you just know nothing is going to happen.

Which is why i think Mcguire or Pryce even though Pryce wasn't picked for the squad, Would be the best option at fullback, Yes defensively they might not be great or terrible judging by McGuire's "performance" today. But in saying that Shaun Briscoe didn't save any tries which is basically why he is in the team. It wasn't his fault of course but if you offer nothing in attack and you have no hope of stopping the tries whether it's Briscoe or you or me at fullback, Then what's the point of picking a defensive fullback there is no point.

England play at there best when they can get the forwards to offload and get good support play which they did in the second half. So if they can have Tomkins,Eastmond and Mcguire all sniffing around the forwards for offlaods they can put in a decent performance. It's why an attack minded fullback is important for England, Picking Briscoe and Wellens is just being ultra negative because at best all they can offer is no mistakes. But they offer nothing in attack and no spark at all.

Tomkins was a positive for England at least he put in some decent kicks, Also showed good footwork they need to get Eastmond to play the entire 80 minutes he is a bit like Jennings he always looks dangerous with the ball.

Stick Sinfield in at hooker, Put Roby back on the bench. I would start Burgess, Bring Graham off the bench,Move Peacock back to the front row he is too slow to play in the second row these days. Really England's forwards did fine, There backs just let them down so badly. Australia only have to be competative in the forwards to win the game which is a massive problem.

My side

1. McGuire ( England need spark at the back )
2. T. Briscoe ( Didn't do an awful lot wrong i thought he was badly let down by those inside him)
3. Eastmond ( Needs to play more minutes looks an exciting prospect )
4. Shenton ( Been impressed by him though he has seen limited ball )
5. Hall ( Solid dependable does a job )
6. Myler ( Played alright against France deserves another go )
7. Tomkins ( Good to see an English half stand up and take responsibility )
8. Morley ( No brainer need him to get more pumped up if he still can )
9. Sinfield ( Played well at dummy half, extra kicking option )
10. Peacock ( Played alright should never play in the second row )
11. Ellis ( Playing with great confidence )
12. Burgess ( Quality young player needs to start though )
13. Westwood ( Has played quite well )
14. Roby ( He is an impact player )
15. Crabtree ( Played well )
16. Graham ( Been pretty good and solid like always )
17. O'Loughlin ( I was really struggling here but i think he is a decent player )

England need to defend better on the edges they really should of picked one of Senior or Gleeson. Tomkins needs to put in another good kicking game,People over look this in Australia's dominance because this is the area they dominate over England and New Zealand the most. Forward will play well they have been doing pretty well for years. They need to start well to have any chance though New Zealand could very likely blow England out in the same way Australia did in the first 20 minutes.

Hopefully they take a bit out of the second half whether it was Australia easing up or not, It was still a good performance and turned a game which could of been the biggest disaster in English Rugby League history into a game which brought some positives.

Billythekid

First Grade
England have got to just start blooding young players. They have 4 years till the WC which is quite a while. Forget about the older hacks who have been losing for years. Get the young blokes in and start preparing for the future.

Why isnt Leon Pryce in the squad? Surely hes a better centre option than some of the guys in the squad

Get him on the same side as Inglis.

hutch

First Grade
england need to pick a set of halves and stick with them. they have a policy over the years of having a different halves pairing every single game, which holds them back. id go with tomkins and maguire next week again, they have played once together now, and will be better for the run!

In-goal

Bench
Did most of us miss the second half?

Besides the early lapses, I think England were quite good. sure the conceded early points, yet a couple of those tries Australia scored where lucky and against the run of play, don't think Australia are that much better the England

jim_57

Staff member
Did most of us miss the second half?

Besides the early lapses, I think England were quite good. sure the conceded early points, yet a couple of those tries Australia scored where lucky and against the run of play, don't think Australia are that much better the England

People seem to be sure Australia switched off, I very much doubt it, the players would have been looking for 50+, they would never switch off let alone with just 26 points on the board.

They also seem to forget we scored all our points on the one side from two players bad defense, when England plugged that problem we didn't score again... Anyone who says Australia wouldn't have scored 100 if they could is having a laugh.

I would go with:
S Briscoe
T Briscoe
Eastmond
Shenton
Hall
Tomkins
Myler
Morley
Roby
Peacock
Ellis
Burgess
Sinfield

Graham
Crabtree
Westwood
McGuire

Last edited:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
McGuire was terrible but i feel he should be given a go at fullback he is clearly a ball runner rather then someone who can organize attacks.

That is an interesting suggestion. Has he played at fullback before?

When was the last time Lee Smith played fullback? All I know is that he deputized for the injured Brent Webb in the 2008 decider and was the best player on the park. Maybe he is worth a go back there?

1. Smith
2. T. Briscoe
3. Bridge
4. Shenton
5. Hall
6. Eastmond
7. Tomkins
8. Morley
9. Roby
10. Peacock
11. Ellis
12. Burgess
13. Sinfield

14. Crabtree
15. Westwood
16. Graham
17. Carvell

In my opinion Sinfield, Eastmond and Tomkins need to be on the field together for as long as possible.

roughyedspud

Coach
i also don't think i'd pair the new guys up in the halves,i believe we need some experience in there..so i think i'd drop mguire and move sinfield to 6 and burgess to 13 and when we swap roby out move kev to hooker and bring eastmond into the halves..the rest i'd go..

1. lee smith
2. tom briscoe
3. ryan hall
4. michael shenton
5. peter fox
6. kev sinfield
7. sam tomkins
8. gareth carvell
9. james roby
10. james graham
11. gareth ellis
12. jon wilkin (fresh legs)
13. sam burgess

14. jamie peacock
15. adrian morley (he and peacock need abit of a rest imo)
16. erol crabtree
17. kyle eastmond

i think......i can't believe we picked some like paul sykes and left leon pryce out of the squad..thats piss poor imo

also i think if we make the final we should move gareth ellis out to the centers opposite greg inglis..we need someone out there who can tackle him before he stretches those bloody legs..lol

Last edited:
England need to bring in players with skill, ability, heart and guts.

My suggestions are .................................. eh......................eh......

Oh well, looks like you're f**ked. :)

Again. :)

probably does'nt....

but a half arsed leon pryce is a million miles better than paul sykes

That's not saying much though is it?
It's a disgrace Sykes is in the squad. Pryce though is just a flat track bully, playing well off the back a dominant Bradford and St Helens forward pack. It's a different kettle of fish against aus and NZ.