What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs in fight for bigger slice of NRL's TV pie

Perth and Brisbane 2 for mine would be the safest bet.

NZ2 as well after that and maybe another qld team.

Anyone saying a team on the CC is dreaming barely enough $$$ around for NSW teams as is.

Cletus

First Grade
Hopefully with the new structure there the NRL will cost less to run. That $10million New Ltd get is going and the new broadcast rights deal will be a lot higher than the current one. I hope they put some more into grass roots but there is no reason why the clubs can't get a much larger grant than they currently do.

Anyone saying a team on the CC is dreaming barely enough $$$ around for NSW teams as is.

I'd love to see the Bears on the CC but I agree that Brisbane needs a second team. It's strange that after so much dominance in SOO they only have 3 teams in a 16 team comp. Perth would be good but they will struggle for a few years and they will have to work very hard with grass roots.

DiggerBlue

Juniors
With $1bn+ banked the NRL and the clubs definitely have to look at diversifying and expanding their revenue streams. The clubs do probably deserve a bigger slice of the pie, but it just seems lazy to have that and only that as your main revenue stream. I thought it'd would've been in the entire comps interest to use the upcoming rights money to expand the game and improve it.

Maybe the commission should ask for submissions on what the clubs will spend the money on before handing it over?

:roll:
ECT providing us with a fair and balanced opinion as usual
This from a bloke who seems to favour an NRL team in Brisbane split between two completely separate areas that are not connected to each other in any way. Why not have the Sunshine Coast-Ipswich Sea Eagles instead. Makes as much sense.

Goddo

Bench
This from a bloke who seems to favour an NRL team in Brisbane split between two completely separate areas that are not connected to each other in any way. Why not have the Sunshine Coast-Ipswich Sea Eagles instead. Makes as much sense.

Hows the PNG bid comming along? Ipswich-Logan makes as much sense as Wests, St George or Canterbury-Bankstown. I don't think I can rely on you for a reasonable comment on anything though. Hence my sarcastic remark.

Exactly. I think the Bears fans realise this too, the chatter on this forum from them has been about introducing 4 teams over 6 years. That ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
Hows the PNG bid comming along? Ipswich-Logan makes as much sense as Wests, St George or Canterbury-Bankstown. I don't think I can rely on you for a reasonable comment on anything though. Hence my sarcastic remark.
That's right it does make as much sense as those Sydney clubs. And the Northern Eagles too. So you want us to turn Brisbane into the mess that Sydney is? Brilliant. Genius. You can be as sarcastic as you like but when you talk dribble like that you're the one who looks stupid. Why not have the Broncos play half their games in Mackay and the second team can be Ipswich-Rockhampton. Makes as much sense as Ipswich-Logan. They're not even in the same QRL division. But I'm sure you didn't know that. That would require some knowledge outside the NRL.

dragons__

Juniors
53%???

This has a sorta NBA smell to it. Could we see a lockout in 2013, potentially missing a portion of the start of the season?

I'll answer my own question. No.

Danish

Referee
Don't see any problem with the clubs getting the lion's share of the TV rights deal considering every last dollar of that money is because of the NRL clubs and their players.

If the IC knows they are only getting a 47% slice of the pie as well they might be more inclined to wring every last dollar out of the networks and other corporate sponsors instead of continuing to undersell our league.

Exactly. I think the Bears fans realise this too, the chatter on this forum from them has been about introducing 4 teams over 6 years. That ain't gonna happen.

18 teams at the most.

And the next 2 teams shouldn't be introduced for atleast 5 years and until all the existing clubs are running like a well oiled machine.

We all saw how 20 teams worked before.

adamkungl

Immortal
I seriously get sick of basically every year only the Storm, Manly, Bronco's and Dragons being a shot of winning it. Along with a token team like the Warriors, Cows or Dogs.

Oh yeah, its awful. Well it would be, except that we've also seen Roosters, Eels, Knights, Penrith, and Tigers in Grand Finals over the last 10 years. Even the Sharks have finished top 4 in that time and would have gone close if not for the Greg Bird scandal.

So...you're a dribbler.

Goddo

Bench
That's right it does make as much sense as those Sydney clubs. And the Northern Eagles too. So you want us to turn Brisbane into the mess that Sydney is? Brilliant. Genius. You can be as sarcastic as you like but when you talk dribble like that you're the one who looks stupid. Why not have the Broncos play half their games in Mackay and the second team can be Ipswich-Rockhampton. Makes as much sense as Ipswich-Logan. They're not even in the same QRL division. But I'm sure you didn't know that. That would require some knowledge outside the NRL.
Medication time :crazy:

babyg

Juniors
happy for the clubs to get more money but it has to be linked to kpi's. crowds, promotion, grass roots development, community engagement etc.

Justafan

Juniors
I suggest the 53% of the TV Revenue is an ambit claim. The Clubs are smart enough to know that you have to go in big at first when seeking a cut of the pie if you want something even remotely decent.

Billythekid

First Grade
Hopefully the clubs use this money to try and further grow their brands. I know some people are worried they will just take the money and sit on it but i'm not sure many will. If they do they will be left behind by the clubs who are pushing memberships and really trying to grow their brand in general.

juro

Bench
18 teams at the most.

And the next 2 teams shouldn't be introduced for atleast 5 years and until all the existing clubs are running like a well oiled machine.

If you want to wait until all existing clubs are running efficiently, we'll never move forward!

rednblack

Juniors

20 teams worked fine before - it was Murdoch's greed that f***ed it up...
What Goddo says is partly right though. Some people (CC fans included) support the notion of introducing 4 new teams. If there are 4 bids that are up to scratch at expansion time, I could agree with this. But not because I think its the only way to include the Bears. I'm a firm believer that if existing clubs can't keep their standards high, they should be dropped.
FTR, I'm an advocate of 18 at the present time, if for no other reason than the fact that I don't think there are 4 current bids that could cut it right now.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
More money should be diverted towards the RLIF to turn it into a proper organisation, similar to the IRB but not controlled by the ARL like the IRB is by the RFU. Also, more acronyms.

The clubs need to be forcibly removed for the good of rugby league as a whole. While I would love to see the NRL become a dominant force, I would like even more for rugby league to become a truly international game, and it doesn't take long, just money. Union has done it relatively quickly, because the real power in rugby union rests with the unions, rather than the clubs.

The clubs are businesses, and will act out of self interest. Governing bodies act in the best interests of the sport in their nations. If we want to grow the game and have a good World Cup, and good international competition, then international governance is a must.