What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Cairns Retires

Scott

Bench
Iafeta said:
Speaking of the 2003 World Cup, who'll ever forget his run out of Brian Lara from the boundary?

Un-f'n-believable! And a game winning moment (I'm sure we won that one anywaY)

LOL - that was a classic! But also, look at his bowling figures in that same game! I can't remember them exactly, but they were very ugly. He owed the team that run out.

Chris Cairns was a champion. I don't care about his stats! (even though they stacked up) He has been the best all rounder in both forms of the game since the retiement of Botham, Hadlee, Imran and Kapil.

Southern Warrio said:
I think Turner was and still is a very good selector. I just don't know about him as a coach. He had the Otago team for four years and not once did he manages to get them into the top three in either form of the game. But with a rookie coach we have climbed to second in the one day comp with three games to go, in saying that we have added a couple of players that have got us just that level higher in Jonathon trott our overseas pro and Neil Broom.
That happens every year to Otago, they are like the Waratahs of cricket. Although this year might be different with Trott (He's playing great).

JoeD

First Grade
Now to the nitty gritty. Cairns never led the troops out of the trenches to glory. Not the way Sir Richard Hadlee did, not the way Ricky Ponting does, not the way Allan Border saved Australia, not the way Steve Waugh fought to the bitter end, not the way Freddie Flintoff won the Ashes.

Cairns never found enough in either his batting or bowling to consistently lead from the front; to dictate terms when it counted.

Great now and then, he never made New Zealand great. Not even close. And that's the aim of the game.

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10365168

a bit harsh but true all the same.

JJ

Immortal
Scott said:
Chris Cairns was a champion. I don't care about his stats! (even though they stacked up) He has been the best all rounder in both forms of the game since the retiement of Botham, Hadlee, Imran and Kapil.

As a Kiwi, I'd like to agree, but there have been two chaps from South Africa. Kallis and Pollock, who'd figure prominently in that discussion - I think they both suffer a bit because while they're great cricketers, they're not as flamboyant as some (on and off the field)

JJ

Immortal
Quote:
Now to the nitty gritty. Cairns never led the troops out of the trenches to glory. Not the way Sir Richard Hadlee did, not the way Ricky Ponting does, not the way Allan Border saved Australia, not the way Steve Waugh fought to the bitter end, not the way Freddie Flintoff won the Ashes.

Cairns never found enough in either his batting or bowling to consistently lead from the front; to dictate terms when it counted.

Great now and then, he never made New Zealand great. Not even close. And that's the aim of the game.

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/s...jectID=10365168

a bit harsh but true all the same.
First, I'm no Cairns sychophant - BUT

disagree completely

Border didn;t lead Aust anywhere until he had a great supporting cast, and Waugh and Ponting are the same...

I'd have cairns over Flintoff any day..

As for "not leading NZ" - can't give dates, but the test in the UK when he led with both bat and ball (I'm sure THI or someone can nail it), the Champion's trophy are two to start with
As for not

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Maybe calling it one of the most abysmal pieces of journalism ever was a bit rough, but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth when I read it at work the other day (and work is bad enough on its own ffs). Exactly what inspired Rattue to mark Cairns' retirement with a lengthy spiel about how much he hates NZ cricket I'll never know. It made no sense whatsoever, besides being irrelevant and unnecessary.

Iafeta

Referee
Chris Rattue revels in criticising a small, fledgling nation. I'd say if he lived in Australia or the USA he'd consider hanging himself because he wouldn't be able to get himself off over sporting failures the way he can in little old New Zealand. Some of the dribble he's cast off over league in the past has been pretty sickening and uninformed stuff.

Rattue is a master pessimist, from the old English tabloid stock through and through. Success is something he rues, because he doesn't have the ability to convey that nearly as controversially as mediocrity or failure. That, is an asset only the very best journalists have, poor journalists prey for weakness and scrounge off it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Iafeta said:
Chris Rattue revels in criticising a small, fledgling nation. I'd say if he lived in Australia or the USA he'd consider hanging himself because he wouldn't be able to get himself off over sporting failures the way he can in little old New Zealand. Some of the dribble he's cast off over league in the past has been pretty sickening and uninformed stuff.

Rattue is a master pessimist, from the old English tabloid stock through and through. Success is something he rues, because he doesn't have the ability to convey that nearly as controversially as mediocrity or failure. That, is an asset only the very best journalists have, poor journalists prey for weakness and scrounge off it.

Beautifully put.

99% of NZ sports journalists seem to believe that smart-arsed negativity is the same as hardnosed realism. Not just an NZ problem, of course.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I was gutted when i heard about this...just like when i heard about tana:(

Cairnsy is a great player, role model...just great everything:)

Im just gutted that i never got to meet him:cry:

Dan vettori....or Jacob oram will replace him i think......the batting is under control...but the bowling...another seemer....:?

JJ

Immortal
it is intersting that Cairns reached the 3000 runs 200m wickets double so much faster than anyone bar Botham... a very impressive feat!

Cricket: Cairns right up there with the best of' em

By Richard Boock

It might be the end of the line for Chris Cairns the cricketer, but it certainly isn't the end of the debate about where he should stand in the game, and how he should be remembered.

To many, the veteran New Zealand all-rounder was the one of the finest players to grace the cricket field (Shane Warne described him as the best all-rounder in the world); a man who, but for the mortal frailties of his body, could have been one of the best of the best.

Others, including my good mate and colleague Chris Rattue, have bridled at the suggestion, reasoning that Cairns was only useful at hitting the occasional six, never led from the front, usually underwhelmed, and was only an average-sized fish in what was a very small international sport.

Whatever your stance, the debate has been a common theme throughout the 35-year-old's 16-year career - from his 1989 debut in what became New Zealand's own version of Dunkirk, to his tearful retirement this week.

Hardly a season has passed without some sort of controversy involving Cairns, whether it was his epic personality clash with 1995-96 coach Glenn Turner, one of his countless career injuries, or his 3am arrivals at the team hotel during test matches.

There was no doubt he polarised opinions. The idea that someone with so much talent could risk everything through indiscipline was anathema to many, while a good sprinkling of others believed he lacked mental toughness.

The latter accusation sprang from Cairns' injury record, starting from his controversial withdrawal from the team on the morning of the second test at Hobart in 1993, following a change of mind about a bruised heel.

At the time, New Zealand skipper Ken Rutherford and coach Geoff Howarth both made surprisingly cutting comments about his level of commitment, and Cairns said later that he felt his character was being called into question.

From then, Cairns' injury record grew like topsy: stress-fracture problems in his back, intercostal strains, a kidney ailment, torn calf muscles, patella injuries in both knees, ruptured spleen, bone spurs, sacroiliac joint problems, and shoulder, groin and side strains.

A star in the making since his primary school years, his body could simply not keep up with the demands of the modern game, such that, when he pulled the curtain on his test career two years ago, he had played just 62 matches and missed 55.

And this is where it gets interesting. One of only seven players in test cricket history to have scored 3000 runs and taken 200 wickets, Cairns now finds himself being compared with the best all-rounders in the history of the game - a list including Sir Garfield Sobers, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Ian Botham, Sir Richard Hadlee and Shaun Pollock.

And while Rattue might scoff at Cairns being mentioned in the same breath as the others, it's worth remembering that he reached the mark in 58 outings, quicker than any of his fellow club members apart from Botham.

BOTHAM'S 55 tests is the record, followed by Cairns, Kapil (73), Imran (75), Sobers (80), Hadlee (83) and Pollock (87). This suggests Cairns and Botham were by far the most balanced of the great all-rounders. They contributed more equally in each discipline than any of their colleagues, and were of similar valuable to their teammates whether batting or bowling.

Whereas Botham completed the double within 55 tests and Cairns was able to celebrate eclipsing both marks in his 58th, Kapil, Imran, Hadlee and Pollock were predominantly bowlers who batted, and Sobers was a batsman who bowled.

It's not a scientific measure of course, but if Cairns' body had held together long enough for him to have played 100 tests, his figures extrapolate out to something like 5334 runs and 351 wickets - very similar to those of Botham.

Cairns freely admits to his immaturity through the early stages of his career, and his ever-changing hairstyles over the past decade-and-a-half possibly bear testament to the identity crisis he seems to have negotiated.

At times he was virtually impossible to deal with, whether the relationship was with his mother Sue, his father (cricketing folk hero) Lance, his national team coaches, or managers such as Gren Alabaster and John Graham.

Turner was so disturbed about what he described as Cairns' temper tantrums and outbursts during the 1995-96 campaign, that he wrote to then-NZC chief executive Chris Doig and pleaded with him to arrange professional assistance.

Ultimately, Doig decided it was not the mop-topped Cantabrian that had to go but the entrenched Turner, a decision that ushered in the appointment of Australian Steve Rixon as coach, and led directly to Cairns' revival.

From then on, New Zealand's most balanced all-rounder seemed to thrive (apart from when he was injured), and began stringing together some of his best performances at home and abroad.

Critics claim he never led from the front. Really? History insists that he did just that on the 1999 tour of England, when his 6-77 broke the back of the hosts' first innings batting, leading to New Zealand's first test victory at Lord's.

And he was in a similar mood in the deciding fourth test at the Oval, his five wicket bag and whirlwind 80 off 93 balls rescuing his side from almost certain defeat, resulting in him being named both Man of the Match and Man of the Series.

And wasn't it Cairns who reversed the trend against the West Indies at Hamilton the following season, bouncing back with a match-winning seven wicket bag after Brian Lara's side had gone to stumps on the first day at 276 for one?

There were similar feats performed in the shorter game as well, among them Cairns' match-winning 102 not out against South Africa in the 2002 VB Series, his equally impressive and decisive unbeaten 102 in the 2000 Champions Trophy, and his blazing century against India at Christchurch in 1999 - at the time the fifth fastest on record. "What's the Champions Trophy again," asks my cobber. Well, it mightn't be the World Cup, but it's still the only international tournament title New Zealand's ever won, and the only reason we did is because of Cairns. As for him being a minnow in what is a "very small international sport", I can only assume that this was a leg-pull, or that someone had forgotten to factor in the 1.5 billion sub-continental Asians who consider the game their religion.

Outside soccer or basketball, cricket would be among the most international of team sports; far bigger, wealthier, and involving more participants than rugby, league, Aussie rules and American football put together.

Viewed in this context, and not forgetting the 129 years of history that judges him, Cairns possibly deserves a bit more than being described as an also-ran to Sir Richard Hadlee.

He was, and should be remembered as, one of the game's best all-rounders.