What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Immortal
Really? who are these investors with $50mill to burn on a new start up in the NRL? That depends, neither you nor I know if A) they actually exist B) what they were offering in return for the % equity they wanted C) if they offered more than just money (which at the time the consortium with its 6 investors felt they had enough of).
I get the Sydney Kings guys investment, he brings a wealth of successful sports business experience and sports media abilities to the table as well as $4mill. Investors aren't just about the money they are offering but also what value add to the business they can bring. I guess the B grade Bears comedian guy could have done some crowd warm ups before the game!

End of day investors know for themselves what they think a business is worth and what % of it they want for their investment. If you've got 6 investors putting in $30mill, then to get another $20mill you have to have those original investors effectively accept a significantly lower % of ownership and return for their $30mill investment.

So again it comes back to, is $50mill a good investment in a new start up NRL club? Considering 50% of Dragons was sold for $10mill and one of the biggest established NRL clubs was last year valued at $47mill you'd probably say not.
The first investors didn’t think investing so much was a good idea

The new ones do

Perth Red

Post Whore
The first investors didn’t think investing so much was a good idea

The new ones do
lets see, nothing in public or media speculation at all about new investors. I know that wasnt the plan B, but I also know Plan B was unrealistic (theres a really great irony to Plan B I cant share yet but hopefully can one day!) , lets see what the next plan is. We still dont know if the original bid has gone back with a counter offer.

Trifili13

Juniors
Short story to all this is if the WA or Perth Bears (or whatever you want to call them) bid had put in 20m or something reasonable or the ARLC stipulated at figure that could be divvied up amongst the clubs they would have a licence now.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
lets see, nothing in public or media speculation at all about new investors. I know that wasnt the plan B, but I also know Plan B was unrealistic (theres a really great irony to Plan B I cant share yet but hopefully can one day!) , lets see what the next plan is. We still dont know if the original bid has gone back with a counter offer.
Personally I wouldn’t call it a counter offer if it was originally $0 to begin with. It would just be an offer I’d imagine.

Whatever your plan B is or you think it is I guarantee you it actually isn’t. Optically it looks like the Cumins Consortium was the plan b. Seems pretty clear PVL never wanted to work with or entertain the bloke and the preference was always WA Government first and foremost.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Short story to all this is if the WA or Perth Bears (or whatever you want to call them) bid had put in 20m or something reasonable or the ARLC stipulated at figure that could be divvied up amongst the clubs they would have a licence now.
Or maybe the NRL is over-estimating the value of an NRL start up club and no-one is going to pay $50mill for one?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I wouldn’t call it a counter offer if it was originally $0 to begin with. It would just be an offer I’d imagine.

Whatever your plan B is or you think it is I guarantee you it actually isn’t. Optically it looks like the Cumins Consortium was the plan b. Seems pretty clear PVL never wanted to work with or entertain the bloke.
I'll believe the person who told me who is much much closer to all this than you or I are.

If that's true it's pretty disgusting they didn't tell the consortium that at EoI stage. Shambles.

I have little doubt Cumins thinks little of Vlandys, imagine putting millions of $'s of your own money into supporting grassroots RL for 20 years then the chairman of the game coming out and calling your state a waste of money! He was pretty vocal in what he thought of Vlandys in 2019!

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I'll believe the person who told me who is much much closer to all this than you or I are.

If that's true it's pretty disgusting they didn't tell the consortium that at EoI stage. Shambles.
On your first point - Doubt it. Theres multiple parties in this. Isn’t just a one horse stable.

Secondly, Cumins never thought to call PVL and have a chat? I mean the whole time I never once heard PVL mention WA Consortium or Cumins directly. It’s always Roger Cook or WA Government.

Surely after the 6th time, Cumins should have picked up the phone and had a chat? Seems like he never engaged PVL. This has come from Andrew Webster and Michael Carayannis on two different media platforms. Webby was a poddy and Carayannis wrote about it inside an article,

Perth Red

Post Whore
On your first point - Doubt it. Theres multiple parties in this. Isn’t just a one horse stable.

Secondly, Cumins never thought to call PVL and have a chat? I mean the whole time I never once heard PVL mention WA Consortium or Cumins directly. It’s always Roger Cook or WA Government.

Surely after the 6th time, Cumins should have picked up the phone and had a chat? Seems like he never engaged PVL. This has come from Andrew Webster and Michael Carayannis on two different media platforms. Webby was a poddy and Carayannis wrote about it inside an article,
And my source is from one of the 3 key players. So yeh I think I'll trust what he had to say.

The consortiums response to that was WA govt and Freshwater strategy would take the lead in negotiations. They did meet with Beattie, you know the commissioner responsible for the expansion strategy, a number of times.
Like I said there is bad blood between them from Vlandys ridiculous 2019 comments. If that was a show stopper for the ARLC then they should have told them at EoI stage, not in October!

Wb1234

Immortal

I have little doubt Cumins thinks little of Vlandys, imagine putting millions of $'s of your own money into supporting grassroots RL for 20 years then the chairman of the game coming out and calling your state a waste of money! He was pretty vocal in what he thought of Vlandys in 2019!
Your horse is running last

Wb1234

Immortal
And my source is from one of the 3 key players. So yeh I think I'll trust what he had to say.

The consortiums response to that was WA govt and Freshwater strategy would take the lead in negotiations. They did meet with Beattie, you know the commissioner responsible for the expansion strategy, a number of times.
Like I said there is bad blood between them from Vlandys ridiculous 2019 comments. If that was a show stopper for the ARLC then they should have told them at EoI stage, not in October!
Bad blood with pvl huh

Makes sense why pvl punted him then doesn’t it

wb2027

Juniors
The consortiums response to that was WA govt and Freshwater strategy would take the lead in negotiations.
If PVL is still negotiating with the WA govt then hopefully Freshwater will be held more accountable for missing the mark this time after getting the Dolphins over the line.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
And when you share it, I won’t believe it.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Straight from the horses mouth lad.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So Moron Matt and wbtiktok are reduced to using the laugh emoji. I'd call you peanuts but that would be an insult to the humble legume.

Latest posts