What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the points value of Tries, Conversions and Field Goals.

LineBall

Juniors
As part of the off-season tradition of unusual threads, I thought I'd throw this one out there.

Should the value of Tries, Conversions and Field Goals be changed to:

Tries: 5 points
Field Goals: 2 points
Conversion: 1 point

I don't want the game to become a field goal-a-thon, but it is a skillful play that does add some variety to the game. Conversions are also a lottery, due to where the try is scored. Currently a team that scores two tries under the posts is guaranteed an extra 4 points, while the other side who score two near the corner post are likely to miss both. If conversions were only worth one point each, there wouldn't be as much of an imbalance.

Anyway, flame away.

T.S Quint

Coach
It's harder to score under the posts.
Anyone can score a try out wide ffs!

Except for the Dragons, of course.

T-Boon

Coach
It is worth considering. Those point values need to be thought about.
There are many arguments in favour of field goals being worth more than conversions: Firstly, field goals are at least contestable. The defence can shut a field goal down if they put the effort in. Secondly as the OP said with conversions you are essentially punished/rewarded for where you score the try - when often the best tries are out wide. Thirdly, if FG's are more of a threat the defence will need to scramble to account for it so some cool tries could be scored from broken field type play.

You would likely see a lot more FGs attempted. Though 7 tackle sets and low percentage success would be a deterrent.

7 tackle set sucks by the way - it is just an extra hit up. Just make the restart from the 30.

Diesel

Referee
That's pretty much what rugby do, screw thst.

Leagues point scoring of 4, 2, 1 works well and rugby probably wish they could go back to this scoring instead of their constant penalties

TheDalek079

Bench
I've always been fond of having an arc or semi circle (similar to the 3 point line in basketball), beyond which a drop goal is worth three points. This would add excitement as long range (or wide angled) field goals are exciting.

LineBall

Juniors
That's pretty much what rugby do, screw thst.

Leagues point scoring of 4, 2, 1 works well and rugby probably wish they could go back to this scoring instead of their constant penalties

It's nothing like Union. They have 3 point penalties and field goals. Having 5 point tries should make "taking the two" less common as a team would be more inclined to take the tap, go for the try for the first 5 tackles, and have the option of slotting a field goal on the last.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The scoring system league has is fine, better than any alternative.

The object of the game is to score tries, anything that reduces that would hurt the game not enhance it.

Diesel

Referee
It's nothing like Union. They have 3 point penalties and field goals. Having 5 point tries should make "taking the two" less common as a team would be more inclined to take the tap, go for the try for the first 5 tackles, and have the option of slotting a field goal on the last.
Except for Bennett coached teams over the past 2 years and a few other followers, taking the two isn't a regular thing. This year might be taking FG as the "new thing"

AJB1102

First Grade
Everyone is a troll in the off season.

Well done, @LineBall you've got a better response and stayed out of the cave longer than I'd have thought.

POPEYE

Coach
Bozo became immortal due to 2 point field goals so for that reason alone I'd keep them at 1 . . . wouldn't mind tries being worth 5 points or conversions down to 1

AJB1102

First Grade
Bozo became immortal due to 2 point field goals so for that reason alone I'd keep them at 1 . . . wouldn't mind tries being worth 5 points or conversions down to 1

C'mon ol' mate, a well established troll such as your esteemed self does not need to ride the coat tails of rank amateurs.

ed-grimley

Bench
Going for repeat sets is negative play especially if the attacking team can't score a try. Give the attacking team a point if they tackle a defender in-goal with a kick-off ensuing. It may encourage the attacking team to be more creative with the ball.