What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic matches and observations

Knight87

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxl8iKGMys

This match from 1994, between Canterbury and Canberra on Easter Monday is, what I feel, is a classic match. A very top quality contest between what eventually would be the two teams in the grand final that year. Thankfully, there was none of this wrestling garbage in the tackle back in those days. The match appeared to be very free-flowing.

Interesting comment Rabs made at 5:03: "Countries right throughout the world to take in rugby league...". It appears that the multi-cultural day idea was a very big success and promoted well. If only the current NRL administration could take a page and lesson out of promoting matches today.

Another observation: From the tv audience point of view, it was great to never hear the referee always yelling "HELD!!!!!!!!!!!! DOMINANT!!!! LAST TACKLE!!!!!!!! LET GO!!!!!!!!!!!". Infact, I don't think I ever heard Greg McCallum throughout the entire match (probably because he didn't have a microphone attached to his shirt).

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Wouldn't be great to see more Monday public holiday games with special promotional feels about them like the one above.

All we get now is Monday night football on these public holidays which is a waste of a big crowd opportunity. All for friggin Fox Sports.

Knight87

Juniors
Yeah. In my opinion, they should promote games on public holidays. During the NRL season, these are:

Easter Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day and Queens Birthday Holiday.

For me, I would have the following:

Anzac Day: Sydney Roosters vs St George/Illawarra at SFS
Easter Friday: South Sydney vs Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium
Easter Monday: Brisbane vs Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium
Queens Birthday Holiday: Newcastle vs Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Those 4 matches, in my opinion, have a lot of potential to be successful. All 4 of those matches, I'd have them kicking off at 3pm and all of them on Free-to-air (Channel 9 at 4pm).

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Geez that video made Canberra look pretty ordinary.

The real classic match between these two sides was later that year in the Semis. The Bulldogs kicking a field goal at the death of extra time to seal it. One of the best games I've ever seen and my team lost.

Latest posts