What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coach of the year

Bryce

Juniors
Brian Smith's coaching effort is daylight to anyone - bar Anderson. However, Smith must get it for the great hights he has taken the team in attack. Average of 31 points in attack! NOT BAD WITH ALL THE MODERN DEFENCE AROUND!!!!!

Brian Smith's is one of the best of all time. right up three with Chris Mckivatt (Norths 1921-2), Pony Holloway (Easts, 1930's), Ian Walsh (St George 1963) and Jack Gibson (Easts 1975, and Parra 81-83). One hell of an effort. Hopefully, the best is yet to come!

I agree with the choice of Smith. Parra are playing like a perfectly synchronised machine in both attack and defence and that is a rare coaching feat. Andersons achievements were great, but made to look a lot better by the abject failures of past Warriors coaches.

However I think it's way too early to call this Parra team the greatest attacking team in history. They have broken some records and deserve great credit for that, butI still don't rate them as highly in attack as some past teams, namely Easts (74-75), Parra (81-86), Canberra (89-94) and Brisbane (92-93).

All of those teams performed consistently well for at least 2 seasons. Also the differences in rules at various stages will have an affect on the number of points scored .The Easts side I mentioned (and the Parra side too I think) played under the 5 metre rule and the changes to interchange this year have taken a while to adjust to.

If Parra can repeat their efforts in attack again next year I'll have to change my view. They are a great team though, and despite what some of my fellow dogs fans are saying, talk of choking is a bit of a joke.

B

bender

Make that 2 wins away from the premiership. Coach of the year predictions can change enourmously in 7 days.

Anyone who says Brian Smith deserves the honour at this stage is kidding. Anderson and Bennett are the only two in the running at this stage. Although the coach of the eventual premiers would obviously have strong claims.

Bryce

Juniors
How the hell is Bennet in the running? Being grump of the year and wining 2 from 9 with a team chock full of internationals is not a real flash record, is it!

B

bender

How short is your memory Bryce.

At the start of the year, Bennett the side that took the field had the following internationals:
1 Lockyer - Worlds best fullback but many said he had questionable hands and many even preferred the likes of Peachey, O'Davis, Brasher etc. as a fullback. He has now established himself clearly as the no 1 fullback.
2 Sailor - Best Winger in the game.
3Tuquiri - Fijian international - Does not Count as he could not make any Australian Rep sides.
4 Webcke - Prop forward.

That makes 3 internationals. How is that a side chock full of internationals? Tallis was also an international but he has been injured, thus the side sliding from first to 7th. Ikin was a fringe state of origin player and Stuart Kelly was a former state of origin player although he came to Brisbane as a reserve grader.

Bryce do you not remmeber game 1 of the year when most people were predicting that the Broncos would miss the 8 because they had lost too many key players over the last couple of years. If you do not, go to WORL and dig out a few old predictions posts.

Now as i previously pointed out Bennett has already won the SOO with a side that was expected to cop a flogging, made the greatest call of all time in returning Allan Langer, and has positioned a young side to within 2 wins of the premiership. At this stage Bennett could not possibly have done more. Sure he could have won the minor premiership but noone could care less about that, it is less important than winning a solitary semi final match. The Broncos are in a better position now than they would be if they won the premiership by 10 points.

Of the Challengers, Anderson is clearly in the lead for his great effort. Smith has shown done great but it all means nothing if Parra dont go all the way, or at least to the Grand final.

Latest posts