What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic thread! haaaaa!!!

forward pass

Coach
walker smith said:
Charlie

But i personally think Bennett is the best coach in the league, just a little stale lately in terms of preparation for the post-origin period.

On what basis? Any coach would have done well with the talent he has had at his disposal.

How would he go coaching a side like Sharks or Souths?? Lets see him make them successful and than we can start saying what a great coach he is!

walker smith

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
As for preperation...i dont know. They quite easily could have beaten the Dogs had berrigan caught that grubber...and the same with regards to the Panthers game..

i do see your point on the "what if" argument.....but my concern regarding Brisbane's performances over the past five years is that their slump is regular! It seems to indicate a deficiency in their preparation may exist.

this is the same criticism i have applied to Brian Smith in the past with respect to his coaching methods...with Smith i argued that nine years of continued failure could mean that the coach's methods are no longer successful with this team dynamic!

In Bennets case, since the retirement of Kevvie, Alfie, Renouf and the gradual departure of the old guard, trhe same BEnnet methods have yet to rectify this trend of late season slumps...Perhaps he is not necessarily the right man for this particular team dynamic to land a premiership. No doubting he is a great coach with an amzing record and the ability to still coach a good team...but whether he is the man to drive this team to a premiership is my concern..

Anyhow, i just hope parra break their curse this year and deliver a premiership!

Mr Saab

Referee
Walker..
i understand what you mean re Bennett. I admire the man and think he is a great coach, top 5 ever...but this slump 5 yrs in a row is a major concern.
Bad luck? maybe...but 5 yrs in a row? seems extreme, even to a broncos supporter like myself.
I would like Bellamy to take over the Broncos whenever Wayne decides he has had enough.
If Brisbane dont win it...then i want the Dragons to win it. They have a much bigger curse than the Eels to break...almost up their with the Boston Red Sox (who delivered in 2004 after 80 + yrs)

walker smith

Juniors
forward pass said:
On what basis? Any coach would have done well with the talent he has had at his disposal.

How would he go coaching a side like Sharks or Souths?? Lets see him make them successful and than we can start saying what a great coach he is!

Its a moot point as he doesnt coach the sharks or souths...he has successfully presided over an excellent Brisbane era and, more importantly, has often learnt from his mistakes.

If it was simply a matter of the talent at his disposal leading to success, he would have the comp every year...but the fact is he has found a way to turn over different eras pretty rapidly....at the moment he is facing a new challenge and he may well succeed there too.

Your spurious argument could be applied to Brian Smith...he has had phenomenal resources, talent and one of the best nurseries for years yet still hasnt delivered a premiership.

Alsd, Brisbane are hwat they are because of bennett, so if he were coach of the sharks and souths, who is to say they wouldnt be what brisbane are. Its all hypothetical...the only solid fact is the successful era he has presided over at brisbane.

Seinfeeld

Juniors
The thing about Bennett is that when Broncos have these slumps - he never seems to be able to get them out of it - year after year.

Mr Saab

Referee
The Colonel said:
Bennett's true value will be seen only after he leaves......

that is true...same applies to Brad Fittler also.
Many "bashed" him on here the last fews yrs, but he has shown his worth to that club he left.

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
that is true...same applies to Brad Fittler also.
Many "bashed" him on here the last fews yrs, but he has shown his worth to that club he left.

It is a two way street though. Brisbane may not miss a beat if Bennett leaves, which is not entirely unlikely. It could just oprove that anyone could coach the Broncos. Sheedy down at Essendon faces the same problem. If someone comes a long and fills their big shoes it could do more harm than good for their "legacy"

Mr Saab

Referee
True colonel....but the bombers in melb have been up and down the past 20 yrs or so he has been there.
In Bennetts time at the broncos they have been basically up (esp since 1992)

Sheedy and Bennetts legacy in their respective codes will be unharmed regardless if their replacement is successful.

iggy plop

First Grade
RainMan said:
He never said that.

He thanked Parra for letting him go. What did you want him to say? "We have bought this below average player from Parra, hopefully he may perform better under a different coach"?

He thanked Parra for letting him go and a couple of other players as well like Heckenberg.

His sarcasm was there for all to hear. The cringe factor was huge.

He definitely deserves the 2005 humble pie award. Although I think Zorba would be glad to accept anything pie related.

Latest posts