What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club membership - bring about change

Alan Shore

First Grade
Who here has actually paid up and joined the Football Club so they can vote on the board elections?

If we're serious about changing the club for the better, the whole forum needs to be signing up as members and demanding better from management.

I've just sent in my form to join the Football Club (though it's a 3 year wait for voting rights). Do I need to be joining the Leagues Club as well?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
As I understand it;

being a member of the football club enables you to vote "on football related issues". 1 issue that could be put to the vote, is the minute possibility of relocation.

being a finacial member of the leagues club allows you to vote for the directors, who will reside over both boards.

being a financial member of the leagues club is the best financial way to support the club if you are a fan.

it cost around $30 a year I think

Feel free to correct anything here.

jc155776

Coach
Leagues club cost me $60 for 5 years.

Can vote on the board who make all the important decisions anyway, and run the club either well, or into the ground.

Reefy is right on the leagues membership being the best way to support the club, gives the club an income without any cost to the club.

No requirement on how long one must have been member however memberships are approved at each meeting and I dont think there is one until the elections.

Must vote in person.

Frenz, I may be way off, but i heard last election there was about 800 votes tallied, 50 forum members voting is a bit more then 6%, not a bad effect on an election. May be a long shot, but groups voting in mass may make a difference.

We all argue and hate each other in here over the most trivial things, but we all love the club, in one way or another. Survival is important to us all and one thing that can ensure survival is putting the club into the hands of people qualified to make it a better and more secure club.

People in here may disagree with me, but for the last 5 years we have been going down the sh*tter, with some awful decisions including the hiring and firing of two coaches costing the club a massive amount of money. Once is a mistake, twice is incompetence. The leeches at the top feasting and drinking away the clubs money each week (up until this year when an audit recomended a selling of a certain box) I believe are costing us dearly.

I may get slammed for what I have said, maybe I have NFI, but would be good to see some more talk and less apathy about what is going on.

jc155776

Coach
Thats the biggest problem.

I have heard nothing on any other options anywhere.

Maybe they are getting organised now the election has been called to make an official announcement?

When do nominations have to be in by and who can stand?

Bring back ET! He is a man with a business AND football brain. That said, why give away a life of fishing and tropical islands for a basket case.

Danger

Juniors
Question... I don't get up to the leagues club very often, so i don't join, but i buy a season ticket each year, does that give me member priviledges in regards to voting?

jc155776

Coach
Question... I don't get up to the leagues club very often, so i don't join, but i buy a season ticket each year, does that give me member priviledges in regards to voting?

Nope.

One of the many scams going on to ensure that ticketed "members" are not in fact members, merely season seat holders.

Keeps the current boards bunch of elderly supporter base in the majority.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If 1 little black duck I know is thinking of running for the board, I will fly down & bring 5 votes with me to the elctions.
he has to denounce is leftist tendencies though, or it is all just a waste of time.

jc155776

Coach
If there is a decent alternative to the current there are a lot of people who will be down voting and bringing relatives etc. I am coming down from up here and will drag my uncle and grandfather along to vote as well. Both are leagues members.

spider

Coach
When do nominations have to be in by and who can stand?
anyone can stand, but they must submit an application to the electoral office 30 days prior to the election date

the candidates are then put on public notice leading up to the election

well as members we should all be receiving that information in the mail. Has anybody?

it only has to be displayed within the club reefy

im led to believe the electoral office has received quite a few calls - fingers crossed thats not where it stops

newman

First Grade
Frenz, I may be way off, but i heard last election there was about 800 votes tallied, 50 forum members voting is a bit more then 6%, not a bad effect on an election. May be a long shot, but groups voting in mass may make a difference.

We all argue and hate each other in here over the most trivial things, but we all love the club, in one way or another. Survival is important to us all and one thing that can ensure survival is putting the club into the hands of people qualified to make it a better and more secure club.

Post of the year. Well done.

If you love the sharks, join up and vote. As has been said before, it is true that you only need join the Leagues club to vote. The 3 year wait stuff is bullsh*t for Leagues club elections. In my opinion, if you live local and dont vote you vetoing your right to voice any opinion on the club.

I believe that there is a rival ticket being organised by some prominent members and some other interesting candidates will be running independently. The announcement will be made very shortly as to who is running. I have said it previously but I have heard that one (and maybe 2) sitting members will be retiring, so there is a good chance for change. There is a problem in that without a full ticket getting up, very little can be changed as 'Barrys' board almost always votes in a block on major issues. Jonathon Docking got onto the board a couple of years back as an independent and in nearly sent him to the asylum.

One big downside is that you cannot vote by proxy. You need to be there in person.

carcharias

Immortal
speaking of being a leagues club member... the club fugged about 10 years ago by offering life time membership for about $100.00.

I got one.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So can somebody please , after all these years please put some info on here on;
The block vote works & how to combat it
candidates names & prophiles
how to propose a resolution to change constitutional voting arrangements
more to add

Latest posts