What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic Origin games thread

Hi All,

Have recently been trawling through classic rugby league games on Kayo, including many State of Origin games on there. Doesn’t have all games on there but there’s plenty of them.

I watched all of these games as a kid through to now. Many I remember, some I dont. But I never missed and always loved everything about them. The build up, the corny intro sketches, then game time!

But in my opinion, some have aged really well while others I’m now seeing in a whole different light. I’ve gone through the 80’s n 90’s games so far... will go into the 2000’s soon..

Some things that stand out for me..

How good Darrell Eastlake was in commentary, by far and away the best origin commentator of all time for mine.

The overwhelming difference in quality of game between the 80’s and 90’s. I still maintain the 90’s was the best era for league as a spectacle.

How much better the jerseys of this era are. Simple designs, No big sponsor stickers slapped on the front and back. Mainly just sleeve sponsors (XXXX, Tooheys Blue etc, beers!).

How what I thought was legitimate biffo at the time was cheap shots and thuggery much of the time. An example was Steve Roach knocking Bob Lindner out senseless in Game 2, 1988. Complete king hit, but No send-off... (admittedly I don’t remember if he got suspended or not afterwards). And while the refs let a bit go.. the commentary was nonchalant about it most of the time too. Yes I realise I am watching games last century with glasses made in 2020..

Best game - 1992 Game 1. Famous for Benny Elias bleeding at the end and his mum on the field. It was an absolutely brutal game, fierce hits, many players knocked out (sadly Gary Larsons was savage.... commentary reports saying “suffering concussions and bleeding from the ears”.... Vautin later says “I don’t think he’ll be back..” !!!!). And Laurie Daley’s hit on Trevor Gillmeister would go close to being the biggest hit of all time in State of Origin.

The players of the day. Many names come automatically to mind when you talk of classic origin matches. But watching these reminded me of many others who were very good players. Players who stood out to me (ie better than I remembered, some i’d forgotten how good they really were)

NSW
Laurie Daley
Brad Clyde
Benny Elias
Michael O’Connor
Andrew Ettingshausen
David Barnhill
Rod Wishart
Brad Mackay

QLD
Dale Shearer
Julian O’Neill
Paul Vautin
Darren Fritz
Sam Backo
Peter Jackson
Gary Larson
And..
Paul Hauff in 1991 was outstanding.

Definitely worth a look through these old games on a rainy weekend, especially if you need a spirit-lifter after your club got pumped.

Last edited:

iJehovah

Juniors
have loved watching a lot of the old games - no wrestling or gang tackles, usually only 2 in the tackle, quick play the ball, more natural athletes (have to be if you only train twice a week for a few hours).
much better than todays games

I watched the Los Angeles game at veterans stadium the other night...

I had absolutely no memory that Johnathan Docking played SOO at all - but he did here. And played very well!

Scored a try and came close on other occasions.

have loved watching a lot of the old games - no wrestling or gang tackles, usually only 2 in the tackle, quick play the ball, more natural athletes (have to be if you only train twice a week for a few hours).
much better than todays games

Here here. Footballers vs Athletes.

Latest posts