What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charter trains to home games - what do you think?

Stuart Midgley

Juniors
The Rabbitoh's organised a charter train to Olympic Park from Central and Redfern for the Charity Shield two weeks ago and it got me thinking - what would be the possibility of St George chartering trains to take St George area members to Wollongong for home games and vice-versa?

I'm a 6-game ticketed member at Kogarah and I'd like to go to the games at Wollongong but the drive is a major pain in every respect, and I'm sure a lot of Wollongong members feel the same about coming to Kogarah.

Scheduled trains are almost as bad - they take forever (up to 2 hours) because they stop at every little station, they are infrequent outside of peak hour and they are another cash expense to have to fork out on the day. And even worse, you have to change at Hurstville to catch a south coast train if heading to the Illawarra, or likewise to get a local that stops at Kogarah or Carlton if coming up from Wollongong.

The thing is this however: express trains from Wollongong to Hurstville (there are some during weekday peak hours) only take 1hr 6min in the current Cityrail timetable - and they still stop at some stations that a special would power straight past. A special should be able to do the trip in just over an hour.

Here's my thoughts:

- St George charter a train for each home match.

- The train picks up at a few locations at the start of the journey and then runs express to the destination.

- Trains to Kogarah games pick up at maybe 4 stops, just north and south of Wollongong Station (and at Wollongong itself, of course) and then make a non-stop run to Carlton. Trains to Wollongong games pick up at Central, Redfern, Rockdale, Kogarah, Carlton, Allawah, Hurstville, Sutherland and then non-stop to Wollongong.

- Return train leaves either Carlton or Wollongong a set amount of time after the match, sufficient for people to walk to the station even if the game goes into extra time. Appropriate timings can be worked out.

- Most important: train transport to the games is offered as an optional purchase with your annual ticket purchase.

If the train travel option is offered as a part of the annual purchase subscription the club will have the number of patrons and the money to pay for the charter banked in advance, which takes out the risk.

By offering the train travel as part of the annual ticket subscription members would know they don't have to worry about paying for transportation on the day. It's just turn up, show your members ticket and on you go.

It gives supporters an easy, quick, painless way to get to the home games at the other stadium from where they live. It would be especially attractive to families who wouldn't have to shove 4 kids in the car for 2 hours.

It would be a 'Saints' train which families might like more.

And, because it's a Saints train, the club could have reps walk through the train selling things - they've got an hour to offer raffle tickets, supporters gear, family day sign-ups, etc. Big Dell could even ride the train once or twice as part of his members ambassadorship.

Most supporters can walk from the station to the stadiums at both ends, while people with disability problems could register that fact when they buy their season tickets and the club can use the shuttle buses for those members who have advised that they can't make the walk. (Much like they do now, as I understand).

CityRail outer suburban sets seat from just over 400 people on a 4-car to over 800 on an 8-car, so the club should be able to deal with a range of subscribers.

Questions:

Please, what does everyone think? Could it be done? What would be the problems? Does anyone know the costs of train charter, or work for Cityrail and can advise of the intricacies of doing this?

Is this a good idea or a clanger?

Last edited:

Saintsman

Juniors
I love the idea. I'm also a 6 game member at Kogragh. The lack of trains on the way home from Wollongong is the main reason I don't go to those games (Well, I want to go anyway, just my parents dont fancy sitting at the station, late at night, for over an hour sometimes, before having to switch trains as well etc.)

Stuart Midgley

Juniors
Viability will almost totally depend on two things - what the charter costs and how many people will sign up.

I'll try and find out the cost this week - I'll give the Souths office a call tomorrow and ask how they organised theirs, and also try and find the right department in CityRail to ask. It would be a bonus if anyone here has experience in chartering trains.

More importantly, how many people here would sign up? If only 3 people here say they'd be up for it, then that's probably an indication that it wouldn't work. But if 30 or 40 people say 'I'd be up for that' then it might be worth pursuing.

If it is to work we'll have to nail down the costs, list the jobs that would need doing, get evidence of the likely member take-up and then take it to the club and argue that case.

If we do get to that last step then there has to be a solid, hard-nosed business case. There's no point doing it at a loss - that path leads to Toyota Stadium.

Last edited:

Bath's Babes

Juniors
That's heaps good. I'm moving to Wollongong on a permanent basis soon, and this way I'd be able to get to Kogarah games and back much easier.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In Queensland, when you buy a ticket to an NRL match, you get free train travel on game day.

The footy train. The government comes to the party.

Very straight forward and simple.

Last edited:

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
The idea has merit and is viable , say for example one train commuting from the Gong to Saint George , leaves the match 40mins after no stops, needs to have no less then 500?people , it can be included as part of your season ticket,they will only move forward with this though if they meet certain number criteria to meet the costs.
Fantastic idea champ

RedVDave

First Grade
The Rabbitoh's organised a charter train to Olympic Park from Central and Redfern for the Charity Shield two weeks ago and it got me thinking - what would be the possibility of St George chartering trains to take St George area members to Wollongong for home games and vice-versa?

I'm a 6-game ticketed member at Kogarah and I'd like to go to the games at Wollongong but the drive is a major pain in every respect, and I'm sure a lot of Wollongong members feel the same about coming to Kogarah.

Scheduled trains are almost as bad - they take forever (up to 2 hours) because they stop at every little station, they are infrequent outside of peak hour and they are another cash expense to have to fork out on the day. And even worse, you have to change at Hurstville to catch a south coast train if heading to the Illawarra, or likewise to get a local that stops at Kogarah or Carlton if coming up from Wollongong.

The thing is this however: express trains from Wollongong to Hurstville (there are some during weekday peak hours) only take 1hr 6min in the current Cityrail timetable - and they still stop at some stations that a special would power straight past. A special should be able to do the trip in just over an hour.

Here's my thoughts:

- St George charter a train for each home match.

- The train picks up at a few locations at the start of the journey and then runs express to the destination.

- Trains to Kogarah games pick up at maybe 4 stops, just north and south of Wollongong Station (and at Wollongong itself, of course) and then make a non-stop run to Carlton. Trains to Wollongong games pick up at Central, Redfern, Rockdale, Kogarah, Carlton, Allawah, Hurstville, Sutherland and then non-stop to Wollongong.

- Return train leaves either Carlton or Wollongong a set amount of time after the match, sufficient for people to walk to the station even if the game goes into extra time. Appropriate timings can be worked out.

- Most important: train transport to the games is offered as an optional purchase with your annual ticket purchase.

If the train travel option is offered as a part of the annual purchase subscription the club will have the number of patrons and the money to pay for the charter banked in advance, which takes out the risk.

By offering the train travel as part of the annual ticket subscription members would know they don't have to worry about paying for transportation on the day. It's just turn up, show your members ticket and on you go.

It gives supporters an easy, quick, painless way to get to the home games at the other stadium from where they live. It would be especially attractive to families who wouldn't have to shove 4 kids in the car for 2 hours.

It would be a 'Saints' train which families might like more.

And, because it's a Saints train, the club could have reps walk through the train selling things - they've got an hour to offer raffle tickets, supporters gear, family day sign-ups, etc. Big Dell could even ride the train once or twice as part of his members ambassadorship.

Most supporters can walk from the station to the stadiums at both ends, while people with disability problems could register that fact when they buy their season tickets and the club can use the shuttle buses for those members who have advised that they can't make the walk. (Much like they do now, as I understand).

CityRail outer suburban sets seat from just over 400 people on a 4-car to over 800 on an 8-car, so the club should be able to deal with a range of subscribers.

Questions:

Please, what does everyone think? Could it be done? What would be the problems? Does anyone know the costs of train charter, or work for Cityrail and can advise of the intricacies of doing this?

Is this a good idea or a clanger?

Make this man our CEO now!

Stuart Midgley

Juniors
I've just realised Cityrail can (and do sometimes) run the V sets right down to 2 car sets, as well as the regular 4, 6 and 8 car sets.

Both classes average 100-110 seats per carriage, so anything between 200 and 800 passengers should be doable

Last edited:

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Peter Doust walked right past me when I was waiting to enter Friday's game with a heap of others. He was with two old men who seemed familiar, probably ex-players.

Stuart Midgley

Juniors
V sets carry about 150 a carriage, they are larger than the others.

I thought so too but Wikipedia says:

96 seated (driver cars)
112 seated (trailer cars)

192 in 2 car set
304 in 3 car set
416 in 4 car set

They only seat 4 across where suburban sets seat 5, and they have long entry areas. FWIW.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's really should be an NRL and state govt issue.

But it seems to me that the best approach is to get the Railways on board. It's a contra/sponsorship deal of some sort in Qld. Cross promotion that works well for the League and Rail.

Perhaps NSW Rail aren't as forthcoming as Qld Rail.

Great idea, but I'd be ringing Souths to find out what sort of pitfalls they encountered along the way.

Doug2234

First Grade
The club organises buses between both home grounds, whats the difference???

Probably cheaper and easier on the buses as well.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
f**k that trains are for the transportation of peasants. We are Dragon supporters stretched limos all round....If you please

big pat

Coach
i'm surprised no one has mention, some nrl fans allegedly smashed lights on the train from syd olympic park on saturday night,returning from the bulldogs and knights game, one teen was charged after he assulted a male officer.