What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonial Cup Game 4

deal.with.it

Juniors
USA 30 - 22 Canada

Squads:
USA TOMAHAWKS SQUAD:
Casey Clarke, CJ Cortalano, Gabe Farley, Michael Garvey, Gareth Gibbs, Luke Hume, Siose Muliumu, Mark Offerdahl, Damien O’Malveney, Apple Pope, Craig Priestly, Josh Rice, Mike Schacter, Brent Shorten, Les Solia, Salesi Tongamoa, Louis Tulio, Dusten Umeda, Matt Walsh, Taylor Welch

CANADA:
Robin Legault (Toronto City Saints)
Lucas Silver (Toronto Centurions)
Geoff Bylund (Toronto City Saints)
Jamie Beaton (Surrey Beavers)
Brett King (Oakville Crusaders)
Matt Wyles (c) (Toronto Centurions)
Jamie Lester (Toronto City Saints)
Eric Moyer (Toronto Centurions)
Adam Moody (Toronto City Saints)
Enoch Wamalwa (Toronto City Saints)
Christian Miller (Toronto Centurions)
Ben Fleming (Toronto Centurions)
Craig Leveridge (Oakville Crusaders)
Joe Perez-Bangay (Toronto City Saints)
Tony Felix (Toronto Centurions)
Henry Miers (Toronto Centurions)
Rob Autagavaia (Toronto City Saints)

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Even though the Canadians lost the series 3-1, there is a lot of promise there, they have shown to be very competitive against a much more experienced squad. Hopefully better things to come from Canada in the future, should be some good WC qualifiers down the track between the US, Canada, Jamaica and South Africa if they stay in the Atlantic division. And this is exactly what we want to see, meaningful WC qualifiers in each region.

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ They need to be playing regular domestic matches if they want to narrow the gap. Hopefully the CRL realize this.

IowaRL

Juniors
Even though the Canadians lost the series 3-1, there is a lot of promise there, they have shown to be very competitive against a much more experienced squad. Hopefully better things to come from Canada in the future, should be some good WC qualifiers down the track between the US, Canada, Jamaica and South Africa if they stay in the Atlantic division. And this is exactly what we want to see, meaningful WC qualifiers in each region.

Don't forget Trinidad and Tobago!

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Don't forget as well that the Canadians are arguably using only half their players. British Columbia has a solid program yet only one BC player is on the Wolverines. I realize this has everything to do with money, and hopefully someday that will change. What I would really like to see is a game between Ontario and BC. For all intents and purposes this game would actually be the BC Bulldogs against the Canada Wolverines. I think BC would win the game. Again, money is the key.

south

Juniors
Don't forget as well that the Canadians are arguably using only half their players. British Columbia has a solid program yet only one BC player is on the Wolverines. I realize this has everything to do with money, and hopefully someday that will change. What I would really like to see is a game between Ontario and BC. For all intents and purposes this game would actually be the BC Bulldogs against the Canada Wolverines. I think BC would win the game. Again, money is the key.

I have heard the BC Bulldogs have a good team but I have also heard it is full of imports. How many current BC Bulldogs could play for Canada if selected?

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I have heard the BC Bulldogs have a good team but I have also heard it is full of imports. How many current BC Bulldogs could play for Canada if selected?
I asked one of the three people I feel would know the answer to your question. His response - "14 out of 18 players in the last game (would be eligible for Canada). Next game should be approx. same." The Bulldogs last game was against, I believe, a Western US squad.

Poul

Juniors

lt'd be good to see BC v Ontario used as a selection trial for the Wolverines prior to the Colonial Cup.

I know money would be a big issue. Is there any chance that the Colonial Cup may have generated any revenue for the CRL? If so, would any of this revenue be distributed to BC?

For the 3 games held in Toronto there were (according to the CRL website), a total of 15,472 spectators.
I don't know if all of them would necessarily have purchased a ticket, but I think an average attendance for each game of over 5,000 is fantastic.
I'm curious as to what marketing and promotion was responsible for achieving this success, and how it might be built on in future years.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
If I were a betting man, I would say that most, if not all of the profits, from the Wolverine games in Toronto will stay in Ontario. Having spent my life involved in sport I can tell you, that is the way it is in all sports in Canada. And I have been told by "people in the know" that rugby league has not escaped that fact.

Latest posts