What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarification of "stopped" rule from 1998

___

Juniors
Hi guys,

This is about an old NRL rule that I didn't really understand.

So Paul Carige puts his hand on the ball with one foot on the dead-ball line deeming the ball dead. Paul Carige then assumes that a 20m tap will take place.

What I don't understand is that Bill Harrigan ruled the ball had stopped, when clearly the footage shows the ball was still in motion when Paul Carige touched it. Am I reading this right or did Bill Harrigan make an incorrect ruling here?

Hi guys,

This is about an old NRL rule that I didn't really understand.

So Paul Carige puts his hand on the ball with one foot on the dead-ball line deeming the ball dead. Paul Carige then assumes that a 20m tap will take place.

What I don't understand is that Bill Harrigan ruled the ball had stopped, when clearly the footage shows the ball was still in motion when Paul Carige touched it. Am I reading this right or did Bill Harrigan make an incorrect ruling here?

Bingo!

___

Juniors
Ok so we agree on that. What made this call even more bizzare was that Sterlo ruled the ball had stopped before we even saw the replay. Also, once the replay was shown, the commentators didn't seem to dispute the call.

Frailty

First Grade
Ok so we agree on that. What made this call even more bizzare was that Sterlo ruled the ball had stopped before we even saw the replay. Also, once the replay was shown, the commentators didn't seem to dispute the call.
This was actually very frequent in the 90s. I remember Kevin Walters literally bounced the ball over the line and was awarded a try in 93 or 94, and the commentators when viewing the replay only said "I'm not sure about that" and then carried on with the game.

Part of the problem with watching the game now is the carry on from commentators.

Lifeline should have called Sterlo after that game. He sounded like he was at a funeral.

Fangs

Coach

As mentioned by Frailty its due to the nature of the game in 2024. It used to be easier to accept decisions.

The bunker creates an environment in which every call can be disputed. And broadcasters love it because they want as much controversy as possible in order to generate talking points after the game.

kurt faulk

Coach

I think the main gist of this thread is Bill harrigan is a f**kwit whose only aim was to keep the scores close by any means necessary.