What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charlie Gubb

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't care if he goes, he's clogging up our middle forward pathways hurting guys who are frankly better (Sipley, Tuli). That said... his manager is a twit. He signed a contract for an agreed amount and an agreed length with conditions that both parties knew about mate, making that public play does nothing but gets you offside with the guy who handles the contracts of the only NZ club in the competition.

If he's on that little money it does nothing to help our cap (since his spot would need to be filled by another guy on or close to the minimum), so there's no benefit for us to release him. If the Sharks (or someone else) want him, offer something we want in return. I take a look at Jordan Drew... injury has been his biggest problem (and being at a club behind three top level centres), would provide quality competition for Ayshford.

All I'd want for this squad is a centre/winger (or two) for competition to the incumbents and as many quality middles as we can get (so if someone wants a middle from us presumably they aren't going to release one of their own that we would want).

This. People sooking about contracts they signed, ala Corey Parker in his book, is laughable. If you're not savvy enough to negotiate contracts that you're comfortable long-term or short-term, that's no one else's issue but your own.

Hadn't thought about that, but yeah if we could get a player swap done - honestly, I'd take two massage tables for Charlie Gubb. Even one if the Sharks want to play hardball. Probably not Gerald Beale, however. Don't know much about Drew but if he's got talent we should get that done.

Yeah, which is why I didn't say we should let him go. I have no trouble if he's depth for injuries. Issue was this season, he was a first choice bench - and at times starting - option when we had better, ie Sipley, in NSW Cup. So if he's retained for 2017, ok cool I know you need depth on limited coin and when they've played a bit of NRL, even better. And I've got no desire to let people go when they sign contracts. We're not a charity. Sign a deal, with an option in our favour, then you have to honour it.

But it absolutely bemuses me that other clubs would see him as a good option to pay more coin to. He makes 7m a carry and never bends the line. Any belief that he's a workhorse is not backed up by stats. He often hits low and allows quick play the balls, if he's not grass cutting on his own line. I think he corrected it but early season he had an insanely bad missed tackle count for the minutes he was playing. Yet the premiers want him?

I'd be staggered if we resigned him, unless he undergoes a massive upswing in ability. Having said that, we kept Sione f**king Lousi for long enough (and apparently paid him overs).

to the tune of 250k a year for sione ffs

Rich102

Staff member
Two Warriors props could reportedly be leaving the club.

Albert Vete and Charlie Gubb are being targeted by Australian clubs, according to Fox Sports.

It's claimed that Vete, 23, is wanted by the Gold Coast Titans, with their head coach Neil Henry keen on signing the front-rower, who enjoyed a breakthrough season in the NRL in 2016.

Vete comes off contract in 2017 and he isn't the only Warriors prop attracting attention from across the Tasman.
Fox Sports report that Gubb's management are continuing to push for a release.

Stuff reported earlier this month that Gubb has already had an attempt to leave blocked by the Warriors, who hold an option on him for this season.

New coach Stephen Kearney had been impressed with Gubb's attitude in training and wanted to keep him, but Gubb's manager Frank Endacott was trying to persuade the Warriors to not pick up the option on him.

"It's not satisfactory for Charlie, but it's something we've got to work though and I'm not confident we can resolve it," Endacott said on December 10.

"He's on that option year and I'm trying to sort things out, but it's not happening quickly.

"Normally, if players want to leave a club they let them go.

"Charlie was on a low contract because he had to prove himself. Well he's more than proved himself, but he's not getting the salary to match his ability and what he's worth in the team."

Endacott said the Warriors needed to pay Gubb what he was worth.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-heral...ubb-could-leave-the-club-for-Australia-report

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Charlie Scrub not getting the salary to match his ability ? Pretty tough on him if he isn't getting the $500 his ability is worth

Please keep him though Warriors, I'm not confident enough to declare we wouldn't be 1 of the muppet clubs trying to grab him !!

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Charlie Scrub not getting the salary to match his ability ? Pretty tough on him if he isn't getting the $500 his ability is worth

Please keep him though Warriors, I'm not confident enough to declare we wouldn't be 1 of the muppet clubs trying to grab him !!
He might be a revelation there and Ive seen enough to suggest he can be good. Like you, Im not a big fan of Gubb but the Sea Eagles are looking at him and I can see why. Obviously they have a plan for him and not everything goes to plan but it'll be interesting to see how he goes if he transfers as it is with most kiwi players when they leave us.

Last edited:
i like frank endicott but for him to say the warriors need to pay gubb what hes worth, then he needs to give himself the sack. you negotiated the contract ya dunce

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We have an option on Vete for 2018. Anyone who thinks we won't exercise it or try to extend his contract has rocks in their head.

Gubb on the other hand I expect to leave at the end of this season.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
i like frank endicott but for him to say the warriors need to pay gubb what hes worth, then he needs to give himself the sack. you negotiated the contract ya dunce

Haha, exactly right. It's a public proclamation that he's rubbish at his job.

Gubb is another in a growing line of players who gets a reputation based on factors that have nothing to do with his playing skills. It's called the Wolfman Theory. If you named players around the league who average less than 8m per carry, don't have a particularly high tackle count and miss a reasonably high percentage of those, you'd probably get the likes of James Hasson and these sort of blokes. But James Hasson looks like any other footballer, whilst Charlie Gubb has a Thor haircut. And apparently is worth $250-300k on the open market, even to the premiers. Weird world we live in.

And yeah, we're keeping Vete. He's still raw, but if he gets the right coaching (big if) he'll be a good consistent NRL prop. Already his attitude is right, it's just his defensive technique and the way he hits the line with that awful leading shoulder that can be fixed up. I like him and hope he sticks with us.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I honestly don't get how the past two premiers can be allegedly so interested in him. But hey, we'll do a swap. Gubb for Hess, same position same amount of letters, easily logistically done.

ozenzud

Juniors
So you experts think we don't want any players out there going 100% and playing with every bit of passion and fire they can muster, every game. Thats what Charlie does and thats what he offers.

There are players who can bend the line and show more flair. But they don't do it all the time. Charlie might do a few low tackles but he doesn't miss many and he works hard to make more that he wouldn't necessarily be expected to.

Go for your flair. Thats worked well for us over the years.

Iafeta

Referee
Were we watching the same team? Charlie Gubbs ankle tap misses cost us a lot of line breaks and inevitably tries. He comes out of the line to create a gap, and then misses. If he does make the tackle he gives up a quick ruck.

Not first grade standard. Nice bloke but just dumb as on the field.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Charlie.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So you experts think we don't want any players out there going 100% and playing with every bit of passion and fire they can muster, every game. Thats what Charlie does and thats what he offers.

There are players who can bend the line and show more flair. But they don't do it all the time. Charlie might do a few low tackles but he doesn't miss many and he works hard to make more that he wouldn't necessarily be expected to.

Go for your flair. Thats worked well for us over the years.

I'd offer that too.

Course we want commitment. We also want impact. Charlie offers almost zero. Jaseg suggests he does miss many (and I've seen them, watch his cameo v the Dogs at Wellington for his three on our line in almost a minute special) and no, his tackles per minute made is not high either.

Every game I've ever watched, every stat I've ever seen, suggests Charlie offers nothing to our side other than being a NSW Cup journeyman who gets near the side when we're in nothing less than dire need. But he was a semi-regular in 2016. He held back Sipley last year (or more to the point, the Stupor Coach did).