What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffs Harbour 7s

Fanny Batter said:
a friend of mine was up there with the north sydney old boys team and he said that doug was refereeing.

nkod i think u r being a bit slack on doug.the 7s were on the weekend.his job is during the week.what sponsors would be available on the weekend.

its not like he took time off work to go up there.

i dunno about norths but the jets should be looking for sponsors 7 days a week ! we have'nt got a leagues club to fund us like norths do .

went on the jets website the other day and i could'nt find any info about this seasons major sponsor . have we got 1 now that the airports have gone the junior jets ? but i could find the out of the blue book on the website that my girlfriend wanted for her dad but was told that its now not for sale any more ?

Fanny Batter

Juniors
nkod you have no idea about business. who r u gonna find on a saturday when its just casuals etc working at businesses.

i was after out of the blue a few months ago and got told it was being reprinted. possinbly in time for 2008 with additions for the past 15 odd years. that'd b gr8 if it happened.

meanwhile my friend was wrong about refereeing. apparently he was a touch judge. look at this

7s-0765.jpg

7s-0753.jpg

brendothejet

First Grade
Jeffles said:
Not many other A Grade sides will have the chance to train with a Jim Beam Cup side once a month!

Ideally we would stack A Grade with fringe Jim Beam Cup players but that cannot happen.

i'm sorry but in the two years i've been there we have not trained with JBC five times. I know we are supposed to be training with JBC once a month from now on, but lets wait and see.

Ideally what you would do is not register EVERY SINGLE BLOKE who comes down for a run at JBC. by grading these players you make them unavailable to the Juniors.

What should happen is newtwon JBC pick their squad and register them. send the rest to A Grade and register them in the souths juniors comp. That way shuold they be required they can be brought up. Unfortunately as it is should we need them we can't bring them down.

There are plenty of teams in the comp that have several JBC players. Not just in Souths juniors but in a lot of Juniors comps. It is doable.

Jeffles

Bench
Your system would only work up until June 30 my understanding is.

As for training, that is set to happen this year.

Finally (what I forgot to mention above) is that this year the Newtown RLFC is doing all Newtown JRLFC administtration work free of charge AND they negotiated a sponsorship deal with Sydney Airport for the Newtown JRLFC worth more than most students would earn in a year.

brendothejet

First Grade
Well our comp starts in march/april. I for one wouldn't mind having these blokes alongside me for that time.

It would also give JBC coaches a lot more time to look at their squads and deal with any injury concerns early in the season to mid season...

Jeffles

Bench
Brendo, I have asked around and done a bit of research. Here is what I have come up with.

Ideally what you would do is not register EVERY SINGLE BLOKE who comes down for a run at JBC. by grading these players you make them unavailable to the Juniors

Newtown don't even do this now. There have been occassions where players have only been signed the week they are due to play.

What should happen is newtwon JBC pick their squad and register them. send the rest to A Grade and register them in the souths juniors comp. That way shuold they be required they can be brought up. Unfortunately as it is should we need them we can't bring them down.

Newtown sign only who they need as it is. It's not like they have heaps players on the not playing. With injuries etc there are only a few players that are not playing each week. In some bad years (I think 2002) it was a real struggle as the club used loads of players. But even then these players were signed on a necessary basis (they replaced injured players).

Players that have trialled with Newtown RLFC and not been successful have been made aware of the Newtown JRLFC but many of them couldn't give a rat's arse. They would rather play A Grade where they get paid, country football (where they get paid) or try their luck elsewhere (where they get paid). There is a theme running there! And Newtown JRLFC nor Newtown RLFC are in a position to pay A Grade players.

As it is Souths Juniors only allow one contracted Jim Beam Cup player per club to file down to an A Grade team. Believe it or not but Newtown RLFC did ask Souths Juniors if their surplus Jim Beam Cup players could all play A Grade at Newtown RLFC. They were denied the chance because it would be unfair on competing clubs.

What you are asking is for players that would foreseeably form part of the squad to play for Newtown JRLFC. Now, if a player was not good enough to make the proper squad they would go elsewhere (see above). Alternatively, we make them part of the squad "in secret" and send them down to Newtown JRLFC. Dangerous business. Firstly, you risk contravening the Souths Juniors order (see above paragraph) leading to the Newtown JRLFC receiving fines or suspensions.

Second, the club would not risk telling someone that they are with the JBC squad but then not sign them and send them to the Newtown JRLFC. What you have here is two conflicting contracts - a verbal agreement with Newtown RLFC and the standard player registration with Souths Juniors. When the player gets injured, Souths Juniors may offload liability (quite legitimately) to us (not to mention potential sanctions against the JRLFC for breaching their directive). The verbal contract is a tricky one because whilst valid in a court of law (should the player get injured) a contract for NIL consideration is not valid per NSWRL guidelines. So if the player breached part of his verbal contract with respect to a NSWRL matter, we would have no recourse.

So basically if we don't sign someone (as you suggest) we cannot force them to go anywhere. If we tell them they are in the squad and send them to Newtown JRLFC, that becomes a verbal contract (just as strong as a written one if a player gets injured) and it contravenes Souths Juniors policy. It also becomes a contract unenforceable at the NSWRL. Worthless to newtown in all scenarios. Newtown's hands are tied.

There are plenty of teams in the comp that have several JBC players. Not just in Souths Juniors but in a lot of Juniors comps. It is doable.

As I said above Souths Juniors only allow one CONTRACTED JBC player per team. Other clubs may have many FORMER JBC players but that is because they pay them most likely. If they were all contracted to exisitng JBC clubs they wouldn't be there. What other comps do is irrelevant to our situation. it is not as doable as you make out.

Well our comp starts in march/april. I for one wouldn't mind having these blokes alongside me for that time.

See above about the creation of a contract and contraveneing Souths Juniors.

It would also give JBC coaches a lot more time to look at their squads and deal with any injury concerns early in the season to mid season...

Matto has 2 months of game trials every year plus 3 months of training before that. I don't think he needs more time.

-----

I hope I have answered your questions. Whilst it doesn't spell good news for Newtown JRLFC (or Newtown RLFC for that matter) it is not part of some wider conspiracy to destroy the Newtown JRFLC. There are some elements that think such a conspiracy exist. These elements are best dealt with by ignoring them.

brendothejet

First Grade
Great post mate. Certainly clears up a lot of the technicalities.

I'm not for one second saying that seniors want to hurt the juniors. I suppose its more frustrating than anything because of teams like Moore Park, Paddington, Bondi and a couple of others who seem to be able to pull players out of their butt at will.

in the three seasons i've been at newtown the same thing tends to happen. We get into pre season training and there is about 40 players at training. These blokes have come from Newtown seniors, local comps and out of town (sometimes interstate) and all looks well.

Then the poaching begins.

one by one blokes dissapear into other a grade teams or JBC squads. As you said this is oft because of the $$$.

last year we were lucky in that we had some very genuine guys come along who stuck it out.

The year before however blokes just vanished and we were taking the field each week with 9 blokes and getting smashed.

I think that if Newtown senior was to say to these blokes, look your not in the JBC squad but we want to keep an eye on you and keep you part of the NJRLFC play for the a grade team.

im sure this has been said but we need to do moer to cross promote.

Once again, good post and nice to get some clarification onthe technical parts.

I'm saying any of this to bag anyone off. i'm a competitive bloke and a big fan of Newtown and what the club does. i want to win. I spent a year getting my arse kicked by 50 every week, then last year we kicked the arse by 50 a week just going out in the semis.

i want a trophy and I want the win to be shared by ALL involved at Newtown Jets.