What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colin Best signed?

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
There has been strong talk on the warren that Colin Best has signed with us for 2 years. hasn't been announced yet, but everyone seems pretty sure.

Confirm anyone?

He's a solid first grade standard outside back. We don't have too many of them atm and I don't imagine he was asking a heap so why not! If I find out we've paid anything over 100k for him later, I won't be so happy.

Solid Defender who makes more metres a game than any of our backline by a big margin, he also has solid defence and he offers height to bomb contests, I think this is an under-rated player, and an under-rated signing.

From all the players that are gunna get the axe this year, we will be certainly making a profit, and I dont see how this signing would be any liability.

maybe we are signing him to play fullback ?, tall bloke, strong defence, safe under the high ball ?

Dave Q

Coach
Dave Q assessment: RPI: +4 (slightly above average).

DOB: 22/11/1978
Height: 189cm Weight: 96kg

Colin Best
Position: Centre/Wing

Rep. honours: City Origin 2001
Junior clubs: Engadine Dragons
Prev. clubs: Cronulla 1998-2000, St George-Illawarra 2005-2006
FG debut: Cronulla v Norths, Toyota Park, 30/5/98 (Rd 1)
Club debut: v Manly, Brookvale Oval, 17/3/07 (Rd 1)

Best_Colin_08Hmedium.jpg

Source: NRL.com

In runs he's averaging over 100m per match, NRL average is about 25% less. He goes OK.

Last edited:
Been going guns in the centres for the last few weeks, which I think is his best position, no pun intended :p

It was just announced on WIN news in canberra apparently that he has signed with you guys.

skeepe

Immortal
He's been far and away Canberra's form back this year. Playing far better than his stint at the Dragons, IMO. Excellent pickup.

However, I can only assume that, as he stated his preference was to remain in Canberra and the Raiders offered a similar contract (1 year) that the Rabbitohs offered substantially more money than the Raiders to secure his signature.

Dave Q

Coach
Cheers raider guests.

We dont believe anyone has signed until we actually see them running out in their Souths kit. Even then, some of them play like they are working for the opposition!

dangardave

Juniors
However, I can only assume that, as he stated his preference was to remain in Canberra and the Raiders offered a similar contract (1 year) that the Rabbitohs offered substantially more money than the Raiders to secure his signature.

He signed for 2 years which was the deciding factor. I hear it was for a reasonable amount, not the "overs" we are used to seeing at Souths.

Zigwaa

Bench
Lol you Rabbitohs never fail to deliver...

You know he's 31 next year aye...

Agreed, terrible signing if true.

I thought we learnt our lesson on signing old players well past it, but we haven't.

Should change our name to Del Bolka Vista Rabbitohs, retirement home for NRL players.

Why would we sign this nuffie and not hodgson?

Last edited:

Ari Gold

Bench
Agreed, terrible signing if true.

I thought we learnt our lesson on signing old players well past it, but we haven't.

Should change our name to Del Bolka Vista Rabbitohs, retirement home for NRL players.

Why would we sign this nuffie and not hodgson?[/quote]

$$$$

Wicks

Juniors
He's been far and away Canberra's form back this year. Playing far better than his stint at the Dragons, IMO. Excellent pickup.

Bests dummy half running was one of the reasons the Dragons did well in 2005 Had more tries and line breaks that year than in the last three years

When the ball mainly went to Gasnier Cooper Naiqama and Hornby or Greenshields he did the job of splitting the defence and giving the forwards and other backs quick play the balls to work off

Better in defence on the left and a good centre option and he gets more ball at Canberra and deserves it but he did more in fewer opportunities at the Dragons

They had too many outside backs coming through to sign him

Canberra seem to be in a similar situation

Last edited:

rabs

Staff member
heres the news

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Cl...sign-Shannan-McPherson-for-2009-and-2010.html

Rabbitohs Sign Colin Best and Re-sign Shannan McPherson for 2009 and 2010

20 Jun 2008

BestMcPhersonDetail-4606a763-90a0-4647-a619-41c4c7a84391.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have announced today that representative centre Colin Best will join the Rabbitohs for the 2009 and 2010 seasons, with the Club also re-signing young back-rower Shannan McPherson for 2009 and 2010.

Best, 29, is currently playing with the Canberra Raiders, having previously had stints at the Cronulla Sharks, Hull FC and St George Illawarra Dragons. Best represented City Origin in 2001 and has played in six NRL finals series with both the Sharks and the Dragons. Best has over 150 first grade games to his name in the NRL.

McPherson, 22, is a South Sydney junior from the South Eastern Seagulls, progressing through the South Sydney junior representative teams to make his first grade debut in 2005. McPherson has become a regular first grader with South Sydney over the past 12 months, playing in eight of the Rabbitohs’ 12 games so far this season.

“We’re very pleased to be bringing someone to the Club with Colin’s experience and strike power,” Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said.

“Colin has been one of the Raiders’ best players over the past couple of years and his experience in finals football will be invaluable to the young players we have coming through the ranks at the moment.

“His ability to play centre or wing will give us some flexibility out wide as well.

“It’s also wonderful to see another South Sydney junior showing his allegiance to his junior club, as Shannan has done today.

“He will join other Souths juniors such as Nathan Merritt, John Sutton, Fetuli Talanoa and Craig Wing on extended contracts with the Rabbitohs.”

Biographies

Name: Colin Best
DOB: 22 November 1978
Junior Club: Engadine Dragons
Position: Centre/Wing
Height: 189cm
Weight: 96kg
Rep Honours: City Origin 2001
Previous Clubs: Sharks 1998-2002, Hull FC 2003-04, Dragons 2005-06, Raiders 2007-08
First Grade debut: Sharks vs Bears, Toyota Park, 30 May 1998 (Round 1)
NRL Games: 157
NRL Tries: 77
NRL Points: 308

Name: Shannan McPherson
DOB: 12 December 1985
Junior Club: South Eastern Seagulls
Position: Lock/Second row
Height: 185cm
Weight: 95kg
First Grade debut: Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs, Sydney Showground, 4 June 2005 (Round 13)
NRL Games: 24
NRL Tries: 1
NRL Points: 4

Latest posts