What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choice to represent lesser nations

Consideration

Juniors
When a player chooses to represent a lesser nation in an Test Match, that decision should be for life.

Once you pull on another nations jersey by choice, you dont get to wear the Green and Gold. Either back yourself to one day make it or play rep for another nation due to heritage.

Thoughts ?

SP

Bench
I agree

its crap that players who play for nations like Fiji, then they say, oh fiji are shit, i want to be an aussie since they gave my country of birth a 60 odd point flogging while i was playing

But its actually Australia who are pinching them, they took Ricketson (who played for Ireland), El Masri (Lebanon, who was only chosen for his goalkicking) and others too

Im surprised they didnt try to steal Adrian Morley for England, they'll find a way to say he is and Aussie

nqboy

First Grade
I think it's a good thing that players not chosen to represent the big three get the opportunity to represent the lesser nations. They can pass on skills and professionalism to teammates and go some way to lessening mismatches.

Jeffles

Bench
When Ricketson played for Ireland, Mason for Tonga, etc they were told it would not have a bearing on their future chances of representing Australia. I think you'd find that if they were not given the choice (play for one country only) that they'd have stayed home during the 2000 World Cup.

Having said that I am a fan of one country for life (unless you go through some ridiculous residency waiting period of like 5 yrs without rep football to change nations). RL should stop pretending it can get a marvellous 16+ team international structure with all teams competitive. Focus on developing what you have. Avoid these shortsighted and embarrassing moves.

Matt M

Juniors
Australia isn't pinching players, they aren't forcing anybody to play for them, the players want to play for them.

But I agree with the first point, once you choose a team that should be it. I have nothing against the grandparent rule as long as the players stay with the one country.