What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Disgrace

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
It is Rugby League, and Rugby Union, when someone says "Thats Good Rugby" they could mean either, i dont think that we should have to sacrifice the term 'rugby' to union... Why cant we be Rugby, and Union be 'Union'

Misanthrope

Staff member
Suggesting Foxtel is kind of amusing. Isn't their earliest replay scheduled for 1am?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
*Paul* said:
Well, that's pretty much how it is. The only times I've seen people use rugby to mean league is by outsiders who are unaware of the difference, or at least unaware that we consider them wholly separate and distinct sports.
I don't consider French Rugby League supporters as outsiders. Problem is, you're expressing what is largely an Australian view. No disrepect but we should attempt a wider view.

Its simply not true that everyone accepts the word Rugby as being the generic for RU. This thread alone shows that.

Internationally, League followers have no problem recognising the game as a Rugby code.... because in actual fact and historically, it is a Rugby code.

I usually call it Union or League. Its a habit I've developed and one which I find helps to avoid confusion in discussions. When I say 'Union', there's no chance of any misunderstandings.

Greeneyed, pleased to have found the common ground. ;-)

DruMAX

Juniors
This is pretty much the case here, I live in Texas, I assumed NRL is Rugby with some obvious changes in rules and play from what I normally consider rugby or more like what kind of Rugby I normally watch here in the US...I guess I can see how people would consider them completely different games...though I guess they both use the rugby and separate the 2 games as Union and League...sorry about that...I like them both...

Razor said:
Zippy, DruMax could be correct in what he thinks

I've been to the US and one person said to me that they seen "Aussie Rugby" one day and enjoyed it a lot more than "Normal Rugby". Not sure where DruMax lives, but some people think League and Union are the same sport with variations on where it's played.

Latest posts