What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase Stanley

watatank

Coach
Interesting...I always thought that he was a long term back row option and Bennett would see to it he played there...but it seems that he's going to play centre.

What needs to happen IMO is that he has an extended run whatever position he plays, as long as he's not switching between back row and centre too often, in the way Creagh was brought through. It's what killed his development last year.

In terms of his defence, the problem is not his tackle technique, it's more his positioning which he does need to work on (part of the reason I think he would make a quality back rower), although I think he will come good.

Last edited:

Surfclub Saint

Juniors
How long before they consider Cooper as a back rower or lock? He is a great defender and would make our back row sensational!

watatank

Coach
Brown considered it a while back, but Cooper never played there. I think that ship sailed long ago, he's also a brilliant centre, particularly in defence...nothing gets past him in Origin!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
How long before they consider Cooper as a back rower or lock? He is a great defender and would make our back row sensational!

Sure.

But why would you move the worlds best defensive centre & a bloke who is still easily in the top 4 centres, overall, in the game, out of position?

dubopov

Coach

Why is there seemingly an obsession with turning centres/wingers into backrowers ?? Cooper is one of the best centres in Australia, why put him in the forwards ??? Stanley is a centre/winger, use him there. Just because someone is big and strong doesn't mean they're forwards. Are the Donkeys going to use Folau as a second rower ?? Of course not.

rushndude

Bench
Exactly. So long as he is still performing like he is at centre, i dont think he should be changed. Besides we already have a pretty damn good backrow with a number of players competing for spots.

watatank

Coach
Stanley is a centre/winger, use him there. Just because someone is big and strong doesn't mean they're forwards. Are the Donkeys going to use Folau as a second rower ?? Of course not.

Why don't you think he will ever be a back rower? He runs like a forward every time he runs the ball, particularly on kick returns (but that's not what the opinion is based on), he has the ability to offload or play before the line in traffic and he is far more comfortable defending there than he is in the centres.

boxa777

Coach
In terms of his defence, the problem is not his tackle technique, it's more his positioning which he does need to work on (part of the reason I think he would make a quality back rower), although I think he will come good.

Yeh that's probably the most important part for him, his defence at centre. I saw Wesser stand him up in that WC game against the Indigenous team. He plants his feet and cannot recover. Hopefully Bennett is on top of that aspect. He can make tackles.

I don't think turning Cooper into a centre is very wise. He may run like a backrower but we aren't exactly choc full of quality in the centres at the moment and with Cooper there on the left, there isn't much to worry about.

watatank

Coach
I also tend to think he is not used to defending against top class centres either ...the only real time he would have defended therewas schoolboy footy and he dominated that level...he would probably just rush up and smash the opposing player and that's all he would need... every other time he has been playing in the back row until he got to NRL. NRL is obviously a class above, but I'm sure he can learn at adapt better

Last edited:

Cooper-Man

Bench
i saw him the other day as well - not sure if "cut up" is the right way to describe it, more like grown up and lost a lot of the puppy fat...
after all he is just a kid.
either way - in another year or two he will have a good build for a first grade lock forward provided he improves his defense. he isnt quick enough to be a top center.

Thanks. Mr Red has spoken.

Wicks

Juniors
Why is there seemingly an obsession with turning centres/wingers into backrowers ?? Cooper is one of the best centres in Australia, why put him in the forwards ??? Stanley is a centre/winger, use him there. Just because someone is big and strong doesn't mean they're forwards. Are the Donkeys going to use Folau as a second rower ?? Of course not.

Many of the best backrowers start as backs

Stanley spent as much time in the forwards as in the backs in the juniors

Folau will eventually play in the backrow He has said so himself and he hasnt even played there before

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Creagh started on the Wing from memory now look how well he is going in the back row. Chase certainly has the size to play in the backrow.

RedVGooner

Juniors
i remember when Creagh had his first game i think against the Warriors, didnt have the best match but he has become a important player for us

Changa

Juniors
If its a mobile pack we're after I'd like to see J Smith play in the front row, he is more than tough enough and handled himself (as well as the aussies) very well in the WC final in the middle. His line breaking ability may suffer if played in the front row but I can see him playing a similar role to that which Laffranchi played for the tigers in 05'.

8 Poore 9 Priddis 10 Smith
11 Costigan 12 Creagh
13 Young

petetheileet

First Grade
Stanley needs more speed off the line and needs to develop a few more skills if he is gna take a center spot from Boyd

Rodent

Bench
Chase has only played twice this season and I don't think it is just coincidence that they are the only 2 games we've lost. It will be interesting to see if he gets a call up again considering we will almost certainly be missing a few blokes v the cowboys. If he does get a chance, it might just be his last so I hope he can lift to the standard required, particularly in defence.

Latest posts