What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Walker did the right thing by leaving Souths.

Wow, I found a positive aspect of Souths Management.

They sign their celebrated "Star Recruit" in Chris Walker. Let him go mid-season. Payout most of his 1st years contract and they defelect all critisim on Walker.

Now if they could only work that in reverese as in signing a promising player, retain him & develop him it might actually help the team.

Rustay

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Big Bunny said:
Cogburn, I agree. Walker did the right thing.

His leaving Souths did the club a favour. Having Walker stay would have been a far greater shame and no fan deserves to see a player dogging it. If the bloke had no idea that Souths might have been in for an ordinary season then he is a bigger idiot than anyone gives him credit for. Put simply, Chris Walker was looking for an easy ride and made the wrong choice. He is afraid of hard work and in a class team like the Roosters was exposed when they needed his raw talent the most. There is no denying he does have talent, but without the brains or integrity to accompany it he is nothing.

Easy ride? afraid of hard work? Easts are the fittest team in the comp! You won't find any Mars bar loving fatties in the Roosters team! :lol: Walker will have to work 20 times harder at the Roosters than at Souths. You just don't get it do you. When he arrived at Easts he was so out of condition it wasn't funny. It was Ron Palmer and Craig Walker who got him fit through a lot of hard work, something he hadn't experienced at Souths. That's why Easts are up the top and Souths are down the bottom!

Easy ride? afraid of hard work? Easts are the fittest team in the comp! You won't find any Mars bar loving fatties in the Roosters team!

Easts looked pretty stale in the GF....where it mattered most.....i say Penrith are the fittest side as they ran the Roosters of the park in the second half.

You will find most sides don't feature "Mars bar loving fatties " in there sides.....those times are gone!!

Mars bars are actually not a bad supplement for sport's men though ;-)

They do help you work, rest and play.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Scenario 1. Walker stays with Souths. He plays in a team that gets flogged nearly every week and will eventually win 3 consecutive wooden spoons, he also gets to play under 2 or 3 coaches in that time, His rep career is as good as over.
Scenario 2. Walker walks away from a $300,000 a year contract because he wants to play for a strong, disciplined club so that he can further his career. He gets to play under the best coach in NRL. He has a great chance of getting back into the QLD SOO team and also greatly enhances his chance of playing for Australia. He also has a great chance to play with a premiership winning team. His improvement since joining Easts was very obvious. In his short stint at the Roosters he has scored 10 tries and has already played in a grand final and the icing on the cake was a further 2 year contract with the Mighty Roosters. His prospects over the next 2 seasons are huge. The sky's the limit. Walker has already had the last laugh.
I'd say Walker made the right decision to join the Roosters, wouldn't you! :lol:

Whatever :roll:

JJ

Immortal
1. Walker was awful in the Grand Final - his defence was abysmal, and was exploited nicely by Penrith. He has something to offer in attack, but his defence is poor - end of story.
2. Good players can make rep sides from poor teams - Bryan Fletcher clearly deserved his spot this year, I won't use the Cronulla example, as there is surely some nepotism there, but Ryan Girlder was a rep regular when Penrith were struggling.

Also, the criticism of Langmack is not warranted. I doubt that anyone could have coached Souths to a position other than last this year. He was a fine player, and his tactical expertise was obvious when he played - given a better squad, I'm sure he can do better - I just hope he's given the chance.

I'm not bagging ricky Stuart, who is clearly a good coach (the same would apply to Mick Hagan) - but when you have a good set of forwards, and a great playmaker, coaching is a lot easier!!! - Remember Graham Lowe with Queensland (they did better when he was in hospital) and Wigan (any of us could have coached that side to win in the UK)

JJ said:
Also, the criticism of Langmack is not warranted. I doubt that anyone could have coached Souths to a position other than last this year. He was a fine player, and his tactical expertise was obvious when he played - given a better squad, I'm sure he can do better - I just hope he's given the chance.
I would have to disagree on this one.

1) On paper, Souths had a competitive team this season. Certainly not worthy of the wooden spoon. Heck, on paper you would think the Cowboys would have won the spoon.

2) Souths have at their roster Willie Peters & Luke Branigan. These were said to be "next best thing" some seasons ago. Where were they? Peters had a handful of games but what of Branigan? Instead Langmack chose to play Harrison & Walker at half.

3) Paul Stringer, One of their best players along side Fletch. Made his feelings felt and gave an insight as to whats happening internally.

4) Persistence with Owen Cragie. The guy is out his depth with the players this season. They could have done with blooding a PL player.

5) Nathan Merrit. Thier most promising youngster decides to leave. Surely as a coach you would have a strong influence on younger players. Especially up comming youngsters.

Woods

Juniors
The one thing noone seems to have mentioned is that to gain his release Walker told Souths he was going to retire, then turned around a day later and had his manager shop him to other clubs then sign with the Roosters less than a week later. That was pathetic. Walker deserves 2 more years of pain and suffering for his behaviour

antonius

Coach
JJ said:
IMO Paul Langmack will only ever be a run of the mill coach. In fact Souths would be a lot better off chasing a decent coach than spending ridiculous amounts of money on players that have left their best years behind them. In Walkers case when Souths played the Knights at EAS last season, it was clear Langmack had no control over Walker at all, Fletcher spent the entire game going off at Walker for playing out of position, and consiquently missing tackles, any firm coach would have pulled him off, but not Langmack, he just sat and watched on. Walker did Souths a favour leaving he was out of control there. Stuart on the other hand would have laid the ground rules from day one with him, and to some extent it worked. Mind you I'm glad he didn't come and play with us.

alive103

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
JJ said:
I would have to disagree on this one.

1) On paper, Souths had a competitive team this season. Certainly not worthy of the wooden spoon. Heck, on paper you would think the Cowboys would have won the spoon.

2) Souths have at their roster Willie Peters & Luke Branigan. These were said to be "next best thing" some seasons ago. Where were they? Peters had a handful of games but what of Branigan? Instead Langmack chose to play Harrison & Walker at half.

3) Paul Stringer, One of their best players along side Fletch. Made his feelings felt and gave an insight as to whats happening internally.

4) Persistence with Owen Cragie. The guy is out his depth with the players this season. They could have done with blooding a PL player.

5) Nathan Merrit. Thier most promising youngster decides to leave. Surely as a coach you would have a strong influence on younger players. Especially up comming youngsters.

Souths half back is the Saints reject lounge. Willie Peters, as much as he was courageous for Saints did not provide the answer we were after to complement Barrett. Dean Byrne would have had his spot in 2002 if not for injury and Luke Brangihan is just a sook. Went to Cronulla to play five eighth and now is in reggies at Souths playing half back when he possibly still could have been Saints half back today.

I agree with you on Craigie. He is overweight for first grade and I have spoken to some Souths supporters who still maintain he is their best player. That is not a good sign.

Merritt.... he went to the Scum. It's his choice. Hope he enjoys the visit to Kogarah every year.

Justin Smith has the potential to play State of Origin and the worst decision he made in his career was go to Souths. Money was the deciding factor but you could see him developing into a top line player when he left Saints and Souths are wasting him.

Fletcher puts in every week so I don't hate him as much I did when he was at the Roosters.

As for Chris Walker..... well he is just a sook. Afraid to do the hard work necessary to lift a club and would rather take the easy ride in a team of superstars. He will always be remembered for what he did to Souths, just as Saints remember what Tallis did to us. I respect Tallis as a footballer but I never will respect Chris Walker as a footballer or a man.

Woods said:
The one thing noone seems to have mentioned is that to gain his release Walker told Souths he was going to retire, then turned around a day later and had his manager shop him to other clubs then sign with the Roosters less than a week later. That was pathetic. Walker deserves 2 more years of pain and suffering for his behaviour
Put yourself in Tapp's shoes and tell me you would beleive that. Walker is his mid-20's with no dibilitating injuries. You honestly believe that?

JJ

Immortal
A few seem to disagree on Langmack - fair enough.

But, I think the Cowboys had a much stronger squad than the Rabbitohs this year, and if they keep developing will not be far off the semis - they continue to make smart signings - Rauhihi, Campion, Norton etc, and develop players Hannay et al.

2. Willie Peters may have been touted as the next big thing, so what??? It's clear he's not!!! He's done bugger all in first grade. Many players have been described as the next big thing (for a while, Parra had a new Peter Sterling every year, young batsmen are often described as the next Bradman, Chappell, Harvey or Walters) - but when they consistently fail, they lose that tag. Willie Peters is not fit to tie the laces of Orford, Firman, Sherwin, and Jones!!

antonius

Coach
Just on Langmack, it'll be interesting to see how he handles Macdougall next season, he is another bloke with a mind of his own and tends to want to do his own thing, he will want to dictate his own terms to Langmack, lets see if he's allowed to. I'll predict Doogs is their next disaster in waiting.

antonius said:
Just on Langmack, it'll be interesting to see how he handles Macdougall next season, he is another bloke with a mind of his own and tends to want to do his own thing, he will want to dictate his own terms to Langmack, lets see if he's allowed to. I'll predict Doogs is their next disaster in waiting.
He'll have to take a number. Stringer & Hill are in the running as well.

bartman

Immortal
alive103 said:
As for Chris Walker..... well he is just a sook. Afraid to do the hard work necessary to lift a club and would rather take the easy ride in a team of superstars. He will always be remembered for what he did to Souths, just as Saints remember what Tallis did to us. I respect Tallis as a footballer but I never will respect Chris Walker as a footballer or a man.

Yeah, this just about sums up where I'm coming from.

Walker will never play for Australia, let's get that straight for starters.

And are we to believe that the same person linked to a first point-scorer betting scam makes his life decisions based on his serious commitment to footy and a desire to improve himself? For him it's all about image...

Let's face it, his attacking flair wasn't really helping Souths at all, and his defensive and positional lapses were there for all to see. I think he just couldn't hack getting beat week in week out, and wanted to be surrounded by a "winning" team so that he looked like he was playing better.

JJ

Immortal
he might play for Australia if he sleeps with Anderson :lol: :lol: :lol:

or marries into the family

Woods

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Woods said:
Put yourself in Tapp's shoes and tell me you would beleive that. Walker is his mid-20's with no dibilitating injuries. You honestly believe that?

I'm not saying I'd believe it but I guess it'd depend how well he sold it to you. If he backed it up with stories of all his personal problems he needed to sort out etc etc then maybe you'd take him on his word.

Obviously he's not one to stick by what he says though is he?

I'm not going to say Souths are blameless as I believe they should have told himhe couldn't sign for another NRL club til his Souths contract expired and I belive they were fairly stupid not to do that, however if he sold them on his personal problems and how he would likely retire I find it to be a disgrace that he shoppped himself around a day or so later.

And even more suspicious to me is that his manager said he'd like to go to either the Dogs or the Roosters. Perhaps the Orrs didn't read the papers last year when the Dogs got done for salary cap rorting. How they expected us to pony up the cash for Wanker is beyond me.

I did consider it complete justice that he had a shocker in the Grand Final as all year I told Roostergirl that this wouldn't be a just world if Chris Walker got a premiership for acting like a dickhead :)

TRANSLATION

Juniors
JJ said:
lol
I think he did the right thing, but did the "mighty" Roosters really need him???

He had an outstanding grand final, didn't he? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it was quite fitting that Chris Walker was the major reason why the Roosters Lost the Grand Final. In fact I would say they lost because of him.

KKKKKKKKarma