What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Premier League Team

tigerstu

Juniors
Is it not about time that there was a combined Wests Tigers Premier League team? I think this is a necessary and vital step in the Wests and Balmain joint venture in order for the clubs and the 1st grade team to be successful. Not only would all the talented up and coming players get to play together more often, it might actually save boths clubs some money which could be spent on many things like fixing up Leichardt Oval or buying new 1st grade players. Having 2 feeder teams for our 1st grade club might seem attractive to many people, but having the cream of our young talent all playing together would be much more beneficial in my opinion.

tiger78

Juniors
I agree 100%, unfortunately most people here on the forum don't. I would love us to be all together, and watch our players playing together every week I hate the fact that when Balmain play Wests guys that were team mates last week play against each other this week.
My thoughts are if you're in something your in 100%, I don't think the current structure serves that.
It's like being married weekdays, but single on the weekend, we are either together (Wests and Balmain) or not, it has never made sense to me.
I am a Balmain football club member and voted for the joint venture, I now follow Wests just as strongly as Balmain, but the Wests Tigers are what I really care about.
I know most people won't agree but its how I feel, I would love the club to be 1.

yappy

Bench
If you want to have a say on merging the two clubs join the football club (either Balmain or Wests), wait the three years to become a voting member and if you like agitate for another vote on the issue. Otherwise sod off and mind your own business, and trust me if you can't be bothered (or are too young) to become a member of either football club then it is none of your business.

DA

Juniors
I’ve been in favour of merging the Premier League teams from day one. The elite competition is the NRL, it is what MOST people care about, and one strong reserve grade side has to be more beneficial to Wests Tigers.
I have been a Wests Magpies fan for 37 years, and those who know me know how much I love my beloved Maggies, but I am also a realist. The Premier League competition is a reserve grade competition. It is a feeder comp to the NRL. And I also concede the Wests Maggies and Balmain Tigers will never be back in the NRL. Wests Tigers are our only hope for a presence in the best comp.
Still, if the majority of members don’t want it to happen, so be it. That is a democracy. Isn’t it.

yappy

Bench
excellent work t78. I have no probs with any members who want to push it - as DA said it's their right as members. It's just tiring that the same ole kite gets flown every year, mostly by those who don't put their hard earned up front to become members, and all the while when it seems clear a solid majority of those who do wouldn't have a bar of it.

tigger

Juniors
Merging the clubs will be the final nail in the coffin. The major reason for not integrating the PL teams (besides the fact that the Magpies suck, always have & always will) is that it would then make it almost impossible for either JV partner to exit the JV if the opportunity arose. Everyone sayd that Balmain or the Magpies have no chance of ever coming back.... do you the NRL? Do you know exactly what their plans are? Are you sleeping with David Gallop perhaps? No? What a surprise!

How many people honestly thought that the NRL would basically force clubs like Balmain to throw the Magpies a lifeline even 18 months before it happened? No one?

You cannot predict what happens just because you think you are clever :roll:

tigerstu

Juniors
I have been a member of the football club for almost 3 years (and yes... I am over the age of 18 ), I await with anticipation to when I can vote in favour for the merger of our reserve grade sides. Have they voted on this issue the past few years at the football clubs? How would it work... both Wests and Balmain clubs voting at least 75% in favour and then both boards having to agree to work together?!

I understand the loyalties people have for both Balmain and Wests, but the reality is that unless you just support the lower grades and ignore the rest... the Wests Tigers should be our main focus and concern. In order for this to happen and for it to be successful, we need concistancy right across the field and the most obvious and logical step I can see is to have 1 first grade side and 1 premier league side. Whether this would also extend to lower grades like SG Ball, I don't know. Obvioulsy there doesnt have to be a combined under 12's side.... but the sooner we start developing the best of the young players and the sooner they start playing consistant, high quality football... the better it will be for the future of our first grade team.

tiger78

Juniors
Well done tigerstu.
Yappy you are right it is democracy but unless we discuss it we won't really know what the issues are.

westie

Bench
* Both clubs are sponsored so funding is not really an issue.

* Many of the best players would piss off to other clubs because there is no longer a place for them in the team.

* The Cubs initiative and training with the first grade squad and resultingly each other means that the main arguement of having them play with each other is irrelevant.

* Tiger78; you mention Wests playing Balmain as a bad thing. You obviously wern't at Leichhardt last year for a midweek game between the two. If that wasn't in my top 5 experiences at games ever then I don't know what is. While there is a healthy rivalry it's hardly a negative one. Infact it's the game you look forward to all year.

The fact is, it won't be happening for years.

tiger78

Juniors
yes it may not happen but I believe it should. It's my right also to not like our players playing against each other. Westie you say many of the better players would piss off, why do you say that?, my thoughts on the 2 premier league teams is that there is a fair bit of "deadwood" there that at the moment that will never see NRL again.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
It is a toss up between:

MERGING:
- Loosing whats left of our two beloved clubs and nearly 100 years of tradition
- Even less games played at Cambo/Leichardt
- Younger players mixing together and forming combinations early
- $$$ saved

or NOT MERGING:
- Retaining our proud history
- Serving the Community
- Greater "catchment" ability of youger players
- Unique opportunity that no other club has (Advantage or Disadvantage)
- Playing more at Cambo/Leichhardt
- More $$$ spent

For me, I would want them NOT to merge.

Tigerpete

Juniors
At the moment we are seeing the benefits of why we should keep things as they are, i think the only thing that could ever draw them together is finances.

gr8_1

Juniors
I have mixed feelings about this issue.

One argument been thrown around is that having two Pl teams means we have more players to choose from for first grade. How many of these players could actually cut it at first grade level is my question ? This year has shown that there is only a handful of players in PL that could actually step up. Like someone else said "there is a lot of deadwood in PL".

The only benefit I see is to keep both parties happy. It leaves both camps with a bit of tradition to hold on to. Been an old magpie, I love watching the boys running around still, even if its in a 2nd tier competition. But, in saying that my main following is now of the Wests Tigers.

In the short term things will stay as they are. Two PL teams and two home grounds.

In the long term, when the new generation take over, I do see the Wests Tigers having one 2nd tier team and one home ground.

IMO of cause.

innsaneink

Referee
gr8_1 said:

One argument been thrown around is that having two Pl teams means we have more players to choose from for first grade. How many of these players could actually cut it at first grade level is my question ? This year has shown that there is only a handful of players in PL that could actually step up. Like someone else said "there is a lot of deadwood in PL".

The only benefit I see is to keep both parties happy. It leaves both camps with a bit of tradition to hold on to. Been an old magpie, I love watching the boys running around still, even if its in a 2nd tier competition. But, in saying that my main following is now of the Wests Tigers.

In the short term things will stay as they are. Two PL teams and two home grounds.

In the long term, when the new generation take over, I do see the Wests Tigers having one 2nd tier team and one home ground.

IMO of cause.

Man thats scary.....my feelings exactly.

I see a case for both sides of the argument....though I'm starting to lean towards a combined PL team. Only for the betterment of the first grade team.

Suzie

Juniors
innsaneink said:
gr8_1 said:

IMO of cause.

Man thats scary.....my feelings exactly.

I see a case for both sides of the argument....though I'm starting to lean towards a combined PL team. Only for the betterment of the first grade team.
Yeah, that was well said Gr8_1

Latest posts