What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Cairns Retires

Blaze

Juniors
Good decision IMO. Hardly justifies a spot at the moment but he will be missed behind the scenes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's had a great career and will be remmembered as one of the best Kiwi all rounders.

Great career :clap:

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
He's had a great career and will be remmembered as one of the best Kiwi all rounders.

Great career :clap:

he's a giant twat!!

But, he should be remembered as one of the world's better all-rounders.

Chondricthyes

Juniors
Very talented sportsman.

Very good career.

we certainly haven't heard the last of him. He has impressed me heaps with his thoughtful and well spoken comments.

JJ

Immortal
Chondricthyes said:
we certainly haven't heard the last of him. He has impressed me heaps with his thoughtful and well spoken comments.

you're not hard to impress then :p

I've always thought he modelled himself on that movie Zoolander - he has a "thoughtful" look, a "concerned" look, a whole repertoire in fact.

People outside NZ should read Glenn Turner's account of Cairns and Parore's behaviour, and to be far Parore's counter argument - no doubt Cairns will have a ghost written account at some stage too

ozbash

Referee
read Glenn Turner's account :roll:

well there goes any credibility you started off with jj.

chris had very big boots to fill, he started off in his old mans huge shadow but soon established his own reputation as a classy all rounder.

to be honest, when i heard the news i thought 'about bloody time cairnsey' .
he should have pulled the pin pre-fudge :lol:

Chondricthyes

Juniors
JJ said:
you're not hard to impress then :p

I've always thought he modelled himself on that movie Zoolander - he has a "thoughtful" look, a "concerned" look, a whole repertoire in fact.

People outside NZ should read Glenn Turner's account of Cairns and Parore's behaviour, and to be far Parore's counter argument - no doubt Cairns will have a ghost written account at some stage too

Most players(Ponting-Bourbon &Beefsteak) have had their troubles but the interviews I've seen in the last few years, I thought, were very good.

JJ

Immortal
ozbash said:
read Glenn Turner's account :roll:

well there goes any credibility you started off with jj.

chris had very big boots to fill, he started off in his old mans huge shadow but soon established his own reputation as a classy all rounder.

to be honest, when i heard the news i thought 'about bloody time cairnsey' .
he should have pulled the pin pre-fudge :lol:

1. Why does taking account of Glenn Turner - one of the most intelligent and thoughtful men to have played and coached cricket for NZ (and let's not forget that he was coach when COney's team was destroying Aust), who IMO has great integrity, also arguably NZ's finest batsman (certainly in the top 4 or so), reduce my credibility. Glenn Turner (with Hadlee) has forgotten more about cricket than almost anyone else in NZ knows.

2. Lance Cairns had a large shadow only because he was a large man, he was only a mediocre test cricketer. The two are not comparable, as I said earlier Chris Cairns is one of the better all-rounders in test cricket history, Lance Cairns was mediocre.

Cairns is a great player, and seems to have grown up somewhat, I'm sure he recognises he could have behaved better. Turner was inflexible for sure, but the fact that he was had a lot to do with why he got the job given the debacle under Howarth

ozbash

Referee
gee your hard to please.

both the cairnseses saved our bacon on more than one occasion.i dont know if you,re old enough to remember lances batting but the guy was awesome when ODI,s first came around. he would probably be rated crap nowadays but he doesnt play nowadays.

they were both from te puke so they are alright by me.

turner was a tyrant, so is sir dick.

JJ

Immortal
lol - well when push comes to shove, I'd sooner have Turner and Hadlee in my team than the Cairn's. Yes I know they're from Te Puke, and that probably counts in their favour....

I am old enough to remember Lance Cairn's batting - I also remember that he was a bowler first and foremost that was pretty effective when conditions suited. As a batsman, you're judging him on a few innings - he was a genuine tail-ender, but I'd put money on him hitting a cricket ball further than anyone I've ever seen (given the same equipment) - bottom line is that unless it was a mediocre off spinner bowling, he didn;t do it often - and one innings in a lost cause at Melbourne doesn;t change that, it wasn't often that he succeeded against fast bowling...

But on Chris Cairns, I agree, he's been a borderline great player by any standards - just a shame that injuries and at times his own petulance both conspired to produce a cricketer that wasn't quite as good as he could have been - IMO he could have been the equal of the likes of Botham and Kapil Dev if he'd had fewer injuries and been a little less emotional

ozbash

Referee
good boy jj :p

i like it when you see reason.

turner was a good coach, just cant stand him as a person.

JJ

Immortal
ozbash said:
good boy jj :p

i like it when you see reason.

turner was a good coach, just cant stand him as a person.

and Chris Cairns a good player, just can't stand him as a person :p

JoeD

First Grade
Its a shame, I thnk he could have helped us at the WC
Hardly justifies a spot at the moment
Probabaly could have been justified solely as a middle order batsmen. Hell the way our openers have been going stick him in there and tell him to go hard in the first 10 overs.

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
I wonder if he'll be coaching the Kiwis soon

I would doubt it -

First - he's too busy making fudge, and I think he has a lucrative UK cricket deal

Second - he's not the greatest thinker... as an example, when Turner was coach, Cairns adopted an unusual stance at the batting crease (if you saw it, you'll remember), he had his very splayed very very wide and crouched somewhat. When he was asked about it, he replied along the lines that he had observed that many of the greatest batsmen (e.g., Bradman, Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Border etc) had been quite short (ignoring of course that many had been average to tall), and he figure if he lowered his eye level to where theirs were, he would have a big advantage... :?

this among many more petulant acts frustrated the hell out of Turner (who knows quite a lot about the science/art of batting)

JJ said:
I would doubt it -

First - he's too busy making fudge, and I think he has a lucrative UK cricket deal

Second - he's not the greatest thinker... as an example, when Turner was coach, Cairns adopted an unusual stance at the batting crease (if you saw it, you'll remember), he had his very splayed very very wide and crouched somewhat. When he was asked about it, he replied along the lines that he had observed that many of the greatest batsmen (e.g., Bradman, Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Border etc) had been quite short (ignoring of course that many had been average to tall), and he figure if he lowered his eye level to where theirs were, he would have a big advantage... :?

this among many more petulant acts frustrated the hell out of Turner (who knows quite a lot about the science/art of batting)

:lol: He should make a great coach for the Kiwis then? Maybe he should have bowled with high heels so he could release the ball from the same height as Mcgrath

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
JJ said:
I would doubt it -

then he has a lot in common with your current coach