What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Premier League Team

EWS

Juniors
I hate the fact that when Balmain play Wests guys that were team mates last week play against each other this week.

Not a fan of Oigin I see.

Gobbso

Juniors
I can see a case for and against the unification of the lower grades, although I for one would vote against the motion. I'm a Football club member of Western Suburbs and would definitely vote no against merging the lower grades. Why? Because i continue to support the game and this Joint-Venture because Western Suburbs still exists. Their presence as a football club, name, colours, teams, tradition, history as well as the Magpie continue to live on. It's the reason we all started supporting Rugby League in the first place. The whole concept of a Joint-Venture is that the two business that have established a partnership continue to exist as sole entity's although have a equal contribution and vested initerested in the new entity itself, which is Wests Tigers.

westie

Bench
tiger78 said:
yes it may not happen but I believe it should. It's my right also to not like our players playing against each other. Westie you say many of the better players would piss off, why do you say that?, my thoughts on the 2 premier league teams is that there is a fair bit of "deadwood" there that at the moment that will never see NRL again.

I respect your right to wish that they would merge but I ask you to respect my right to get up you for your lack of knowledge about the lower grades. There just arent enough places in one team to house the young talent we have coming through. Already Wests are offloading players to mittagong and the like --- Balmain to Ryde-Eastwood.

What happens when we have our full quota of players. Say it's like this: Beuttner, Wilson, Halatau, Collis, Harrison, Fitzy, Elford all fighting for a center spot. You guys are still out to sign even more centers in Monaghan and the like. Then you have players like Trimarchi and Pangai coming through. Now my maths isnt that good but 10 doesn't go into 4 any way you look at it.

Now either we get rid of experience and have a team of teenagers or we keep them and lose the future to other teams. Why, so they dont play against each other once or twice a year? Perhaps you've been living under a rock but all the players in the NRL are mates regardless of what team they come from. (Except mabey Hoppa and Stapleton)

Why change a winning formula? Balmain should be able to hold onto the top 8 and Wests will make a charge if they can find the ever elusive consistency they are searching for. Wests are the sort of side that could pull a premiership out of no where especially as there aren't teams with the class of Canberra of '03 running around any more. What more cold you ask for?

tiger78

Juniors
^^^^ Strange argument considering both teams aren't exactly setting the premier league competition on fire, both teams are ordinary at best and are as i said full of dead wood.
I think what is happening is the opposite of what your saying, instead of being choke full of young talent we have guys like Ken Mcguinness, Nik Graham and Tere Glassie there who are good players but have absolutely 0% chance of seeing NRL again.

tiger78

Juniors
Should be a fierce competition for spots, not just a retirement home for has beens. How many premier league teams do the Broncos and Roosters have??? Seems to be working for them.

tiger_nick

Bench
I wouldnt like them too merge but I could live with it. How good would it be to see a Balmain v Norths Grand Final or Western Suburbs v Canterbury. I would love that!

I sat in the stands for the Kogarah game with many Dragons fans and during 1st division they were envying me watching my Balmain Tigers. They said how good it was seeing the black and gold jersey running round @ Kogarah.

Anyways it gives me two teams too support in 1st division. Last year I was supporting Wests hard in the PL semies!

tigpie cam

Juniors
yappy said:
excellent work t78. I have no probs with any members who want to push it - as DA said it's their right as members. It's just tiring that the same ole kite gets flown every year, mostly by those who don't put their hard earned up front to become members, and all the while when it seems clear a solid majority of those who do wouldn't have a bar of it.
so if you are a member you can have an opinion and if not you should mind your own business? sounds like a nazi policy yappy! i support both the magpies and wests tigers and believe we should merge for the good of first grade. and if you dont like it you can grab a spoon and eat my.........

tigerstu

Juniors
Thanks for your opinions guys and girls... I really didn't expect such a strong opposition to this. I understand where most people are coming from, loyalties are strong and I must agree I do love seeing the old Balmain boys going around with the balck and gold V jumpers on. But I think I would probably get more excited with a stronger and highly competetive Wests Tigers premire league team... where everyone on that teams knows they have to play there hearts out and is only 1 step away from playing in the NRL. I would love to hear some players opinions on this, as I can't help but think that 2 premier legue teams is a detraction for people to stay at the club. They have less chance of making it to 1st grade and would not exactly inspire loyalty to the Wests Tigers if they think they could have a better chance at another club. Have a look at Covell... he has just signed to the Sharks and I am really peeved at this, as I think in a year or 2 he would be a regular, top quality first grader. But he would rather leave Wests Tigers because the winger spots are too competetive with at least 6 players to choose from, he has a muxh better chance of playing 1'st grade at the Sharks and it is better for his future. And this is only 1 example... it is happening all around the park. We develop the young players, they hit the brink of playing in 1st grade, but sign to another club because Wests and Balmain and the fans can't swallow their pride and do what is best for the future of both clubs and the solidarity of 1 team. I hated having to merge as much as anyone... but it has happened and now we have to make the most of it, because this is it guys... this is our future... the WESTS TIGERS!

Gus22

Juniors
The merger was agreed to by both clubs with the understanding that Wests & Balmain would maintain their identity in a second tier competetion. I suspect members would have voted against the merger had they been advised that the lower grades would also be merged. To do so now seems underhanded to me.

westie

Bench
tiger78 said:
^^^^ Strange argument considering both teams aren't exactly setting the premier league competition on fire, both teams are ordinary at best and are as i said full of dead wood.
I think what is happening is the opposite of what your saying, instead of being choke full of young talent we have guys like Ken Mcguinness, Nik Graham and Tere Glassie there who are good players but have absolutely 0% chance of seeing NRL again.

Nick Graham and the like would still play PL regardless of how many teams we had. Tere is one of the best players in either team.

As I said, if Magpies turn up for the rest of the season there is no reason why they can't go all the way. If you think that getting rid of all the older blokes and putting the guys with potential into the side is going to acheive consistency you're crazy.

Pointless issue any way, the majority of members realise the situation and as such a merger isn't in the immediate future.

mono_mal

Juniors
Just a side thought.
If a merger of the Premier League teams was voted in by football club members would Balmain and Wests fans support thier teams inclusion in the Jim Beam Cup?
This would at least preserve the clubs identities at a senior level and more than likely strengthen the Wests Tigers as a club.
The excess PL players could be loaned out to the respective JBC teams.

tigerstu

Juniors
I am pretty sure most people would support Wests and Balmain teams in whatever grades they are playing in, and seeing fans head out to see Jim Beam Cup games would be a welcome sight I am sure.

Wouldn't it be great to see the same Premier league team play before every Wests Tigers match? I get annoyed that everytime I go see a match I don't know which Premier League side is going to play... sure I support whoever it is, but I don't get to follow the players development as much as I would like because I only get to see half of the Balmain games and half the Wests games.

tiger78

Juniors
Thats a frustration for me too, because I live 2 hours from Leichhardt and Campbelltown I cant get to the non NRL matches so I only get to see a handful of each team.

Latest posts