What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary on Walsh

betcats

Referee
Cant wait till Cleary is f**ked off out of this club. I was embarrassed watching that game with my mates on the w.e, wanted to turn it off.

Luke Walsh is gonna save us is he, lol. This is Stephen Kearney v.2.

Pomoz

Bench
We can argue till we are blue in the face...but in all likelihood if that is our halves pairing it would be like playing with 2 Travis Burns as your halves...none of your backs would see consistent ball.

That isn't to say Austin cannot do it...he can get away with stuff at Windsor...but this isn't Windsor. At First Grade level...he is either a five-eight or lock and in the future he is likely a lock so why not just let the kid focus on that?

Walsh, unfortunately, is the only REAL halfback we have in this squad. Issac John isn't ready to step up, he is handy but only as a fill-in.

Our best option right now is to put as much speed and playmakers around to take the pressure off Walsh.

Moylan is a start, Austin to lock is another move I want to see to give us 4 genuine playmakers to ensure we are unpredictable. That would give us the best chance to win.
I love your work Big Mick. I think you are spot on with your analysis. It is such a shame that Roberts got injured because he will make a big difference when he gets back.
Your 4 playmakers template is how we won in 2003. Three of the spine (1,6,7,9) were absolute class (presto, Gowie and Priddis) and Girds and Satts could also put on a play and Rhy's raw speed helped finish off the good playmaking work.

I like the idea of Austin adding to the options rather than trying to make him a half and when Roberts is back, we suddenly have a range of options. This will take pressure of Walsh and give Humble room to use his running game.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Agreed Pomoz.

I think he just struggles being the focus of everything.

Give him a few options around him...like at the end of last year when Coote was there and we play well.

I don't think we can underestimate the need for unpredictability.

chrisD

Coach
It doesn't matter who is around him, his inability to consistently throw a good smooth ball as part of a standard back line sweep should be terminal to his NRL career.

betcats

Referee
There is always a reason to give Walsh a few more games, lol. He f**king sucks. Poor decision making, Poor kicking, Poor running game, poor ball player, poor defence. Poor f**king everything, he does nothing well.

He's a halfback that's played over 100 nrl games. He should want and excel under pressure, not be looking for someone else to do all the work. It's embarrassing every time he pulls on our jersey

darkbloom

Juniors
It is one thing to be able to thrive under pressure but there are limits. If there are no options around you the opposition knows that and they don't have to even think about where they have to apply pressure.

Walsh has some talent but he has very little around him.

I doubt he could be a world beater but with a 1 & 6 who gave him some options to work with he could give us reasonable service.

royceruled

Juniors
just a question does anyone know whats happened to liam foran from manly?
was killing it when his brother was injured last year ?

Pomoz

Bench
There is always a reason to give Walsh a few more games, lol. He f**king sucks. Poor decision making, Poor kicking, Poor running game, poor ball player, poor defence. Poor f**king everything, he does nothing well.
Yeah mate, but we are stuck with him. Really, there is no one better in the club at the moment so we need to give him as much support as possible on the field. He doesn't cope with being the main man, some players love it and some don't. IMO Benji Marshal is the same. He is great when he has others around him also playmaking because it gives him time to think up plays of the top of his head. When he is supposed to organise and be the traffic controller, he loses the plot.

betcats

Referee
Hmmmmmmm mentioning Benji and Walsh in the same sentence. Luke Walsh is scared of the line, its sad watching him play.

Matty Robisnson should have 4 or 5 games under his belt this season, likewise Austin and probably Travis Robinson as well. Whare should of been in the centres all season.

We lose five in a row and our coachs plan to Improve our season is Luke Walsh, we are so f**ked.

TheFrog

Coach
It is one thing to be able to thrive under pressure but there are limits. If there are no options around you the opposition knows that and they don't have to even think about where they have to apply pressure.

I doubt he could be a world beater but with a 1 & 6 who gave him some options to work with he could give us reasonable service.

This is the way I see it too. While even his Mum would agree he's no Cooper Cronk, unfortunately there are no better options currently available. He does have a topline kicking game (sometimes), so its not all gloom and doom.

This and other threads here show that there is no blacker pit in hell than the forum of a losing footy team. It won't last forever, though. Our Under 20's are 6 wins from 6. These are the guys who will bring success to the club, just as Gus predicted.

franklin2323

Immortal

Spot on. Teams know Kingston wont run so they can pressure the halves. Atm the 3rd in defender is rushing into pressure the players outside Humble. Leaving him with no option but to run sideways. Take Walsh out insert someone else the same issues. The 1 time against Souths we got the pass out there we scored.

We get deeper backs and more options we can go better. Who can ball play in the ATM? No one. It's why we need decoys and Austin, Moylan and just stack the team.

Stand Walsh, Austin 1 side. Moylan, Humble the other. Have some decoys between each of them. Fast wingers and teams have no idea what's coming

franklin2323

Immortal
Matty Robisnson should have 4 or 5 games under his belt this season, likewise Austin and probably Travis Robinson as well. Whare should of been in the centres all season.

We lose five in a row and our coachs plan to Improve our season is Luke Walsh, we are so f**ked.

That's the hopeless coach we have. F**kstick he is

Latest posts