What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colin Love Awarded for Services to RL

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
?????!!!!!!

http://www.rlif.org/article.php?id=1171

RLIF said:
RLIF chairman recieves OAM
Friday, 26th January 2007

Australian Rugby league chairman Mr Colin Love today was named as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in recognition of his contribution to Rugby League and to sports law.

With long-serving St George-Illawarra official Bob Millward, Mr Love was one of two current ARL Board members to receive awards on the annual Australia Day Honours list. Mr Millward, foundation secretary of the Illawarra Steelers in 1982, was the recipient of an OAM.

“It’s a wonderful thrill personally, as two things that I have always been very passionate about in my life have been the law and sport, and it’s very special when you’re able to combine your profession with your passion,” said Mr Love, “But as far as I am concerned this is an award that belongs, in the wider sense, to the game itself. I have no doubt it is a further indication of the strong standing of Rugby League in the contemporary Australian community. Personally, I can say that it has been a very great privilege and pleasure to have been involved in the game over the years.”

Mr Love has been ARL Chairman since 1999 – and is also chairman of both the NSW Rugby League and the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF).

He is only the 7th Chairman of the Australian Rugby League, and the 11th chairman of the foundation body, the NSWRL, in the game’s 99 year history.

Mr Love, who acquired his law degree at Sydney University after matriculating from Sydney Boys High, began his association with Rugby League when he was involved with contract negotiations for players in the late 1970’s. He was retained as the League’s solicitor soon afterwards - a position he held for several years before being elected chairman in 1999.

Mr Love today paid tribute to his predecessors in Rugby League administration and declared he was looking forward to one of the most exciting and important periods in the game’s history.

“As Chairman, I am aware at all times of the men who were in office before me – the likes of Harry ‘Jersey’ Flegg, Bill Buckley and Ken Arthurson, such wonderful contributors and loyal workers for the game virtually throughout their lives,” Mr Love said.

“I am a great believer in the old League adage that: “Those of us who drank the water should never forget those who dug the well.

“It's a source of privilege and pride to be at the head of the game as 2008 approaches, knowing that the Centenary will be a wonderful time for rugby league - a time of both reflection and great celebration.”

For Bob Millward, today’s announcement that he had been awarded an OAM recognised a lifetime of service to the game.

Mr Millward has been involved in the administration of Rugby League since 1965, chiefly in the Illawarra district, and was instrumental in the creation of the Steelers in 1982.
As the Steelers’ Chief Executive from 1982-98, Mr Millward was a central figure in club’s joint venture arrangement forged with St George in 1999, and remains a member of the board of directors of the NSWRL (since 1995), the ARL (since 1997), the NRL (since 2000) and of both Illawarra and St George-Illawarra club boards.

“Whoever coined the phrase “the greatest game of all” about Rugby League wasn’t wrong - and I am just honoured to be a part of the game and certainly feel a sense of privilege today to have received such an award,” said Mr Millward said.

“Very few people have these sorts of honours bestowed upon them, and almost always they are not achieved individually - they are achieved with the support of many people.
“I’ve always maintained that Rugby League is a team sport both on and off the field, and while I feel very honoured, the reality is there are so many people deserving of credit in the game.

“I’m looking forward to being apart of 2007 and the lead-up to our game’s Centenary year, which will bring us the World Cup and the start of a national youth competition. It’s an exciting time in the game and it’s great to have the chance to be part of it and part of the future.”

The game’s leading administrators paid tribute to Mr Love AM and Mr Millward OAM today, praising their contribution to the game.

“Colin’s award is a fitting recognition of someone who has made and continues to make an enormous contribution to Rugby League,” NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said.
“I join everyone in the NRL in congratulating him and also Bob Millward who is widely respected as one of the game’s ‘guiding hands’.”

ARL Chief Executive, Mr Geoff Carr, said;
“Colin Love and Bob Millward have been invaluable contributors to our game and it goes without saying their awards are most deserved.

“The League is privileged to have in its service such esteemed members of the wider Rugby League community, and our heartfelt congratulations are with both Mr Love and Mr Millward for their achievements.”

screeny

Bench
Point of order! Millward's wrong: it's not 'the greatest game of all'; it's 'the greatest game'.

brendothejet

First Grade
its for services to rugby league...'

doesn't say whether its awarded for beneficial services or not...

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Sid Millar of the evil empire would have been a better choice for services to rugby league...what next, Adolf Hittler getting the Nobel peace prize posthumously??

Give us all strength!

steeden.

Juniors
services to rugby league?!?!?!?!?!?!?! If the RLWC is a success, and Mr Love had played an instrumental role in it being successful, then by all means give it to him. If the position held as much sway as in Arko's day my opinion on the matter might've been more favourable to him.

shaggy

Juniors
to be fair it was his idea to host the rugby league sevens & he put a lot of effort into organising the event, he has been working for the arl for all up over 20 years now (according to the article), state of origin, city country, tri nations & the bundy test are under his control & the different events have all done well since 1999

Latest posts