What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Come clean Sam

jc155776

Coach
Just read an article where it mentions Stonestreet was a member of the Luke Covell fan club.

Those posters were some of the funniest trolls to grace these forums, a bunch of high school kids who made me laugh with their posts…

100% you are out there Sam…. good luck on Sunday!

Also I’d love to see the Covell fan club posters back again with the same unhinged hilarity we saw for Covell.

Remember the tribute video made set to The Foo Fighters song hahaha, great times.

From fan boy to the field: Inside Sharks superfans’ NRL debut

Sam Stonestreet still has the autograph book he would carry to every Sharks game.
A fan of Cronulla since he was four-years-old, Stonestreet would watch every game with his family from the hill, quickly joining the supporters club of popular Sharks winger Luke Covell.
The local junior from De La Salle Caringbah, who played all of his junior footy directly across the road from PointsBet Stadium, remembers sitting on the hill in 2013 when Andrew Fifita busted out his famous lawnmower at a post-try celebration.
Cronulla Sharks NRL debutant Sam Stonestreet. Picture: Supplied

The rookie Sharks winger remembers too, hugging his baby brother Jack and crying the moment in 2016 that finally, Cronulla had secured their historic first premiership.
Which is what makes his boyhood dream on Sunday even more special.
“It’s pretty surreal when you think about it,” Stonestreet said.
“I cried that day the Sharks won the grand final.
“I watched Chad Townsend and Val Holmes win the game for us and now I’m going up against them on the weekend.”
There’s few things better in rugby league than a local junior making their NRL debut.
That’s what Stonestreet, 21, will achieve against Townsend and Holmes’ Cowboys at PointsBet Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
With speed, size and power, Stonestreet replaces the suspended Sione Katoa.
After progressing all the way through the Sharks pathways, he has been handed his first grade debut following an outstanding pre-season and an impressive 19 tries in 26-games in the NSW Cup.

His trusty Sharks autograph book. Picture: Supplied

His trusty Sharks autograph book. Picture: Supplied
“It’s very special. I grew-up playing my junior footy across the road for De La Salle,” Stonestreet said.
“I’ve been sitting on that Cronulla family hill since I was a kid.
“Luke Covell was my favourite player and Nathan Gardner as well.
“I’ve got a book at home with all the Sharks signatures. Inside the old Leagues club they would have a members day and I would go and get all the Sharks players and get all their signatures.
“With Sione getting charged, I thought I had a good hope (of getting the call-up).
“But I was still shocked when I was told in front of all the boys on Tuesday.”
Stonestreet is the grandson of Ken Stonestreet, who played 142 first-grade games between 1963 and 1972 for Eastern Suburbs and Western Suburbs.
Ask Stonestreet’s father Damien what it is that makes him most proud of his boy and he says one word.
“Resilience,” Damien said.
“I remember he got dropped from the Sharks Harold Matthews team and he had to fight his way back.

“He kept his head down and kept working.
“I was driving to work one morning past our local oval, it was about 6am and I saw this kid training in the middle of June.
“I thought ‘geez that kid looks familiar’, so I looked again and it was Sam.
“He would’ve been 14 and he had gone to the oval by himself to train and fight his way back.
“He didn’t whinge, he just kept going.”
Inundated by messages of support from across the Sutherland Shire community, from his junior footy club, family, friends and even from his former primary school teachers, Stonestreet said he only had one focus.
“I just want the team to win,” Stonestreet said.
“I’m a competitive person, I don’t get nervous before games. And really, at the end of the day it’s just another game of footy.
“I’m going to go out and do my job and get the win for the boys.”

jc155776

Coach
Riccio really nails the article. Just feels good a gets me pumped for the kids (geez I feel old calling him a 21yo a kid) debut. All over an anytime try and the crowd will f**king lose it if it happens. No better place than a Sunday arvo home game in front of a sold out crowd.

Imagine how cool an old school presentation would have been at the leagues club if they won. (Miss the good old post game presso!).

DJDL

Bench
Riccio really nails the article. Just feels good a gets me pumped for the kids (geez I feel old calling him a 21yo a kid) debut. All over an anytime try and the crowd will f**king lose it if it happens. No better place than a Sunday arvo home game in front of a sold out crowd.

Imagine how cool an old school presentation would have been at the leagues club if they won. (Miss the good old post game presso!).

Throw in the fact the team is playing well and that's why I was confident he'd get a run.
No better time to debut.

I'm pumped for this one.
We're finally starting to get a look at generation next.

Kick ass, Sam!

chewsta

First Grade
Good on him, I hope he lights it up. It Would be cool to see the Cov approach Stoney for an autograph at the game, what a feel good story that would make for Fitzy and the Sharks!

Frenzy.

Immortal
Just run hard hold the ball make your tackles.
The rest will come.
Ramien will be big help to him as well
Well, we'll see about that. Jesse is in good form but has struggled with newbs outside him at times. He goes all babysitter and seems to worry about their job more than his own.

dinghydi

Juniors
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere already, but this game is for the Paul Green Medal. Past Great Sharks Player, later Boncos , Cowboys Player and Premiership-winning Coach Also a great representative of the Game of Rugby League and a reminder of the risks these guys take to give us the "greatest game of all"

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere already, but this game is for the Paul Green Medal. Past Great Sharks Player, later Boncos , Cowboys Player and Premiership-winning Coach Also a great representative of the Game of Rugby League and a reminder of the risks these guys take to give us the "greatest game of all"

Yep, aware. Hope Amanda, Emerson and Jed are down to see their favourite Nicho go around.

Inferno

Coach
Ahh Luke Covell. He and Hutch were just about my two favourite players from that era.

Covell presenting him his jersey would be awesome.

Latest posts