What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Ivan Cleary

age.s

First Grade
One thing I find interesting is that his career win percentage isn't brought up much anymore.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hindsight is 20/20. Easy enough to say now that things are changing but at the time it was a very positive decision.

I can’t say I agree with that, blind Freddy could see that the Dogs are a basket case and are literally years away from being competitive.

Burton is being seen as light the at the end of the tunnel, but unfortunately, as poor Flanno is finding out, their pack sux and they have no go forward. This is not a great way to try and kick off your NRL career.

He was offered big money and his manager told him to take it. His “mate” Bazz also convinced him it was a great move.

As far as careers go, I think it’s about as negative move as he could have made, ask Nic Cotric.

But anyway, he’s done it, now he has to try and make the most of it.

WestyLife

First Grade
I can’t say I agree with that, blind Freddy could see that the Dogs are a basket case and are literally years away from being competitive.

Burton is being seen as light the at the end of the tunnel, but unfortunately, as poor Flanno is finding out, their pack sux and they have no go forward. This is not a great way to try and kick off your NRL career.

He was offered big money and his manager told him to take it. His “mate” Bazz also convinced him it was a great move.

As far as careers go, I think it’s about as negative move as he could have made, ask Nic Cotric.

But anyway, he’s done it, now he has to try and make the most of it.

Yeah they suck right now but the only way that changes is to sign players like Burton. When they go to market for a hooker they can point to Burto/JAC and have that extra pull to fill the roster with good talent. Then winning starts.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah they suck right now but the only way that changes is to sign players like Burton. When they go to market for a hooker they can point to Burto/JAC and have that extra pull to fill the roster with good talent. Then winning starts.

Mitch Kenny is the player Trent should be going after.

I think he would be a great buy for Dogs, he has been terrific for us.

Sure he doesn’t have the running game of Cook, Grant or Koroisau but gives good service, plays big minutes and good for 50 tackles every game.

I don’t want to lose him but I can understand him seeking an opportunity as starting hooker at another club.

With the addition of JAC I really don’t see much point going after more outside backs, Trent needs a dummy half and a couple of quality forwards in my opinion.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Please mate, they won’t be pointing at anyone if they aren’t winning, Burto and JAC won’t change that. Their forward pack needs a complete overhaul, what hooker is going to want to join that mess?!? This will take the dogs years to fix and I honestly don’t think Bazz is good enough to do it.

I said it when he signed and I’m still saying it now, it was a stupid move.

WestyLife

First Grade
Mitch Kenny is the player Trent should be going after.

I think he would be a great buy for Dogs, he has been terrific for us.

Sure he doesn’t have the running game of Cook, Grant or Koroisau but gives good service, plays big minutes and good for 50 tackles every game.

I don’t want to lose him but I can understand him seeking an opportunity as starting hooker at another club.

With the addition of JAC I really don’t see much point going after more outside backs, Trent needs a dummy half and a couple of quality forwards in my opinion.

Same. Not overly expensive and will do a great job. Kenny has developed well.

Please mate, they won’t be pointing at anyone if they aren’t winning, Burto and JAC won’t change that. Their forward pack needs a complete overhaul, what hooker is going to want to join that mess?!? This will take the dogs years to fix and I honestly don’t think Bazz is good enough to do it.

Knights did exactly that with Ponga and now it's only injuries keeping them down. How else can a club start improving if they don't sign good players?

Kilkenny

Coach

I understand why he took the job, head coaching positions are hard to come by.

I think he deserves another season at the very least to see if he can deliver improved performance next season.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Same. Not overly expensive and will do a great job. Kenny has developed well.

Knights did exactly that with Ponga and now it's only injuries keeping them down. How else can a club start improving if they don't sign good players?

Sign players in positions they need. A 5/8 and a winger is not what they need.

maple_69

Bench
I think the best route to rebuilding out of such an extraordinarily deep hole is to sign experienced players from winning teams, ideally forwards. The Dogs need to re-establish standards, work ethic, 1 percenters and pride. I rate the Townsend signing by the Cows as a better signing than Burton. Burton is an attempt at a shortcut while bringing Townsend on board signals you want guys who know how to win and can get the club competitive, if not strong, while the rest of the squad is improved. I’d be throwing everything at Finucane/Brown plus Soliola and Kenny.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I think the best route to rebuilding out of such an extraordinarily deep hole is to sign experienced players from winning teams, ideally forwards. The Dogs need to re-establish standards, work ethic, 1 percenters and pride. I rate the Townsend signing by the Cows as a better signing than Burton. Burton is an attempt at a shortcut while bringing Townsend on board signals you want guys who know how to win and can get the club competitive, if not strong, while the rest of the squad is improved. I’d be throwing everything at Finucane/Brown plus Soliola and Kenny.
Burton is a freak, while Chad is pretty awful. I get your point but Townsend isn't good

maple_69

Bench
Yeah I don’t disagree he’s a bog average half but I think he’ll be good for the club long term. Like Wallace and Kingston were for us.

Munky

Coach
Wallace played for NSW. I believe he did both knees before playing two first grade games? Had a great career but could have been something else.

Kingston was a very good first grader who may have got a game for Queensland if some bloke at Melbourne was unavailable.

The Chad's most notable moment of his career is getting hooked off the field in a final for being terrible the same year his team won a comp.

Burton is more likely a Thurston to the Cowboys signing.

Latest posts