What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choice of Opponent in Prelim Final

hellteam

First Grade
Not sure if they still do this in the Super League but I remember reading about it in the past.

The idea is that the highest ranked team in the preliminary finals (this year Rabbitohs) gets to choose their opponent that weekend. Meaning they would pick the team I guess they feel less threatened by.

I'm a huge fan of the idea. It doesn't vary much at all from the current structure of the 8, and really I can only see positives. Much more media coverage, could have TV shows covering it, would be talked about it for weeks in advance.

This has probably been discussed here before but thought it might be an interesting time to bring it up, see who agreed, and predict who you think the Rabbits would pick out of the teams playing this weekend.

Danish

Referee
You couldn't actually talk about it for weeks in advance since the highest ranked team wouldn't even know that they were going to be in that position until after Week 1, and then they wouldn't know who they had to choose from until after the week 2 games were completed... mind you I still don't mind the idea at all as it would most likely lead to the the highest ranked teams meeting in the grand final more often.

There is also the obvious psychological benefit for the team that was dodged should they progress to the grand final, knowing that their opponents fear them.

Then of course there is also the chance for great LOLs when a team selects an "easy beat" and loses.

Honestly I'm not seeing what argument could be made against it were it to be introduced, outside of the fact most clubs would probably just wind up selecting the team they were going to play under the current system anyway to ensure they don't look scared of anyone.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I would like it even though it could be a bit of a poisoned chalice. Giving the team you pick extra motivation. But it would be good if you know a team has won in week 2 but have been smashed injuries and/or suspensions.

maple_69

Bench
So this year we could have the absolute dream match ups of Souths/Manly and Penrith/Easts. Would be dumb.

If you wanted to get into silly stuff it would be too 2 choose their week 1 opponent.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Gimmick idea
Just like magic weekend

Artificially trying to create interest in a dominated sport

Remember SL in UK is basically 1% interest of EPL

We might not be the most popular sport in all of aust

But we ain't that desperate

Game_Breaker

Coach
So this year we could have the absolute dream match ups of Souths/Manly and Penrith/Easts. Would be dumb.

If you wanted to get into silly stuff it would be too 2 choose their week 1 opponent.

I initially like the idea, but now that you mentioned that you'll end up playing the same team you beat in week 1.

The draw is designed so it's impossible for week 1 opponents to face each other again until they both make the GF

Big Sam

First Grade
I think in the SL the team with the pick usually ends up selecting the club they would normally play in their finals structure just so they don't risk firing up a lower ranked opponent.

FTR I'd still take one of Easts/NQ.

WireMan

Bench
Its a stupid idea and no one likes it.

It is around this year, but is out next year with the new structure.

WireMan

Bench
Gimmick idea
Just like magic weekend

Artificially trying to create interest in a dominated sport

Remember SL in UK is basically 1% interest of EPL

We might not be the most popular sport in all of aust

But we ain't that desperate

What is the problem with artificially creating interest?

SOO is just to artificially create interest in a regional sport.

Valheru

Coach
It’s an ok idea. I reckon Souffs would choose whoever wins out of Dogs/Manly this week but then again maybe not.

I reckon it could be better served in week 1 with teams 1 and 5 choosing their opponents.

Game_Breaker

Coach
It’s an ok idea. I reckon Souffs would choose whoever wins out of Dogs/Manly this week but then again maybe not.

I reckon it could be better served in week 1 with teams 1 and 5 choosing their opponents.

Hmm, choosing in wk 1 isn't a bad idea.
Also team 2 and 6 can choose whoever is left.
Its also possible for a "home" team like Manly to place their preference to a non-Sydney team so their "home" final doesn't feel like an away match

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
Silly idea. Just play who has earned the right to play in the preliminary final. You want to beat the best possible competition to gain momentum and confidence into the GF

Lambretta

First Grade
I thought it was an interesting idea initially, but in practice its rather silly

No one likes giving ammunition to other teams to want to beat you and this is what this does.

For the record I'd like to meet the Raiders........ oh whoopps they Ricky'd. I forgot.