What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coaches

PARRACHILEAN

Juniors
Hello parra fans

Just a quick question does anyone mind that our coaches from first grade side are not former players. Reason i bring this up is becuase of the announcement of the roosters acquring fitler and lam to coach both formers players. Does this annoy anyone????

Stagger eel

Staff member
Absolutely not..those days are well entruly over for every club.

btw, the other assistant is Paul Young who isn't a former player for the Roosters.

PARRACHILEAN

Juniors
just a comment how about the bulldogs most of there coaches have played for them and have been very successfull why havent our former players coached. Brett kenny coached at penrith sg ball grand final side when i herd that i was very suprised and confused why he never came to the club he was at all his playing years.

carson

Juniors
After the success we had with the crow and hildich, I'm prepared to give non-former players a go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PARRACHILEAN said:
just a comment how about the bulldogs most of there coaches have played for them and have been very successfull why havent our former players coached. Brett kenny coached at penrith sg ball grand final side when i herd that i was very suprised and confused why he never came to the club he was at all his playing years.

Canterbury as a special case, they're a club with a great deal of family tradition which began in the Peter Moore era and they tend literally tend to keep it in the family, I believe Steve Fokes os Peter Moore's son in law as is their previous coach Chris Anderson and off course the assistant coach is Kevin Moore which is Peter's son.

I dare say this will change post Steve Fokes although there has been suggestions of Kevin Moore taking over the reigns once Folkes's contract ends.

Brett Kenny has had a public falling out with Denis Fitzgerald when he expressed interest to take over from Ron Hilditch for the coaching job and didn't get the gig but depending on who you talk to, Brian Smith was the first choice of coach from other people in the board and not Fitzy who wanted to leave the job for an ex club legend.

I'm not sure how true that claim was.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think the days of players becoming coaches at their old clubs will slowly come to an end and I am reasonably surprised that Fittler has been appointed by the Roosters for the next two years. Lam has at least been away from the club and taken on a few different coaching roles at other clubs.

As a caretaker I can see some sense in it yes, as most caretaker coaches have a great turn around after they are first appointed as the pressure is off with little to no expectation. As an ex-player he can rebuild some of the lost morale, and this is where I also think JT was very good last year but was much happier to see a new coach appointed.

He will have some hard decisions over the next few years with players with who he has played with at some point and as much as they like to think they can step apart from the role of mate it will play some part. It will also be interesting to see whether Fittler, who is a club legend can handle the pressure that will be associated with being a coach.

Meninga, Lamb, Simmons, Cronin, Hilditch, Langmack, Peard, Pearce, Lewis....... the list goes on and on. Great players who never reached similar heights as coaches.

goboggo

Juniors
You take the best coach available, no matter where they're from (except Manly).

After that, if they want to bring the club legends into the fold every now and then, all's well and good.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
It is better to bring in some fresh blood and maybe attract a wider group of players to the club. We may now appeal to Knights and Bulldogs players or players that were fans of those clubs due to Hagan.

PARRACHILEAN

Juniors
So what you saying eelevation is that we dont really have tradition in our club?? if hilditch and crowe had the personel we have know maybe things would not have been the same in there time.
I feel hagan came to a team that was set team just like newcastle he had andrew johns. im sure that if crowe who i thought did well for the players he had at the time had the players we have right know it would be a diffrent story.

The next question i have is have all the past players have had falling outs with dennis fitzgerald if so dont you think there something wrong there.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PARRACHILEAN said:
So what you saying eelevation is that we dont really have tradition in our club?? if hilditch and crowe had the personel we have know maybe things would not have been the same in there time.
I feel hagan came to a team that was set team just like newcastle he had andrew johns. im sure that if crowe who i thought did well for the players he had at the time had the players we have right know it would be a diffrent story.

The next question i have is have all the past players have had falling outs with dennis fitzgerald if so dont you think there something wrong there.

I'm not saying we don't have a tradition but some clubs tend to embrace it than others and I'm sure you're right about the Crow but at the end of the day the Crow chose to go back to his pub fulltime way before the 1993 season had ended and Hilditch decided to give up coaching at the end of 96 for a position in the board.

not all the past players have had a falling out with the Dennis but there's been a few high profile one's namely Kenny, Sterling and Price however all three have attended functions held by the club in the past so it haven't exsactly thumbed their nose at the club or Dennis entirely.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hilditch had a the Canterbury Four and a number of other Super League players in 2006 before Smith was appointed. We didn't make the eight then either.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Hilditch had a the Canterbury Four and a number of other Super League players in 2006 before Smith was appointed. We didn't make the eight then either.

and he was exactly committed to the cause that season which was why he gave up the coaching game early that season.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the club did what it had to to survive in the mid 90's. We got Pay, Smith etc and then replaced the coach with a coach known for building successful teams. He may not have won a title but he did get the best out of clubs.

I would have loved to see Kenny or Sterling or both as the coach back in the 90's but I think rightly the club saw what ex players inexperienced in coaching could offer and decided to go with a proven performer.

Remember at the time, we could see a war coming and smarter heads realised only the strong would survive. At least that is what it looks like looking back now.

Parra Guru

Coach
PARRACHILEAN said:
Hello parra fans

Just a quick question does anyone mind that our coaches from first grade side are not former players. Reason i bring this up is becuase of the announcement of the roosters acquring fitler and lam to coach both formers players. Does this annoy anyone????

No it doesn't phase me, but it does annoy me that Joe Grima had to step aside for David Fairleigh

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Parra Guru said:
No it doesn't phase me, but it does annoy me that Joe Grima had to step aside for David Fairleigh

Just think of all the Maltese players that we could have lured to the club with the national coach here.

Nikki

Coach
I actually use Nathan Brown as a reason why I dont think former players should coach the clubs they play for. I reckon Browny would do alot better coaching a team were he had no "mates". Not that I would know personally, but I would say there is a big difference between playing for a club and coaching a club. To be a coach you need to some what leave some of the playing emotions behind. The line can probably get a little blurred and perspective lost. Especially for the younger coaches who may end up coachin older players that they actually played alongside of. Could be a bit harder to get respect from them.

In saying that. I was actually a fan of JT staying on at Parra, but believe he wouldnt have been carrying the emotional baggage of being a Parra Jnr etc.

Anyways, I hope that makes some kind of sense...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can you imagine, though, the hell that would be caused given the following plausible scenario?

Eels coach Peter Sterling cuts Jarryd Hayne, because he wants his long-term fullback to be Shannon McDonnell.

The respect you have for the legend of Peter Sterling would only marginally top the outrage you feel at his dubious decisions. For that reason, I'd hate a former Eel to coach us - if he made any mistake, the fans would jump on his back and give him a hard time.

Latest posts