What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Walker did the right thing by leaving Souths.

Scenario 1. Walker stays with Souths. He plays in a team that gets flogged nearly every week and will eventually win 3 consecutive wooden spoons, he also gets to play under 2 or 3 coaches in that time, His rep career is as good as over.
Scenario 2. Walker walks away from a $300,000 a year contract because he wants to play for a strong, disciplined club so that he can further his career. He gets to play under the best coach in NRL. He has a great chance of getting back into the QLD SOO team and also greatly enhances his chance of playing for Australia. He also has a great chance to play with a premiership winning team. His improvement since joining Easts was very obvious. In his short stint at the Roosters he has scored 10 tries and has already played in a grand final and the icing on the cake was a further 2 year contract with the Mighty Roosters. His prospects over the next 2 seasons are huge. The sky's the limit. Walker has already had the last laugh.
I'd say Walker made the right decision to join the Roosters, wouldn't you! :lol:

JJ

Immortal
lol
I think he did the right thing, but did the "mighty" Roosters really need him???

He had an outstanding grand final, didn't he? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
Walker did the right thing for himself, but did the wrong thing morally. He treated Souths with no respect whether he plays good footy in the future or not, he still deserved criticism for that.

Eels Dude said:
Walker did the right thing for himself, but did the wrong thing morally. He treated Souths with no respect whether he plays good footy in the future or not, he still deserved criticism for that.

He would've done the wrong thing by Souths if he'd stayed there and collected the $300k each year knowing full well that his heart wasn't in it!

JJ said:
lol
I think he did the right thing, but did the "mighty" Roosters really need him???

Being a winger he didn't have many opportunities. He played as well as Miniciello who is the current test winger. I don't think that he deserves to be bagged. Byrne made more errors. Walker's game against Canterbury the week before was exceptional and he showed what he is capable of.

dice

Juniors
JJ said:
lol

Once Hodges got injured we had no choice really. It was either Walker or Eric Grothe. Walker was the lesser of the two evils. The idle scenario would have been Hodges in the centres and Hegarty on the wing.

knights 2004

Juniors
his rep career was over at souths coz he was playing crap. a good player in a crap team can still make rep sides, brian fletcher for example. Chris Walker is a dog for not wanting to do the hard yards. he abandoned the team coz things werent going his way. a truly good player is a player who can play well in bad situations, walker seems to only play well when he is with a team that makes him look good. he dogged souths coz hes scared of hard work. no respect. i admire brian flether for putting in the hard yards every week.

It's no different than leaving a job you hate and taking less money to work in a better environment. All the hypocritical morons criticise Walker and yet if they were put in the same situation you can bet that they would up and leave.

Front-Rower

First Grade
He must of known when he first signed the contract with Souths though that they would struggle. There was no loyalty in his decision.

What would happen if the Roosters were getting smahed every week and Brad Fittler wanted to go play for the strongest team in the competition you guys would be screaming foul big time.

Front-Rower said:
He must of known when he first signed the contract with Souths though that they would struggle. There was no loyalty in his decision.

What would happen if the Roosters were getting smahed every week and Brad Fittler wanted to go play for the strongest team in the competition you guys would be screaming foul big time.

It wasn't because Souths were struggling. It was the fact that they are a pathetic club who are run by a two bit board and coached by a bloke who couldn't coach to save his life and then they sacked him and hired a bloke who used to go by the name Yesterday's hero! Poor Chris Walker didn't know what he was getting himself into when he signed with Souths. :lol:

I don't think Walker's morality should even be considered. Business ethics? Maybe, but then again Souths released him. It's not as if he just upped and left without telling anyone.

Walkers biggest mistake, or might even be his manager, is to sign with the Bunnies in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with a person looking after his own interest. Ask yourself this...

If someone offered you a contract for 3 years to work on an oil rig and you agreed. Knowing full well that you have never worked on an offshore Oil rig before you ask for an exit clause and they agreed. Three months pass and your not happy stuck in an oil rig, the company is falling apart, your not learning anything new and the rig is about to crash into the deep blue sea. Would you be tempted to exercise your exit clause? Or would you hand your fate over to the people running the business from the safety of their offices?

If I was the employer and the person was an important part of the business, I would do everything in order to make the person stay.

The way I saw it, Walker & Souths solved the matter amicably. There were no pending litigation that I know of and Souths were happy to release him.

So unless I'm missing something here, I can't see a problem.

Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I don't think Walker's morality should even be considered. Business ethics? Maybe, but then again Souths released him. It's not as if he just upped and left without telling anyone.

Walkers biggest mistake, or might even be his manager, is to sign with the Bunnies in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with a person looking after his own interest. Ask yourself this...

If someone offered you a contract for 3 years to work on an oil rig and you agreed. Knowing full well that you have never worked on an offshore Oil rig before you ask for an exit clause and they agreed. Three months pass and your not happy stuck in an oil rig, the company is falling apart, your not learning anything new and the rig is about to crash into the deep blue sea. Would you be tempted to exercise your exit clause? Or would you hand your fate over to the people running the business from the safety of their offices?

If I was the employer and the person was an important part of the business, I would do everything in order to make the person stay.

The way I saw it, Walker & Souths solved the matter amicably. There were no pending litigation that I know of and Souths were happy to release him.

So unless I'm missing something here, I can't see a problem.

Steady on, you are talking common sense. The regular subscribers here will not contemplate what you are getting at. They will only understand if you say "Walker's a dog" or "Walker's scum" or other such derogatory terms! :lol:

Big Bunny

Juniors
Cogburn, I agree. Walker did the right thing.

His leaving Souths did the club a favour. Having Walker stay would have been a far greater shame and no fan deserves to see a player dogging it. If the bloke had no idea that Souths might have been in for an ordinary season then he is a bigger idiot than anyone gives him credit for. Put simply, Chris Walker was looking for an easy ride and made the wrong choice. He is afraid of hard work and in a class team like the Roosters was exposed when they needed his raw talent the most. There is no denying he does have talent, but without the brains or integrity to accompany it he is nothing.

Azkatro

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:

You're quite right, but I might just comment that while Souths were happy to release the player, they were stupid to do so in the way that they did. Walker should have been made to wait until the 2004 season to play for a rival NRL club. It's decisions like this that have got Souths in the position that they're in - how many professional sports organisations would allow one of their own players to leave and compete against them while they were essentially still paying for that player? Not many!

Mind you there were a few cases of this happening this year - Todd Payten comes to mind. Funny how the Roosters keep getting the good end of the deal - like somebody else mentioned in this forum once before, they must have the best accountants in Australia :lol:

Big Bunny said:

His leaving Souths did the club a favour. Having Walker stay would have been a far greater shame and no fan deserves to see a player dogging it. If the bloke had no idea that Souths might have been in for an ordinary season then he is a bigger idiot than anyone gives him credit for. Put simply, Chris Walker was looking for an easy ride and made the wrong choice. He is afraid of hard work and in a class team like the Roosters was exposed when they needed his raw talent the most. There is no denying he does have talent, but without the brains or integrity to accompany it he is nothing.

Easy ride? afraid of hard work? Easts are the fittest team in the comp! You won't find any Mars bar loving fatties in the Roosters team! :lol: Walker will have to work 20 times harder at the Roosters than at Souths. You just don't get it do you. When he arrived at Easts he was so out of condition it wasn't funny. It was Ron Palmer and Craig Walker who got him fit through a lot of hard work, something he hadn't experienced at Souths. That's why Easts are up the top and Souths are down the bottom!

miccle

Bench
Basically, Walker is a glory hunter. Any other decent player would have treated souths with respect and worked so hard to try and teach younger blokes and really install a team ethic into a club that has been scarred with recent controversies.

Instead, he went off to a club where he can leech off the rest of the talent, just to maybe one day get his name on a GF trophy. Sad really, but I'm just glad he's left the broncos.

By the way RC, I don't think walker is doing himself any favours with his rep career - no matter who he plays with, it seems.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Big Bunny said:

Easy ride? afraid of hard work? Easts are the fittest team in the comp! You won't find any Mars bar loving fatties in the Roosters team! :lol: Walker will have to work 20 times harder at the Roosters than at Souths. You just don't get it do you. When he arrived at Easts he was so out of condition it wasn't funny. It was Ron Palmer and Craig Walker who got him fit through a lot of hard work, something he hadn't experienced at Souths. That's why Easts are up the top and Souths are down the bottom!

Easy ride? afraid of hard work? Easts are the fittest team in the comp! You won't find any Mars bar loving fatties in the Roosters team!

Easts looked pretty stale in the GF....where it mattered most.....i say Penrith are the fittest side as they ran the Roosters of the park in the second half.

You will find most sides don't feature "Mars bar loving fatties " in there sides.....those times are gone!!

Mars bars are actually not a bad supplement for sport's men though ;-)