What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club rallies around Brian

horrie hastings

First Grade
Brian’s been doing it tough for a while now. Glad the club hasn’t forgotten him. ‘Legend’ gets overused in rugby league but definitely fits this bloke.
All the best to ya, Brian.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5d19301c2d138fec3e10ccddee89f4ac

Back to the days of the old Turner Stand Army, even though I sat on the Paddo hill for most of the Sports Ground games, you could still hear Brian's chants from the other end of the ground.

It was sad in the last year of the SFS you would come out of the ground and see Brian there in his walker chair waiting to get picked up, everyone one would say hello or legend when they walked past and he was just there happy even though he was in ill health.

Funny though i remember back in 1982 when Canberra hosted the Roosters in the last round, driving back on the Federal Highway one of the supporters buses had broken down and there was Brian and Jane[ plus a couple of the other Turner Stand Army who i don't know the names of] sitting behind the bus, that has always stuck in my mind.

Last edited:

Headless Chook

Juniors
That's a real shame but credit to the club and those involved for helping Brian and his family out.

I vividly remember as a kid in the 70's at the SCG and the Sports Ground being spooked by his antics. Those sticks he's use to put opposition goal kickers off were worth admission alone.

Even though I am not old enough to have witnessed games at the Sports Ground, I do have recent memories of him at the SFS, particularly when the Chookpen used to be on the western side. Brian used to be in very fine voice, particularly during those lower grade games. The whole stadium would have heard him giving lessons to those referee "criminals". I too used to see him with his frame and wonder how he was getting on - very sad. I spoke to him on a number of occasions. He is a nice bloke and leaves you in no doubt that he loves our great club. All the best to him and his family at this challenging time. I hope he can make it back at some point. It would be great if he can make it to the SFS re-opening, even if it is as a one off, whenever that may be exactly.

Latest posts